Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 04:26:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 504 plan/IEP -- how to navigate the school system  (Read 2495 times)
mamachelle

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2013, 04:49:11 PM »

Sun Dogs,

SO good to hear all the progress and you looking to help others here. I am sure many have already read and learned from this thread. Keep us posted and keep posting.

My friends also had resolution for their D last week and were granted an IEP and local therapeutic high school placement.

It's important to not be complacent which each victory and to keep pushing.

Great Work!     Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

mamachelle
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Googie

Relationship status: engaged for 9 years with no plans of tying the knot any time soon

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2013, 08:14:07 PM »

www.amazon.com/Complete-IEP-Guide-Advocate-Special/dp/1413313132

The above link is for a book that you must have if you are navigating the special education system.  I have had both good and bad (really bad) experiences when I approached the school about having my daughter evaluated for an IEP.  A 504 allows for some accommodations however, it does not hold the same weight that an IEP does.  OHI's are very similar to 504's but again allow for limited accommodations and holds no weight. 

The reason that I pursued an IEP is because if for any reason my daughter should become unstable during the school day and acts out to the point of getting suspended/expelled, then the IEP has a built in protective mandatory evaluation meeting that can override any disciplinary recommendation.  If the behavior that caused a disciplinary referral stems from the diagnosis and the admin at the meeting vote and it passes as the majority then she returns to school the next day.

Try to get a psycho-educational assessment on your own.  If you come prepared with the required documentation then you can cut out a lot of red tape and expedite the finalization. 

let me know if you need any help

Googie
Cici

Relationship status: process of divorce still living in same house divorce started 6 months ago

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 04:17:32 AM »

We are trying to convince our daughter's high school counselor that she needs accommodations, that she has a disability because of her recent diagnoses of depression, anxiety, and emergent BPD traits.  Her counselor does not know what BPD is and yet must make the call and so far is basing his decision on cognitive ability (past grades have been good, now failing) and physical disability only (she has none).  Today I emailed him the line for the BPD family web site and asked for an appointment this week to see him.  I plan to print out some basic info about BPD and highlight key points and bring that to him.  How else can I convince him that her need is real?  What kinds of accommodations should we ask for?  Any other advice on this topic is much appreciated.  Thank you!

I read through your string and I'm asking the same question about accommodations.  I found this manual online written for school admins.  It speaks to kids with bipolar disorder and depression or mood lability.  While many of the suggested accomodations may not apply there are many that do.  Specifically having the a school physiologist or social worker not guidance counselor, meet with your child at least once a week and haing someone as the gatekeeper/communicator on a daily or weekly basis between school and teachers. I am also asking for her to be able to leave the room quietly and without calling attn to herself to go to a trusted adult if she is having anxieties.   I think you will find it helpful.  I know I did.  Even just how to word and speak to the mood lability and the effects/impacts her education.  It's hard to know what you can ask for in an iep. 

www.schoolbehavior.com/Files/tips_mood.pdf

Good luck,

Cici

If you come up with other resources or suggested accomodations in school please post here.  I'm also asking her t what accomodations to ask for in school. 
Sun Dogs

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2013, 12:09:26 PM »

That is an excellent link!  I read the entire document and gleaned many specific ideas we had not yet thought of, heard, or discussed.  Thank you for sharing it!  Smiling (click to insert in post)

The book link (two posts above) ... . I borrowed it from the library and found it to be educational and yet too aggressive for our needs.  Its tone and approach seemed rather adversarial to me and so far (other than counselor) our district has been very professional and cooperative.  In fact I think an aggressive approach would have backfired and would have made it very hard to work with them. (applying the Golden Rule here)

Here is an update.  We had our big meeting on Wed. to review the evaluation results.  It was again educational and opened my eyes   as to just how much her interactions with peers and teachers has deteriorated.  For many years everything was directed to us her parents at home and of course we thought maybe it's just us.  No longer the case as she is acting out significantly at school as well now.  The results of the testing also triangulated well with other testing that was done in the hospital, strengthening validity. 

The school psychologist did deem that she is eligible for special education services but surprisingly to me, not under the emotional disturbance category and that I think in my opinion is on a technicality.  For EBD there must be consist behavior across three settings in the community, one of which is home and the other two of which can count as two different classroom settings at school.  In those to classrooms, her behavior was not consistent.  I would think this is rather BPD of her and will bring that up and ask how they differentiate.

In the meantime, she does qualify for special ed under OHD or Other Health Disabilities.  Which if all else fail for your own kid, OHD or sometimes called OHI is a catch-all other category where they should easily fit.

In the meeting we discussed a number of options which I list next:

structured study skill class for kids with an IEP

shorter school day

attend school at different location operated by the school district for kids who would other wise drop out

attend at local private school at our expense ($400 per month), smaller class sizes, learn at your own pace kind of thing

eventually testing for GED

1-on-1 para

11th/12th grade at arts academy boarding school in metro area 3 hours away at our expense if they accept kids on IEP

split schedule, partly in the school for electives and partly on-line in school library or at home or at her dad's work place

behavior plan for teachers to follow

The school pushed us for a response as to if we want an IEP written up since the school year is ending.  We just took one or two days to talk and think and research and then replied with a yes.  I am now pasting in the letter we wrote and sent to them which next I need to write a follow-up documenting further suggestions from the pdf link I just accessed in the previous post.  Their response to our message was well-received.

Hi All --

We would like the district to go ahead and prepare an IEP for our daughter.  As her parents, we believe the following items would be appropriate to include for fall 2013 at school based upon our meeting discussion and the evaluation results we reviewed:

1. study skills class (for credit)

2. a para to assist her with transitioning from the bus transfer station, from class to class to maintain regular attendance; to assist with school work, maintain focus, record assignments, plan and organize materials, turn-in assignments, and transition her back to the bus.  Also for safety purposes because she is prone to self-harm and we are not sure if she does that at school or not.  (She says she knows several of the paras and she definitely has opinions about them, so it would probably help her buy-in if she had some input on who her para would be.)

3. The para should be experienced/trained/skilled in working with a student with the complex and hefty medical diagnoses that she has acquired.

4. The option of a "cool-down" room when she is having trouble controlling her emotional responses (attended by para or counselor or other appropriate staff).  Her teachers should have the option of asking her to excuse herself (with para) when she becomes disruptive in the classroom.

5. A quiet place for study, test-taking, and work completion.

6. A behavior plan for her teachers -- the school psychologist described this very well but I didn't get further detail in my notes.   

7. Flexibility in adjusting her requirements for graduation (is this the right verbiage?)  We spoke of some examples of this in the meeting yesterday.  As suggested, we also agree that loading her up with art/music classes would likely be motivating for her.

8. The para has possession of her iPod/phone during class times.  Or some other solution to this distraction assuming she'd be willing to cooperate with it (leave it in office?)

What we would like to see as a result of the IEP is:

1.  Increase in her attendance in class.

2.  Decrease in class tardies.

3.  Increase in her returning to class if she leaves/leaving on-time at the end of class.

4. Increase in her positive participation in class individually, peer-to-peer, and in group assignments, being on-task, and bringing materials needed to class.

5.  Increase in completion of work.

6.  Increased frequency in turning in work

7.  Increased frequency in turning work in on-time.

8.  Improved grades on her report card to at least passing in all of her classes, ideally even better (baby steps).

9.  Increased motivation to learn, satisfaction with school, and acquisition of skills as demonstrated by increased proficiency in doing all of these things more and more independently.

10.  Decrease in the number of times she is asked to leave the classroom by teachers and use cool-down room.

This evening, we reviewed with our daughter the different options developed in our meeting yesterday.  Her initial response was:

1. She could take or leave the study skills class.

2. She'd like a shorter school day.

3. She'd like to go to the alternative school in the district.

4. She does not want to attend private school or on-line school.

5. She would like a one-on-one para at school.

6. She does not want a split schedule.

7. Longer-term (11th grade), she would like to go to the arts school.

The longer she talked and thought about it, the further she narrowed her options.  First down to just three:  shorter day, alternative school, and para.  Then ultimately just to one:  alternative school.  As you know, most or all of us do not believe that to be a viable option for her due to her demonstrated history of academic success prior to this semester and other concerns.  So we as her parents took her middle of the road level options with the recommendations in the report and added some more detail to come up with the first list at the start of this message.

We see that list as a template for fall and that it would need to be subject to change depending upon how things go for her.  Second semester might look very different for better or for worse.

I think this is all for now.  We look forward to your response and are glad to discuss that message further and we truly appreciate all you are doing to try and help make her high school education as workable as possible.

Sincerely, Me and her Dad

Next, I am going to start a new thread with a separate question on using county case management.  But I will be back on this thread to share the next email we send to our team including the added accommodations and questions that we now have after reading that pdf.

Thank You All for your Continued Interest and Support!   
mamachelle

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2013, 12:09:41 PM »

I think you will find it helpful.  I know I did.  Even just how to word and speak to the mood lability and the effects/impacts her education.  It's hard to know what you can ask for in an iep. 

www.schoolbehavior.com/Files/tips_mood.pdf

Good luck,

Cici

If you come up with other resources or suggested accomodations in school please post here.  I'm also asking her t what accomodations to ask for in school. 

This link is excellent. I am seeking a 504 plan for my SS10 and this will help me so much. He is dx now with PDD-NOS but  he has also been called "emerging bipolar" and "emerging psychotic" his major issues in school are more due to his emotional lability, difficulty concentrating, organization and also social. Thank you!

mamachelle
mamachelle

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2013, 12:20:39 PM »

For EBD there must be consist behavior across three settings in the community, one of which is home and the other two of which can count as two different classroom settings at school.  In those to classrooms, her behavior was not consistent.  I would think this is rather BPD of her and will bring that up and ask how they differentiate.

In the meantime, she does qualify for special ed under OHD or Other Health Disabilities.  Which if all else fail for your own kid, OHD or sometimes called OHI is a catch-all other category where they should easily fit.

In the meeting we discussed a number of options which I list next:

structured study skill class for kids with an IEP

shorter school day

attend school at different location operated by the school district for kids who would other wise drop out

attend at local private school at our expense ($400 per month), smaller class sizes, learn at your own pace kind of thing

eventually testing for GED

1-on-1 para

11th/12th grade at arts academy boarding school in metro area 3 hours away at our expense if they accept kids on IEP

split schedule, partly in the school for electives and partly on-line in school library or at home or at her dad's work place

behavior plan for teachers to follow

The school pushed us for a response as to if we want an IEP written up since the school year is ending.  We just took one or two days to talk and think and research and then replied with a yes. 

Thank You All for your Continued Interest and Support!   

Sun Dogs,

Please be careful with the school.

Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) asking if you want an IEP when an IEP is clearly needed. It would mean months lost if they re-evaluate her next school year.

Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) she should probably be getting some support for ESY (extended school year) over the summer to keep her in a structured setting -- even summer school or something to keep her from losing gains.

Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) not giving her EBD but OHI for something clearly Emotional.

I would push for the emotional as she does display this in multiple classrooms. Maybe she behaves in art class but not in English and Math.

Glad you are getting what you want but the OHI may complicate things if you need the RTC later. I am confused as to their logic and am worried. You are there so you may have a better sense-- but I would really question it since that is her main issue.

mamachelle
Sun Dogs

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2013, 10:15:43 PM »

Just an idea but it would be great to have an UNDO button.    

So here I go again.

Mamachelle, thank you for all of your red flags and concern.  I do not understand the 1st red flag, can you please clarify?

We did consider summer school but ours is too rigorous for our unmotivated, unorganized teen, so it will have to wait for now.  She did take driver's ed this summer and true to form she missed one day (couldn't get out of bed, had to make it up), did homework eventually but didn't turn it in before class ended, then lost it, hubby found it in her room, and now says she doesn't have to turn it in.    

I agree with you that the EBD makes more sense and it is just a lousy technicality and I told them that in nicer words and they would not bend.  But when I think of how far we came with this process since the start of 2nd semester, I'll take what I can get because we are in a better place now with an IEP in place for all even if it is with the OHD.  This fall it will either help at least some or she will s how her true colors and we'll have to re-group.  We do get to finalize things in late August before school starts, so I will bring it up again.

What is RTC that you spoke of?

I am really glad we have a break with summer because I have no real interest in helping her after what happened this week with her at home (assaulted me, took off, picked up by county deputies, ticketed, charged, spent night in juvie an hour away, hearing, sentencing, and now fulfilling the sentence).   :'(   Hopefully by fall my heart and mind will both be back in it.  She is spending the next month with relatives in other states and at church camp and I am getting a really big break with that and hopefully they can handle her behaviors.  Sorry to be a whiner, but BPD sucks big time.  I am living with a crazy person!

twojaybirds

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2013, 10:33:52 PM »

Red Flag asking if you want an IEP when an IEP is clearly needed. It would mean months lost if they re-evaluate her next school year.  I don't know what this means except re-evals happen every three years while IEP's are written every calendar year unless a member wants to meet more often because of a change

Red Flag she should probably be getting some support for ESY (extended school year) over the summer to keep her in a structured setting -- even summer school or something to keep her from losing gains. ESY can be tough to get.  Teachers have to keep data and show that the recoup time  is greater than the vacation.  That means if your dd loses ground over a week's vacation you have to show it takes more than a week to return her to where she was before vacation.  I advocate for her doing something other than academics during the summer.

Red Flag not giving her EBD but OHI for something clearly Emotional.
Sometimes those labels are just what different districts use.  I work in one of the larger districts in the country and we done have OHI.  The label is a way to define behaviors and the subsequent services that are needed.  I would not sweat this one at all.

Congrats on all the progress you have made Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
mamachelle

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2013, 11:02:35 AM »

Hi Sun Dogs,

We all bring different experiences to the table with IEPs.

Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) asking if you want an IEP when an IEP is clearly needed. It would mean months lost if they re-evaluate her next school year.

I mean that if you walked away with no IEP your DD would start next school year with nothing in place that was enforcable. Then the school district would start all over with the meetings and re-evaluate which could take months. Maybe they could use the prior evals, maybe not, but it's harder to get an IEP than to end an IEP and it's free... . It's like going through all the paperwork and approvals to get a wonderful house  then deciding you want to wait a few more months for summer break and the bank has to re-evaluate and you lose the house. I hope that makes sense.

Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) she should probably be getting some support for ESY (extended school year) over the summer to keep her in a structured setting -- even summer school or something to keep her from losing gains.

It sounds like your DD has driver ed and camp and summer plans and has now created some of her own legal drama to give herself structure. ESY was important for my SS15 because he needs structure and his program was more fun, 4 hours a day for a few weeks. This year he opted for a 3 week summer class in gen ed. Going to his Mom's for a month. Then boyscout camp. Structure is important for these kids and it sounds like you are doing that.

Yes ESY may not be appropriate but if she does need therapeutic school- they do go  through the summer and this may fall under ESY. I do not have my children in therapeutic school at the moment- but my friends who do-- they have summer programs that run like camp with some academics in some cases. Therapeutic schools are expensive so you want the schools to pay for this if needed down the road.

Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) not giving her EBD but OHI for something clearly Emotional.

ok, here my experience and warning come from having my SS15 autism being placed under OHI when it was always a more primary issue. This caused the team to try to place him in the wrong setting and also discount it. It all worked out in the end. But now Autism and EBD are primary issues and this has given him the proper setting. I would take your DD IEP to a consult with an Education lawyer or IEP consultant and let them tell you if it is really ok for your district. It sounds like she is getting all she needs so that is very good.

RTC is residential treatment. Therapuetic placement is expensive, you want the school to pay for the educational part of it. I honestly don't know how the different check boxes would affect this.

so-- yes BRAVO! BRAVO! you have done well! Enjoy your break and breathe.

mamachelle
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest