Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 06, 2024, 12:21:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eating habbits  (Read 435 times)
Cloudy Days

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: February 08, 2013, 01:36:45 PM »

Ok, my husband has been so freaking awesome lately. And I mean awesome with lots of stress added that should have made him bonkers by now. He has been in Therapy for 7 months now and so I'm sure I can say some of his progress is because of that. But the other thing I noticed is that we have been doing the atkins diet for the past month. He hasn't had hardly any blow ups in the past month. I've seen small things here and there, and he did have a little fit yesterday but It was completly understandable and he stopped and apologised quickly. We watched the Dr. Oz show yesterday and they talked about people with rage and what could be causing it. One of the causes of rage is blood sugar getting too low from not eating. Since we have been on the Atkins diet he stomach is constantly full and his blood sugar isn't going up and down like usual. Could this be why he is being so calm lately? Seriously, I have been waiting for a blow up for weeks. I even accidentally left a pan on the stove the other day and left the house with it on. He got irritated but didn't blow up. That would have been a for sure blow up 2 months ago. Normally he would go all day without eating and wait for me to get home so I could cook him something. He does get verry irritated if he doesn't eat for long periods of time. Drives me nuts that he waits so long to eat only because i am not there to cook for him. He can snack on Deviled eggs or cheese on this diet so he ends up eating before I get home more often than not. Anyways I wondered if anyone has seen something similar or if it is actually the therapy.

It's not the future you are afraid of, it's repeating the past that makes you anxious.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

briefcase
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married 18 years, together 20 years, still living together

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 01:56:33 PM »

I can get low blood sugar (hypoglycemia).  It can definitley cause some rage and also light headedness and other things.  Luckily, my mother also has it and recognized it in me pretty early and helped me learn how to control it (basically eat regularly).  In my case, it's easily controlled by diet. 

I'm not proud of this (and don't recommend it) . . . but when things were bad in my marriage I would sometimes intentionally not eat so that I could try to go toe to toe with my wife's rage when we were arguing.  Even in a hypoglycemic fueled rage, I wasn't any match for her.     It wasn't pretty.

Anyway, for many years I assumed (incorrectly) that my wife's rages were also caused by low blood sugar, and I would often ask her if she was hungry when she went into a rage.  Although I think my wife probably has a little low blood sugar, that was not really her problem--and asking her if she was hungry eventually became a trigger that made her more angry. 

Being aware of this condition is a good thing, because when people have low blood sugar it's definitely easier to get triggered and angry (and very quickly).  Whenever I mention "taking care of yourself" I always mention "eating right" as a way to do this because of my experience with low blood sugar.  By extension, eating right and having wholesome foods and meals is good for everyone, including people with BPD!

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest