Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 06:22:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: struggling today  (Read 377 times)
pixiepie

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: February 18, 2013, 06:32:36 AM »

its been 5 days. I have completely lost my appetite and have frequent moments of panic.

Ive had some contact with the person, but it only did my head in even more. I recently read some of the stuff on this website about listening to feelings, and not getting into conflict but even though I tried it still happened.

our dialogue is strained, he completely invalidates me, and I rolled over like a dog by conceeding to him all the way.

anytime I feel I made a heartfelt point, he would say I was selfish, blind to myself, or not listening. I had a moment where I just wanted to stop living because it was so incredibly stressful.

I feel I have no choice but to have no contact at all with him, but it frightens me. I don't know what to do.
Want2know
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 06:56:53 AM »

I read your situation with your pwBPD and it is a very familiar one, indeed.  Many of the things you wrote, I could have written 3 years ago when I was in the process of detaching from my ex.  It was a difficult, long journey, and am so thankful that I am now on the 'other side' of it.  I do remember the feelings you are having now, though. 

As for having no contact, that may be what you need for the moment to help with your initial detachment and grief.  I see you saw him yesterday... .  that can be triggering, and possibly a cause of your intense feelings right now. 

I understand he was your friend, and then more.  It is going to be challenging for you to fully detach from him, I'm not going to lie about that, however, you can do it, and learn a lot about yourself along the way, if this is what you want.

What is it that you want?

“The path to heaven doesn't lie down in flat miles. It's in the imagination with which you perceive this world, and the gestures with which you honor it." ~ Mary Oliver
Vindi

Relationship status: Living together

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 07:21:50 AM »

NC is hard, nc may make you feel empty, its all part of the process, time to clear your head, take care of you. Do this in small steps only think of NC for a day, then the next day may be easier, Truly NC is the best way to deal with your emotions even though it may not feel that way. Keep doing good things for yourself in the present time also.
pixiepie

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 01:21:06 PM »

hi, and thanks for your responses, I've woken up with anxiety which is really unpleasant, and I've hardly eaten since this occurred because the anxiety absolutely kills my desire for food, plus Im probably punishing myself by withholding.

What I want is to feel normal, and to feel happy. I think about life without him in it, and it feels difficult. It is very hard to 'let go' of the numerous things said, and concentrate on his actions and the outcomes of those actions as a reality. Im left feeling faulty and second rate most of the time.

Despite the fact he stopped going to AA months ago he lambasted me last night that I don't listen to anything he says and have to do stepwork or 'you aren't working a programme' (Im in Alanon). I started going for him, to support him and get support for myself, but even in this he finds fault. My sponsor who is 9 years in Alanon has only just reached step 10 herself, and its been explained to me that stepwork in Alanon is much slower than AA because we're not threatened with death by alcoholism if we don't start. I've explained this to him but he ignores me in preference of his own perspective... .  ironically the very thing he persistantly accuses me of.

What I want, if Im honest I will probably never get and that is the support and care he 'used to' freely provide me. He now reserves that for his other better friends who don't make him feel like I  do and apparently Im the only person who makes him feel 'guilty' about his life and choices. Never mind Im also the only person who knows way more about him than anyone else because hes selective with the truth.

I have 2 major things about to happen, a huge party for my 40th this weekend, which conveniently now he has made sure he won't be attending, which hurts me very much, and some upcoming surgery involving womens health which Im very nervous about (cone biopsy) and when I asked if I may talk to him about that for his support he replied 'email me about it, or whatever'.

I just feel pain and grief.

Tormenta

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 02:59:32 PM »

I´m sorry. This is unfair, I don´t think you deserve this. 

If there was no BPD I think that you could be a nice couple but the BPD changes everything... .  the rules that usually apply to the love relationships do not apply here, like the "support", I mean, in a "Nons" relationship you expect your partner to be with you and support you in the celebration - specially your bd - and in the bad moments - when you need it, when you need to go to the hospital, etc. - in a relationship  with a BPD you expect your partner to let you down in the celebration and in the crisis moments when you more need support, isn´t it?

I´m so sorry.

Can anyone support you with your surgery?

Also, my exBPDbf left me last time in my birthday party, when we were returning home. We never had our birthday fancy lunch we were planning and he didn´t buy me a present - which hurt me a lot  :'(

High five, my partner      Smiling (click to insert in post)

You know what? Next year I´m going to make the birthday party of my life - without him!

Happy birthday! And I hope you have a fun time 

pixiepie

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 06:15:04 PM »

thanks for your support and Im sorry to hear of your own troubles, its so difficult to get through the pain at these times.

I've managed to get up, shower, and do some light housework but I still haven't eaten. Trying to stay out of my head which seems to be such a dangerous place to be right now, and listening to music also seems to help, not sad stuff, upbeat dance music to try and lift my mood.

I feel so incredibly invisible, invalid and unsupported. Through everything hes been through I've given my all. When I need him for anything he flips a lid and stops talking to me. Recently I turned up to his house to spend the evening watching a movie, he works from home and had a really bad day. He was stressed and anxious, so I minismised myself so he could collect himself and complete his work. He hadn't eaten any dinner so I made it for him, he told me he felt like a ciggarette but didn't have any, so I found one for him I had in my car. I stayed out of his work drama and worked behind the scenes to make it as comfortable as possible for him by then not having to contemplate cooking his dinner and whatever else he had to do. His relief was visible. He thanked me for me patience and help and yet if I ask for anything, big or small it is greeted with a no, or a I don't know or a 'we'll see'. Everything I receive is conditional. And conditionally I receive very little from him.

I see him give and give and give to others, of himself, his time his thoughtfulness and yet with me, its too much to ask, its too hard its not interesting enough. I don't know if this is par fot the course but it hurts me badly.
PrettyPlease

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 10:06:38 PM »

What I want is to feel normal, and to feel happy. I think about life without him in it, and it feels difficult.

[snip]

What I want, if Im honest I will probably never get and that is the support and care he 'used to' freely provide me.

[snip]

I just feel pain and grief.

Hi pixiepie,

I read your new member posts, and I'm really sorry you're still in the middle of this. But as other members have said, this is a great place and many people have been through situations like yours. No one's is exactly the same, but there are elements that you can see that are common, if you look at the material here.

And this is the leaving board, so I'm going to assume you're serious about leaving. If not, I suggest you post on the undecided or the staying, where the posters have more experience with those approaches.

If you're leaving, then my take on your stories so far is that you are severely conflicted. Maybe even mostly in the denial stage. This is a necessary stage, so don't feel bad about that. But it's a stage, you go through it, you come out the other side.

In addition to the links the other posters have given, here's one that was key for me. It's the 10 Myths we tell ourselves that keep us stuck.

Lesson 2: 10 Beliefs that can you get stuck

This link leads to other links with an article for each Myth, and at the bottom of that there are also links to a full forum thread where each is discussed by posters.

10 Beliefs + links to forum threads

I read all of them the first few days I came here, and by the end I knew what I'd been missing and what I needed to do. I hope it can help you too. Below I'll paste in the summaries of the 10 myths (this is from the first link).

1) Belief that this person holds the key to your happiness

We often believe that our BPD partner is the master of our joy and the keeper of our sorrow. You may feel that they have touched the very depths of your soul. As hard as this is to believe right now, your perspective on this is likely a bit off. Read more... .  

2) Belief that your BPD partner feels the same way that you feel

If you believe that your BPD partner was experiencing the relationship in the same way that you were or that they are feeling the same way you do right now, don’t count on it. This will only serve to confuse you and make it harder to understand what is really happening. Read more... .  

3) Belief that the relationship problems are caused by you or some circumstance

You concede that there are problems, and have pledged to do your part to resolve them. Because there have been periods of extreme openness, honesty, humanity and thoughtfulness during the relationship, and even during the break-ups, your BPD partners concerns are very credible in your eyes. But your BPD partner also has the rather unique ability to distort facts... .  Read more... .  

4) Belief that love can prevail

Once these relationships seriously rupture, they are harder to repair than most – so many wounds from the past have been opened. Of course you have much invested in the relationship and your partner has been an integral part of your dreams and hopes - but there are greater forces at play now.  For you, significant emotional wounds have been inflicted upon an already wounded soul... .  Read more... .  

5) Belief that things will return to "the way they used to be"

The idealization stages of a relationship with a BPD partner can be intoxicating and wonderful. But, as in any relationship, the "honeymoon" stage passes.

BPD mood swings and cycles may have you conditioned to think that, even after a bad period, you can return to the "idealization". Your BPD partner may believe this too... .  Read more... .  

6) Clinging to the words that were said

We often cling to the positive words and promises that were voiced and ignore or minimalize the negative actions.  “But she said she would love me forever”

Many wonderful and expressive things may have been said during the course of the relationship... .  Read more... .  

7) Belief that if you say it louder you will be heard

We often feel if we explain our point better, put it in writing, or find the right words... .  

People with BPD hear and read very well. But when emotions are flared, the ability to understand diminishes greatly. This implies... .  Read more... .  

8) Belief that absence makes the heart grow fonder

We often think that by holding back or depriving our BPD partner of “our love” – that they will “see the light”. We base this on all the times our partner expressed a fear that we would leave and how they needed us. During an actual breakup it is different. Distancing triggers all kinds of abandonment... .  Read more... .  

9) Belief that you need to stay to help them

You might want to stay to help your partner. Possibly to disclose to them that they have borderline personality disorder and help them get into therapy. Maybe you want to help in other ways while still maintaining a “friendship”.  The fact is, you are no longer in a position to be the caretaker and support person for your BPD partner – no matter how well intentioned.  Understand that you have become the trigger for your BPD partner’s bad feelings and bad behavior... .  Read more... .  

10) Belief that they have seen the light

Your partner may suddenly be on their best behavior or appearing very needy and trying to entice you back into the relationship. You, hoping that they are finally seeing things your way or really needing you, may venture back in – or you may struggle mightily to stay away... .  Read more... .  

PP
pixiepie

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 06:14:00 AM »

thank you, I've taken the time to read these and they were definitely helpful. Made me feel incredibly sad, but alot less 'faulty' as has been my perception up to this juncture. especially number 3 - it all being my fault, he blames my unsuitability for him romantically on what he calls my mental issues... .  it all hurts, but reading through that list gave me a window of clarity today.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest