Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 06:15:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Therapist Interview Worksheet?  (Read 343 times)
DesertChild

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: February 28, 2013, 09:52:50 PM »

I'm debating finding a therapist.

But I'm not sure what are good questions to ask. Is there by chance a work sheet I missed? 'cause the ones I found online aren't specific to finding someone who works with nons or seem outdated... .  or doesn't seem to understand that when someone lacks boundaries and has been conditioned often to deal with stress by agreeing. >.<;; I need a better list of questions.

I also find it a bit difficult since the last three didn't work out (various times of my life).

First one didn't listen to me (was "family therapy" with a love and relationship therapist whom my mom hired to confirm everything was OK. Yup, ignored me when I told him it was not OK.) Second, my mom made the therapist believe her (before I figured out what my mom's behavior was indicative of) and as a result was convinced I had learning disabilities (See the magic ), and the third one had boundary issues which really didn't help me since I'm still struggling with setting good boundaries. I did learn a lot from the third one, but at some point she was making my issues worse... .  but saying no was hard... .  I did eventually get out, though.

So obviously, I need to be better informed about what to ask and look for.
Blazing Star

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Been together 5 years

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 10:29:13 PM »

Hi DesertChild,

Great that you are looking for a therapist again! I relate to your struggle, before I found my current T who is awesome, I had a mediocre one, I would often leave feeling frustrated, wondering why she didn't delve deeper into things. So I ended it and found another.

I don't know about a therapist interview sheet, but for me I just explained my dissatisfaction with my last one, and said I was looking for going in deeper, and I wanted someone familiar with psychotherapy. Remember You are paying them, They are providing a service to you, it is totally okay to be upfront and honest. And most importantly I believe it is how you click with  them, the relationship.

So go for it, be as honest as you can, and feel it out.

Let us know how you go!

Love Blazing Star
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest