Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 03:59:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How on earth can I still feel guilty and sorry for her?  (Read 353 times)
Mistified247

« on: February 26, 2013, 04:13:44 AM »

It's been about 9 months since I broke up with my exBPD and I have been much much happier and nearly back to my old self. Although recently I have been feeling sad that I left her all alone, with no friends or family support.

That guilt had subsided, so I don't understand why it has come back? I've begun a new relationship which is going fantastically well, despite me still dealing with my baggage to some degree.

I think it is because I just wish she could find peace. The more I think about the old relationship the more dysfunctional I realise it was. It was effectively almost like a father and child relationship, and I was the parent. It led me into drink too much to deal with the stress and strain of living with someone like that, yet I am out the other side. I wonder if I will ever stop wondering if I could have done something else to help her. The thing that really annoys me is I couldn't be truthful in the breakup as to why I was doing it. I just said it wasn't right.  I said that she needed to deal with the issues from her past, and she ignored it.  I know she seems to blame my family and friends for 'influencing' my decision - ironic in itself. I guess it is the lack of closure too, and it makes me angry that I am the one probably feeling guilty when the breakdown of the relationship was solely down to her and her erratic behaviour.  It also makes me angry that her family have done NOTHING to help her, and are blissfully ignoring her problems. The fact that she has raged in front of them, and they just accept it is not on. Then they have the cheek to try to blame my family and friends for the breakup!

Has anyone else had similar breakups with their BPD and family meltdowns?
Rose Tiger

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 08:15:36 AM »

Unless someone has been in a relationship with a person with BPD, they can't fully understand what it does to the partner.  This place and my therapist have been the only places I could discuss it fully.  The rest of the world gets a very short version of it didn't work out.  You are spot on that there was nothing you could do to help her, it is her choice and her responsibility.  You are only responsible for taking care of you.  They can certainly suck us into thinking that we can help, that we can save them.  We can't.

Can you cut the conversation short on anyone that doesn't get it and move the subject to something else?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest