Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 10:22:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: she found my copy of walking on eggshells...  (Read 391 times)
4n0n

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« on: June 26, 2013, 10:44:41 AM »

and now she thinks i'm leaving her.

She's thinks that i'm 'taking my life back'.

i've explained that i'm trying to be a better person for her, that i love her and i'm not going anywhere. we talked about how i should get help, and reading the books are part of it.

she is undiagnosed, so the fact that people (her friends who have dealt with pwBPD, her 'therapist' who is only a student and can't legally diagnose anything, and myself) think she has BPD traits is very scary to her.

she told me she wants to stop feeling this way. she feels guilty every day, and that i'm the one who is doing that to her.

i feel like i'm screwing up big-time.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Cloudy Days

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 11:09:39 AM »

Have you tried to Validate how she feels about it. If she started reading a book to learn how to deal with your behaviors do you think it might hurt a little? The book is about taking your life back, she just doesn't understand that it's more about getting back the life that you wanted for yourself with her. It's very important to Validate how she feels, don't tell her she is wrong for feeling like she does. She does feel that way and you can't change it, but you can tell her it's understandable that she could feel that way. 

I actually bought the books and my husband knows about them. He wasn't real thrilled that I bought them to learn how to deal with him, which is understandable, that wouldn't feel very good.

It's not the future you are afraid of, it's repeating the past that makes you anxious.
4n0n

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 11:28:24 AM »

i've said just that, "if i found out you were reading a book to learn how to deal with me, i would feel like hit. it would hurt a lot"

and then i told her that i love her and that i am reading them because i want to be with her. that my learning and reading is so that i can learn how to better communicate with her, so that i can spend the rest of my life with her.

she is telling me that she feels like she is wasting my time, which makes her feel guilty, which makes her feel like killing herself.
4n0n

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 11:29:37 AM »

i didn't know we couldn't say the s word here... .
qwaszx

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 12:14:58 PM »

she is telling me that she feels like she is wasting my time, which makes her feel guilty, which makes her feel like killing herself.

jesus thats excatly the same thing my friend has said to me time and time again. i drives me batty! i never know what to do with that! im not trying to hurt her by helping myself so that, we can help our selves... . grr. and then little thing pop into my head like, "maybe i am wasting my time" but i dont honestly believe that... .
Cloudy Days

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 12:16:57 PM »

Well, my point was that you can't make her feel any differently about it, you can only tell her that it's ok to feel that way and reassure her that you want to be with her. You did good, it sort of keeps things at a less intense level. You can ask her why questions, why does she feel like she is wasting your time, then validate that feeling. Don't validate the killing herself, but obviously you can't tell her not to feel that way, she just does. I know it doesn't really stop the fight or her crappy feeling but it keeps things calmer and lets her know you are listening to her, which is what they usually want. They just want to be heard and understood a lot of the time.

It's not the future you are afraid of, it's repeating the past that makes you anxious.
jollygreen

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 12:32:33 PM »

You're not screwing up, you're bettering your self. Her seeing that book was a harsh reality to her seeing how you really feel inside about the way she treats you because she either never allowed you to express those feelings to her in a normal way or you were afraid of her reaction if that would happen. What you are getting now is the exact reaction had you of expressed your feelings face to face. She feels bad, knows what shes doing to you, wants to be seen as perfect, and projects on to you in order to maintain that perfection. "It's your fault for not telling me sooner," or "you enabled me to treat you this way." She cannot and will not accept the other side of the coin that you want to improve who you are and how you handle her crap to better both of ya'lls relationship.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest