Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
July 03, 2024, 02:02:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Traveling without him  (Read 407 times)
sadeyes

« on: March 28, 2013, 09:35:52 AM »

I am travelling without him internationally for about 5 days. He is doing ok so far, but as the trip get closer, I fear it will get worse. Last night he was "normal" but shared some concerns regarding the trip.

1. He is scared something will happen to me. (kidnapped, killed disappear etc). There is no particular danger of this in the country I am going to. (not worse than any major us city)

2 He is afraid he will need me while I am gone

3. He is afraid I am going with someone else besides who I say. (my mom).

I told him I have been to this country many times before, and I always felt safe there. I told him I would call him daily, and he can email me.

Any suggestions regarding helping him without "loosing ground". I thought about emailing him some pics after a day or two that just happen to have mom in it. This is gonna be a BIG deal for him. And the truth is, if I thought that my spouse would be injured (or they were going with someone else) I would be upset too. No matter how unrealistic those things are.

I
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

briefcase
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married 18 years, together 20 years, still living together

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 03:16:38 PM »

I told him I have been to this country many times before, and I always felt safe there. I told him I would call him daily, and he can email me.

This is just another way of telling him not to worry, which is well-intended but invalidating.   

And the truth is, if I thought that my spouse would be injured (or they were going with someone else) I would be upset too. No matter how unrealistic those things are.

That's validating!   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  He's worried and anxious - let him know you hear him!  Don't try to reassure him that you'll be fine.  Something more along the lines of "You sound worried for me hon, but I'll be fine I know you want to look out for me."  That's about all you can do.  Don't make a big deal about it.  Be business like about this . . . and then go! 

sadeyes

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 09:42:30 AM »

We have been doing ok. He is doing a good job of telling me how he is feeling ie I am gonna miss you, and I have been trying to validate and tell him I am going to miss him too.

Things are a bit dicey this morning, as I wasn't being careful and mentioned a sore subject. But I got myself under control quickly, and things seemed to simmer down.

Maybe more anxiety as I leave tomorrow. I am getting excited. It is a period of low contact for me to try to wrap my mind around some things without having to tell him what I am doing.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest