Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 11:36:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VIDEO | Marsha Linehan Reveals Her Own Fight with BPD  (Read 1379 times)
BPDFamily
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: June 23, 2011, 11:32:16 AM »

Marsha Linehan Reveals Her Own Fight with Borderline Personality Disorder

Date: Jun-2011Minutes: 2:15

Linehan Reveals Her Own Fight | New York Times

In an article appearing in the New York Times on a June 23, 2011, Marsha M. Linehan shares her struggles with Borderline Personality Disorder and shares a very personal video short.  The article provides interesting insight into both the motivations and the spiritual and scientific influences that lead to Dr. Linehan to develop Dialectical Behavioral Therapy.  The discussion of Radical Acceptance distills this concept down to its very essence.

"Are you one of us?" the patient wanted to know of her therapist, Marsha M. Linehan of the University of Washington, creator of a treatment used worldwide for the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder.

Dr. Linehan had a ready answer. It was the one she always used to cut the question short, whether a patient asked it hopefully, accusingly or knowingly, having glimpsed the macramé of faded burns, cuts and welts on Dr. Linehan’s arms: “You mean, have I suffered?”

“No, Marsha,” the patient replied, in an encounter last spring. “I mean one of us. Like us. Because if you were, it would give all of us so much hope.”

Dr. Linehan, 68, told her story in public for the first time last week before an audience of friends, family and doctors at the Institute of Living, the Hartford clinic where she was first treated for extreme social withdrawal at age 17. A discharge summary, dated May 31, 1963, noted that “during 26 months of hospitalization, Miss Linehan was, for a considerable part of this time, one of the most disturbed patients in the hospital.”  

“So many people have begged me to come forward, and I just thought — well, I have to do this. I owe it to them. I cannot die a coward.”

nytimes.com/2011/06/23/health/23lives.html

MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Together five years, ended suddenly June 2011

Players only love you when they're playing...

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 02:26:59 PM »

This is pretty flipping amazing.  Wow.  Just wow.  This is going to change things, I think, for the better, in terms of public awareness and acceptance of this disorder. 

iluminati

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 03:05:27 PM »

Exactly.  At least people will feel safer about coming out.  Also, I think it'll be a lot easier to sell DBT to persons diagnosed.  It's one thing to say that some psychologist came up with a treatment to help you.  It's completely different to say that someone like you came up with a way to help you.  I've heard a lot from my wife and others from BPD that "they" don't understand.  It's hard to use that line now.  Not impossible, mind you.  But a LOT harder.

He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.~ Matthew 5:45
united for now
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: separated

Talking about solutions create solutions

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 04:28:17 PM »

A marvelous revelation. Truly an inspiration to all the other sufferers, both ordinary and famous.

Change your perceptions and you change your life.  Nothing changes without changes
Sir5r

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 04:39:13 PM »

This is a fantastic thing for everyone that suffers with or cares for someone with BPD. I hope it increases awareness and helps to remove the stigma.

Sir5r

KateCat

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 05:27:45 PM »

What a magnificent revelation! And what hope this will bring to countless people, starting right now.
Steph
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 05:38:54 PM »

I cannot wait to share this with my husband!

Where there was no cure... .for her... .she found one!

Awesome, awesome, awesome!

Shes been our hero for years now... and even more today!   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) xoxo

argyle

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 06:33:21 PM »

Man. I want to send her candy or something. That's incredible. I guess inside experience was really helpful when looking for a cure.

--Argyle
Sir5r

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 05:51:21 PM »

I spoke to our T this morning about this. I had mentioned DBT to him months ago and he told me he was a doctoral student with Linehan.  He said "well now that you know we can talk about that.". He already knew, I guess in the field some knew already.

Sir5r
Togetheritispossible

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 08:24:27 AM »

This is awesome. I have her DVD's to teach try to teach my daughter self awareness and mindfullness... .sitting on a shelf. I do believe we can teach our children at times their reactions to minor irritations... .you know the 0 to 10 off the hook reaction... .can really be taught... we can help them to change their thoughts behind the scenes... .we have seen our children morph into different people at times and be so good and kind in others.

The only problem is we have to sneak in the teachings or have someone else... Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

but... .TOGETHERITISPOSSIBLE

keep the faith

somuchlove
Formerly " t6450"

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 11:22:36 PM »

Would you recommend this reading for someone with BPD that hasn't realized this is an issue for them?  I am ordering the book but will not have time to read for a couple weeks.  Can someone share what the main thing in her book was?  What helped get her going on recovery.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition