Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 05:40:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to ask my T?  (Read 402 times)
Robbz

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: January 29, 2013, 12:53:37 AM »

Anyone got any tips on what to ask my T? Any guidance on what you did in Therapy that really made a difference in your healing? Any stuff to avoid that you felt wasted time? I only get one hour per week so I want to maximize my time and obviously heal as fast as possible not to mention the cost is not cheap. Any responses would be greatly appreciated!
GreenMango
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 01:10:29 AM »

I don't have any great advice but wanted to say good for you for putting your emotional health as a priority.

Maybe just be very honest with the T and yourself. 

This is a good move on your part and you are worth the expense, time and effort. 

Robbz

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 01:17:27 AM »

Well I kind of feel like an idiot as I see my T's eyes lit up in horror and bewilderment at some of the events that happened in the relationship. I kind of want to ask her on a scale of what she hears weekly honestly how screwed up is this relationship compared to what you hear weekly? (She treats BPD's).  I actually want to ask that!
GreenMango
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 01:20:56 AM »

why not ask?

I'd say it's a fair question to ask her.  She may not share, but she may to give you a wake call and to help reset your barometer to "healthy".

Whatwasthat

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 01:23:21 AM »

One bit of advice I'd have. Lots of things will probably occur  to you that you want to ask or tell your T during the week - you'll never remember all of them - note them down as you think of them so that you don't forget to bring them up in the session.

Getting into T is great! Good luck WWT.
Surnia
Retired Staff

Relationship status: 8 y married, divorced since 2012-11-22

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 03:35:02 AM »

Great your are in T, Robbz.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

I would agree, be honest, dont be shy to ask about things!

What I love with my T is having homework. This helps me to be focused on special things between the sessions.

“Don’t shrink. Don’t puff up. Stand on your sacred ground.”  Brené Brown
Confusedandhurt

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 08:47:12 PM »

i've been in T for about two months, and it has helped a great deal.  My T has had a lot of experience with BPDs, but surprisingly enough, not a lot of experience with those recovering from BPD relationships.  I typically bring a lot of questions with me, focusing on why my BPDex would do this or say that.  My T has helped me put her behaviors into context and allowed me to view those behaviors through the lens of a pwBPD.

One of the big things is to be open and honest.  It's a little scary, but I have found it to really help by trusting in someone safe.  My T has characterized my treatment plan as 1) Addressing the current crisis; and 2) Address the underlying issues in myself which enabled me to stay in a toxic relationship and which prevented me from walking away when i was treated like a disposable object.  I'm still in the first stage, as I continue to deal with contact issues from my ex.

Hope this helps!

myself

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 09:10:02 PM »

I agree with taking notes between sessions. When you're having a rough time, for example, jot down you're feelings. Have questions? Ask them. Look at your own patterns, seeing what works for you or keeps you stuck. With a good T, talking through this stuff will really help. May well lead to areas you weren't focusing on, but bringing them to light will be beneficial, in time. Follow through. Most of all, be honest for the best results.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest