Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 29, 2024, 08:28:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Real Friends?  (Read 1219 times)
ScotisGone74

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: March 06, 2013, 01:24:53 AM »

Just wanted to hear what you all have to say about your BPD's friends.  :)uring my relationship with my ex BPD SO I remember thinking several times "She sure has some really crazy friends".  The ex BPD SO was 25, had one person she met from work and in 3 months was her 'best friend' of all, this new 'best friend' was 42 years old, going on about 15-she had had numerous affairs and bragged in front of me the only reason she stays with her husband was because of the money he makes.  Her other 'best friend' was a girl 28 years old, very attractive,  who had two kids by two different dads, who had also been married to the third husband twice now, and he is about 15 years older than her.  I remember thinking to myself that if she was anywhere close to normal that she wouldn't be choosing to have 'best friends' like that.  Anyway little did I know is that she was the craziest of them all.  My ex BPD SO did not have Any friends that had she had known for any length of time, ie like friends from college or her sorority.  I guess not having any long term real friends is part of BPD, I believe for the most part my ex BPD SO cannot be friends with someone they don't see regularly face to face and that many of the people that have been friends with her in the past at some point saw the Real person she tried desperately to hide.  I don't think that BPD women/men are capable of having normal long term friends , if they do manage to those people will be seriously suffering from their own major issues.  Thanks for the replies.  
HarmKrakow

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 01:36:47 AM »

I think they can, in their own way. Because for some reason they always act normal amongst 'some' people, and can do for years. And building 'real' friends can start from a later age.

Not everyone went to primary, secondary school, college, to a sorority and university with the same people for years. Some moved every 2/3 years without having the potential of building up anything significant until the last year of university for example. The unfortunate pain here is that if THAT person meets someone with BPD, and gets dumped. That person won't have any 'real' friends either...
WT

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 01:44:36 AM »

I just posted about my ex and her friends in another thread but I'll repost some of it here.

Excerpt
I guess not having any long term real friends is part of BPD, I believe for the most part my ex BPD SO cannot be friends with someone they don't see regularly face to face and that many of the people that have been friends with her in the past at some point saw the Real person she tried desperately to hide.

This is exactly how my ex was.  We met when she was still in college and she had a small group of college friends that she was close with.  After college, most of her interactions with them involved her calling them up when she wanted to complain about me.  Eventually they started asking me how I put up with her, including her best friend.  They stopped inviting her out as much, and when they did invite her out, she would complain to me about the choices that they made as far as where to eat, what to do, etc.  She felt very high and mighty compared to them.

Next we'll move onto her co-workers.  She would see them every day so to her, they were great friends.  They were also all older than her, typically by at least 10 years.  I'm not sure what they thought about her but they rarely hung out outside of work, and any time she changed employers, she would more or less lose contact with them.

Lastly, there are the people that she would meet in her social groups.  She joined a lot of social groups because she couldn't stand having any free time that wasn't being taken up by some activity.  She would meet a lot of different people at these social groups, but for the most part, she would barely communicate with them outside of the social group.  Even people that she thought she got along great with would eventually be forgotten and never heard from again except for when they saw each other at the social groups.  The one exception to this was the guy she "fell in love with" and immediately broke up with me for after one event.
mango_flower

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 01:45:58 AM »

Nope, none.  And no family she's in touch with either.

She has one friend she has known for 8 years or so (she calls her her best friend).  Reality is that it's a girl she used to work with, but I don't think she was ever that close to when she was friends with her in real life.  When she moved out of that town 6 years ago, they stayed in touch via facebook etc, and they email a lot, so talk about stuff/life/relationships. But she doesn't see her much in real time - she went to her wedding a while back though.

Her only other friend is a similar situation - ex-work colleague.  She meets up with her from time to time when one of them "need" each other, and she calls her her best friend (same as case 1, above) but it's different from the way you or I would have proper, best friend relationships with somebody.

I've often wondered why this is, seems to fit with BPD.

She fell out with the two best friends she had when she was with me.  One she is now back in touch with, just via facebook though.

All our mutual friends have taken my side (I never once asked them too, I didn't think there were sides!) but maybe that's because I'm still here in this town and she moved away.  They don't like the way she treated me.  She often complains that none of them have bothered to stay in touch with her though.

mango_flower

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 01:47:52 AM »

Oh - and do any of you find that every new person they meet is the "new best friend" for a while?

Until they no longer need them/don't see them day to day etc... .  total idealization at first about how great this new person is... .  but then suddenly they're forgotten!

WT

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 01:55:08 AM »

Oh - and do any of you find that every new person they meet is the "new best friend" for a while?

Until they no longer need them/don't see them day to day etc... .  total idealization at first about how great this new person is... .  but then suddenly they're forgotten!

Haha, yes, now that you mentioned it, this is totally how my ex was as well.  We would meet new girls that she might click with and then she would immediately say that they could be best friends.  She would almost never make any effort to stay in touch with them though.  She even had delusions about how close she was with some of my female friends, saying things like, "I hope she invites me to her bachelorette party!" even if they never see each other outside of when I'm there.
ScotisGone74

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 02:08:52 AM »

The funny part to me is that even though mine only had two nutty "Best Friends" that she would even complain about them all the time to me.  haha  no telling what she was saying to them about me.  Its really nice to be able to compare notes with other people about this.
WT

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 02:28:15 AM »

Comparing notes is definitely what makes this forum a great resource to me, especially since my ex was undiagnosed, so seeing how similar her behavior was to everyone else's pwBPD definitely helps.

Excerpt
no telling what she was saying to them about me.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  I was horrified at the beginning whenever my ex would complain about me to her friends because I didn't want anyone to think that I was this horrible person that she was describing.  Once they started asking me how I put up with her, I stopped caring what she said about me to them.
ScotisGone74

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 02:37:20 AM »

Thanks for all the replies.  Its is scary how much some of them are alike and the traits they share.  It wouldn't suprise me one bit to turn on the news one night and see mine on there in a breaking story of where someone was seriously injured by some guy she had on the hook.  My BPD SO made sure the last two guys she was intimately involved with for very long found out she was without someone else by actually meeting them at the door, without her saying anything about it to either of them.  Glad I'm out, its someone else's problem now., Hallelujah.
HarmKrakow

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 02:38:43 AM »

Haha, yes, now that you mentioned it, this is totally how my ex was as well.  We would meet new girls that she might click with and then she would immediately say that they could be best friends.  She would almost never make any effort to stay in touch with them though.  She even had delusions about how close she was with some of my female friends, saying things like, "I hope she invites me to her bachelorette party!" even if they never see each other outside of when I'm there.

The effort is something which does strike to me, she didn't put effort into friendships or relationships when we were together. However considered it a friend. She neglected them, I remember her being called by a girl who wanted to be friends with her because that girl didnt know a lot of people. My ex ignored 8 out of 10 times but the moments she picked up, she was soo sweet. I guess when i would call her now, i'd be that 'friend' she has on backup
Cumulus

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 05:45:23 AM »

No, he didn't, I was his only friend. I always felt really sad for him when it came to friends.  I could see at times how he tried to reach out and make connections to other men, and create friendships, but he was so socially awkward that he just didn't understand how. If he wanted to create a friendship, which was a rare thing, he just didn't get the give a little, wait, take a little concept. It was the full blown BPD attention that he would use. He had very few interests as well, so no where to meet up and relate with other guys. His BPD has really destroyed his ability to live a life with joy and meaningful relationships.

That was the man I knew. He had another life though, one I knew nothing about, so maybe it was different in the other life, I just don't think so.
trevjim

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 09:23:01 AM »

Mine could make friends easy, but would always fall out with them. She only really has 1 or 2 friends now, she has somehow alienated the others. I spoke to her ex best friend after we broke up, my ex told me a story as to why they had fallen out, the ex friend of hers, told me a differant one. Its obvious now my ex was just playing the victim
WT

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 02:32:21 PM »

Mine could make friends easy, but would always fall out with them. She only really has 1 or 2 friends now, she has somehow alienated the others. I spoke to her ex best friend after we broke up, my ex told me a story as to why they had fallen out, the ex friend of hers, told me a differant one. Its obvious now my ex was just playing the victim

I'm curious as to how deep these friendships were that your ex made.  Would she actually develop these new friendships on her own outside of happening to be at the same place at the same time as these new friends?  My ex would pretty much never do things like ask new "friends" to hang out or even call them up and relied pretty much on regular or chance encounters to develop their relationship, but she would always say that she felt lonely and had no friends, which actually made me feel sad for her, and yet she wouldn't do anything to create lasting friendships.
sunrising

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 02:43:10 PM »

My exwBPD had one "best friend" and a few other people she called "besties" which I saw mostly as acquaintances.   Her best friend had significant emotional problems too.  She was hospitalized twice in the 2+ years we were together, once for attempting suicide.  I always felt like my ex and this best friend were basically partners in misery together; often lamenting about how bad the world was to them.  Sad... .  
trevjim

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 02:51:46 PM »

I'm curious as to how deep these friendships were that your ex made.  Would she actually develop these new friendships on her own outside of happening to be at the same place at the same time as these new friends?  My ex would pretty much never do things like ask new "friends" to hang out or even call them up and relied pretty much on regular or chance encounters to develop their relationship, but she would always say that she felt lonely and had no friends, which actually made me feel sad for her, and yet she wouldn't do anything to create lasting friendships.

I don't think mine ever rang them to ask if they wanted to hang out or so something, it was always them ringing her up. She seemed to drift from friendship groups, her dance friends, then her friends from her school days, then her work colleagues etc. There was never much consistentcy in any area of her friends
bb12

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 08:53:15 PM »

Nope. My ex had zero friends. Morphed into my life completely

I thought it was because he was new to my city, but in 2 years honestly never took or made a phone call

Incredibly smart and quirky, so could get people's attention. But from what I have seen post-break-up, a pwBPD can only truly focus on the one they are sleeping with. Anything less than complete infatuation is boring. He was very social, but always with the end-goal of hooking up or finding new love. 'Friends' were a means to an end... .  to be used instead of enjoyed or valued. His FB page was full of IMs saying "where have you disappeared to?" so he seemed to neglect everyone.

And if the way he has treated me is a sample of what people get once their services are no longer required, I don't wonder why he is friendless

BB12
GustheDog

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 09:03:50 PM »

My ex had no real friends.  I agree with the poster who mentioned every new person becoming their "best" friend for a while. 

She would hang out with people, but when she'd come home she'd complain and talk badly about them.  Later, she'd blame me for "losing" several friends.  But she lost those "friends" because she was so wrapped up in me that she neglected and devalued them.  Anyway, it's my fault of course.

We haven't been together in almost 6 months and have been NC for almost 4.  I would sort of like to know if she's still as "close" to the new people she was idealizing as she was devaluing me.  I already know the answer, naturally, but I'm sure the details are good for a laugh.
ScotisGone74

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »

I geuss since I worked with mine, in addition to staying with her all the time, I got to see how she idealized friends and basically BPD'd the people she wanted as friends at work.  I remember one instance where this one lady we had worked with for maybe a month and a half, she takes off on a trip to florida with her.  Then my ex BPD calls and texts complaining about how she had to drive her car and pay for gas, and all the other stuff haha.  She could really mistake how serious people or friendships were, like a little kid emotionally, its just sad someone could be soo intellectually smart and soo inmature emotionally and interpersonally. 
feelingcrazy7832

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 10:39:20 PM »

Wow, scary how this is similar to my ex. He basically shut out any life long friends he had that were decent people. The people he did keep in his life were total douche bags and were there to buy pills from when he needed them and relapsed. Of course, the few "friends" and family he did have, he completely trashed or gossiped about. Honestly, I'm not sure there's one person he knows that I didn't hear him bash behind their back. Gross. I can't imagine talking about my good friends like that.
willy45
Formerly "johnnyorganic", "rjh45", "SurferDude"

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 10:46:22 PM »

Oh man.

My ex had TONS of friends. And she had TONS of 'best friends'. She would hang out with someone a few times and all of a sudden they were 'sisters'. She had so many relationships that were 'brother' or 'sister' relationships. I always thought that was so weird. I mean, OK. You can have some best friends that are like sisters or whatever. But, those relationships take time. Years. Decades. A best friend to me is someone who you are friends with for years and years. Who have been through some ___ with you. Who you have been through some ___ with them.

We talked about this once. She wanted to move cities to be with her. I was going to. I told her that I was worried because all my best friends were in my home town and that I was going to be sad to leave them and worried that it would take me a while to meet more. I told her I wasn't like her. She had tons and tons of friends whereas I tend to have 3-4 really close friends. She told me that she didn't like to have close friends because she was afraid that if she had close friends, they would find out who she was and would leave her. Yikes. Kind of heart breaking. Really. But also very enlightening. She was like a little kid who had been bullied in a school yard. Although, she also didn't realize that she herself was a bully. That her behavior DID drive people away. It drove me away. She was abusive with me. She was controlling. She was manipulative. She was hurtful. She was scary. And I guess deep down, she knew that. And so that is why she didn't have any real best friends. Just a ton of people that she would know.

Southern_Belle

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 01:35:34 AM »

Friends were a big issue between my BPDbf and I.

He didn't like any of my friends and he made is opinion known. He would make constant jabs at the fact I had friends and he really didn't. So many times I heard him say, "Ugh! You and all your friends!"

I've been in a few long term relationships and have dated many guys. None of them ever had an attitude or problem about my friends. Boy, did my exBPDbf! It was a constant sore spot in our relationship.

He had a few friends. Many came and went. I witnessed many people become buddy-buddy with him and then suddenly drop him like a hot potato. A guy he met back in 2011 who he has become great pals with, is the latest one to drop him this past Feb.

E (the exBPDbf) and I both belong to a hobby that has a large community throughout the U.S. We know many people in the South, Mid-west and Mid-Altantic area all involved in the hobby. I have met many former friends of his and they all say it got to be too much and they needed to distance themselves.
Themis

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 02:16:44 AM »

There are people with social anxiety, depression or other things... .  such as moving or life in general that have to start again with friends. I don't think we should be too judgmental here.

I personally have 1 best friend that I have been friends with for eight years. Another that's a two or three year friendship.

There are some old friends from school but they all moved really far away. People move on and change jobs, cities... .  things happen.

The rest of my friends aren't that close. I'm looking to find more close local friends. That takes at least a few months to build up. I know a lot of people but most of them live at least 3hrs away. I see them occasionally.

I think it's easy to get into the trap of thinking every human flaw, lack etc is "BPD" especially when angry with someone with BPD.

But i think this just adds to the stigma they have, making it harder to get them into therapy.
GustheDog

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 02:36:23 AM »

There are people with social anxiety, depression or other things... .  such as moving or life in general that have to start again with friends. I don't think we should be too judgmental here.

I personally have 1 best friend that I have been friends with for eight years. Another that's a two or three year friendship.

There are some old friends from school but they all moved really far away. People move on and change jobs, cities... .  things happen.

The rest of my friends aren't that close. I'm looking to find more close local friends. That takes at least a few months to build up. I know a lot of people but most of them live at least 3hrs away. I see them occasionally.

I think it's easy to get into the trap of thinking every human flaw, lack etc is "BPD" especially when angry with someone with BPD.

But i think this just adds to the stigma they have, making it harder to get them into therapy.

Sure, except that it's a disorder manifest in relationships (of all types), core features of which are the objectification of others, lack of empathy, lack of identity, black and white thinking, and extreme selfishness.

This is going to interfere with all human interactions other than the most transient and superficial.
ScotisGone74

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 03:08:29 AM »

No one is being judgemental here, we are describing our relationships with past BPD's and how they interacted with others.  If this causes you some undo distress then maybe this thread would not be the best way for you to spend your time. 
WT

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 03:20:46 AM »

I definitely wouldn't judge anyone who has a hard time making friends, but I think that most of our exes were delusional as far as what constituted an actual friendship.  I think that someone with social anxiety isn't going to meet someone once and then instantly think that they're now best friends, which is what a lot of our exes did.
trevjim

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 08:40:21 AM »

I definitely wouldn't judge anyone who has a hard time making friends, but I think that most of our exes were delusional as far as what constituted an actual friendship.  I think that someone with social anxiety isn't going to meet someone once and then instantly think that they're now best friends, which is what a lot of our exes did.

I think the reason there is a talking point here, is because it seems alot of peoples ex's here actually found it quite easy to make friends, so it was suprising when they didnt have alot, or have friends for long, or as some have said, had a new 'best' friend every so often.
Vatz

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 08:49:51 AM »

Mine had some "normal" same-sex friends. But they wouldn't hang out often because the friends were busy. So to compensate my BPDSO had opposite-sex friends. Friends that wanted to be more than "just friends" and that's pretty much it. She doesn't want to put in the hard work at maintaining a normal friendship with someone of the same sex. It's much easier to have friends that "like" you because you don't have to really do anything to keep them around. All of her guy friends are such creeps. Her current emotional affair has a sense of entitlement, which is strange because he is really not too pleasant to look at.
ScotisGone74

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 12:58:26 PM »

Interesting you mention that Vatz.  Mine could never have enough male 'friends'.  She was always much more interested in having male 'friends' rather than real friends of the same sex as well.  The bad part is that she was a nurse, so there was never a lack of other women her same age that she could interact with, but besides the 'friends' she had per my previous post that never really happened. 
WT

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 06:22:21 PM »

I think the reason there is a talking point here, is because it seems alot of peoples ex's here actually found it quite easy to make friends, so it was suprising when they didnt have alot, or have friends for long, or as some have said, had a new 'best' friend every so often.

Yeah, my ex had very little problem talking to people when she wanted to and winning them over (at least initially) with her personality.  Anyone that she formed a connection with would become a new "best friend" but she wouldn't do anything to further the relationship unless she saw them on a regular basis, like at school or work.
SarahinMA

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 08:57:09 PM »

My ex's close friends are all narcissists.    I think it has to do with his dad (who was a complete narcissist, married 4 times, etc. and abandoned his family).  He completely caters to them and mirrors them so that they take him under their wing.  He's such a weak person, he lets these guys do all the dirty work for him.  His best friend went around to many of our mutual friends telling them how horrible i was as a girlfriend and it was a good thing he dumped me (this was a complete shock to me, because I thought he was a good friend).  They helped him get his job, help him ask girls out, they all live together, etc. 

All of his friendships are completely unhealthy and codependent.  I'm sure they have their fun at my expense - especially because when we dated, they would all talk crap about other people.  Why did I ever think that I would be any different? 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest