Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
July 03, 2024, 01:52:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie Needs Advice  (Read 441 times)
GBC

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: March 24, 2013, 11:45:39 AM »

Being a Newbie, and having no support network, I have to resist the temptation to post every frustration and try to solve everything at once. There is one constant scenario that I would appreciate any feedback on for those of you who may have experienced similar circumstances.

My SO (Diagnosed) and I have a 3 and 5 yr old. When I come home from work, She demands my full attention before I can give the children any attention. Communication to her is being talked at, not with. I am not able to finish a sentence. Usually it is something she has discussed to death or is demanding instant solution to a complex problem. These are not quick "conversations". She just keeps speaking for some time while the children just want Daddy's attention, so they keep saying "excuse me" or act up to get the attention. This results in her getting upset at them and demanding of me to take them to their room as punishment for interrupting. She is yelling, the children are upset, everything melts down. I try to get her to understand that if I may just give them a few minutes of my attention, they are happy. She will not hear of it. Does anyone have experience on how I may handle this scenario? Am I "catering" to the kids by my logic? Is it rational to think a 3 and 5 year old might understand that mommy and daddy need to talk for over an hour or so before they get to talk about their day?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 01:03:44 PM »

GBC,

Being a Newbie, and having no support network, I have to resist the temptation to post every frustration and try to solve everything at once. There is one constant scenario that I would appreciate any feedback on for those of you who may have experienced similar circumstances.

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) wise move. It is ok to vent some frustration but of course when focusing your post on a more narrow set of problems chances are better to get a conversation going. And these deeper conversations tend to be more fruitful imho...

My SO (Diagnosed) and I have a 3 and 5 yr old. When I come home from work, She demands my full attention before I can give the children any attention. Communication to her is being talked at, not with. I am not able to finish a sentence. Usually it is something she has discussed to death or is demanding instant solution to a complex problem. These are not quick "conversations". She just keeps speaking for some time while the children just want Daddy's attention, so they keep saying "excuse me" or act up to get the attention. This results in her getting upset at them and demanding of me to take them to their room as punishment for interrupting. She is yelling, the children are upset, everything melts down. I try to get her to understand that if I may just give them a few minutes of my attention, they are happy. She will not hear of it. Does anyone have experience on how I may handle this scenario? Am I "catering" to the kids by my logic? Is it rational to think a 3 and 5 year old might understand that mommy and daddy need to talk for over an hour or so before they get to talk about their day?

Clearly your wife is lonely during the day and needs an attention fix. From what you wrote is seems more a longish drip infusion than a quick shot. And while she is crying for attention the children crying for attention too - and learning every day that their needs don't count... .

Having to deal with two infinite attention needs (wife and children) there need to be compromises. Neither your children nor your wife will get what they want. Both need you and neither party is able to negotiate. Currently the bigger bully wins all. As neither party is willing or able to compromise it is your responsibility to split your attention, budget it, giving limited time to both sides. Limits that YOU control.

Long talk, arriving at boundaries. Boundaries are limits on yourself, which you control. In this case you believe time set apart for the kids shortly after arrival is required so there are limits on time taken up by your wife. She won't like that and she won't agree to it. Negotiation will be futile. Implementation of boundaries primarily hinges on your behavior. Changing it won't be welcome but that is normal and often results in an extinction burst. But once you through it she may well appreciate the predictability of the new greeting ritual.

Changing your behavior can be done just like that, after all you control all about yourself! Still it is better to lessen the surprise and tell what you do - tell but do NOT JUSTIFY IT. Communicating facts is best done with SET.

Support: Let me help you,

Empathy: day has been long and kids have been hard on you. You still have not told me all.

Truth: I'm going now to deal with their needs for 1 hour (be specific and stick to it). We continue later.

Last when arriving it will be best to take the edge somehow off her. She needs to talk then talk with her for some short time. She mostly needs listening and understanding NOT problem solving. That does not mean that there won't be problems left, right and center as problems are wonderful tools to express emotions or get attention - some are real but mostly they are just her stage props. Won't help to tell her though. Read up on validation (and equally if not more important about avoiding invalidation) to learn how to most effectively interact with her in the time that you allocated to her.

To sumarize:

Budget time - see boundaries

Communicate clearly - see SET

Use time with her effectively - see validation

Check out the LESSONS on the staying board for a selected list on introduction workshops.

It is good that your wife is diagnosed. Is she in any form of treatment?

Welcome,

a0

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Auspicious
Retired Staff

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 01:21:45 PM »

an0ught has some good advice.

If possible, be empathetic but also do what is right.

"This sounds really important. I want to give it the time and attention that it deserves. After the kids get to spend some time with me, it will be much easier for us to talk about this."

The you DO it. You are not asking permission.

Have you read the Lessons?
GBC

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »

It is very good advice. thank you. To answer: She has decided that the diagnosis is wrong. She stopped taking medicine when she became pregnant and will not go back. She said it will make her put on weight. I said I would love her regardless and if it provides some quality of life rather than the all day every day doom and destruction and raging, then for the sake of the children alone PLEASE try the medicine again.

I will try to stick to this advice. I had tried to implement it before, but the instant rage ect... . I worried was just as bad, if not worse for the children. If I continue to imploy this method, how long do you think the adverse reactions will last before she adapts to the new way?
Auspicious
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 01:45:30 PM »

It is very good advice. thank you. To answer: She has decided that the diagnosis is wrong. She stopped taking medicine when she became pregnant and will not go back. She said it will make her put on weight. I said I would love her regardless and if it provides some quality of life rather than the all day every day doom and destruction and raging, then for the sake of the children alone PLEASE try the medicine again.

I will try to stick to this advice. I had tried to implement it before, but the instant rage ect... . I worried was just as bad, if not worse for the children. If I continue to imploy this method, how long do you think the adverse reactions will last before she adapts to the new way?

Hard to say. You might even have to take the children elsewhere for an hour or so, if she rages.

GBC

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 02:12:48 PM »

OK. Has anyone tried writing their point down? When I even try to have the boundry conversation, I am not allowed to complete a sentence much less a whole train of thought. I've toyed with the idea of writing down my wish to split attention to all parties.
Rockylove

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 05:10:08 PM »

All I can say is have you ever read a letter, note, email from someone who is raging?  It makes no sense what so ever!  I've tried writing because I'm far better at it than I am at speaking and the responses I got were so disjointed and outlandish that I couldn't even figure out what in the world the concept was!  You may get your point across or not.  There's just no telling if they will understand it or turn everything you say into a jumbled mess and turn it all inside out.  I have taken to writing the letters (emails) and not sending them because it wouldn't serve any purpose any way, but it makes me feel better to get it all out.
Auspicious
Retired Staff

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 08:21:34 AM »

OK. Has anyone tried writing their point down? When I even try to have the boundry conversation, I am not allowed to complete a sentence much less a whole train of thought. I've toyed with the idea of writing down my wish to split attention to all parties.

A boundary is a "rule" for you, not for her.

E.g. "I will not remain in a room with someone who is yelling at me."

You don't need to communicate your boundaries ... . that is a choice and is up to you. But you need to follow them!

Allotrion

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 09:26:31 AM »

GBC, thank you for posting this question.  I can totally relate to what you are going through.  I am a newbie as well and have started taking baby steps to improve my relationship with uBPDw.  I would welcome an update on your situation.

Setting strong boundaries is certainly not easy for me.  It's easier to try to please them rather than invoke the wrath.  But I guess that's why I'm here.  To help me through this.

I wish you well.

Allotrion
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest