Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 11:05:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what is going on when they are with new person  (Read 401 times)
vangirl60

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: July 06, 2013, 08:44:14 AM »

It’s been 18 months since uexBPDbf and I broke up and he moved out of town a year ago.  We were together 3 years off and on. I saw him once since he moved and he continued to contact me periodically until about 3 months ago.

3 months ago he let it be known that he had met an amazing woman and I heard from a third party that he has moved in with her and her 3 children. Of course, I’m not surprised that he would move in as quickly as possible. I’d mostly been painted black and ironically he claimed he had to move away to get away from me Laugh out loud (click to insert in post).

Anyway, about a week ago I receive a text and although I don’t want to read too much into it, I am wondering about it. I still have a lot of resentment about the time, effort and energy I gave to the r/ship and want it cost me financially, family and career-wise.  In my work to detach (and I’ve done it all- travelled,  dates, renovations, work, new friends) I find it helpful to analyze the rumination and then discard the rumination. So after 3 months of meeting and now living with someone he says “ I hope you’re good. I think about us a lot. You’re a good person. Have a nice day” Why would he do that? Why? Eventually, I did respond with I’m ok. How are you?  Within a minute (which was not typical before Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)) he responded saying things are really good. I don’t know….I just don’t think normal people who break up and move on to live with someone else would behave like that- maybe. I’m always second  guessing or in doubt about this behavior and wondering if perhaps I’m not seeing it clearly. Maybe he is just simply letting me know he’s fine or is he trying to triangulate or  show that he is okay now…there’s nothing wrong with him? What exactly is going on when they're with a new person? I’m just not sure and I know it doesn’t matter but once I

figure things out, it makes it easier to discard the ruminations!

It has taken me a long time to detach and I have done a thousand and one things to try and move on. It doesn’t work for me just to disregard these things. I need to understand something first before I can let it go. I’d appreciate some viewpoints from those of you with experience!

Katsky

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 09:30:50 AM »

"What exactly is going on when they're with a new person? "

He has a new resource, which may or may not be going well, depending on whether he's reached the blaming/devaluation phase. And you have now been placed in the cupboard for safe keeping. There will not be "closure"; BPD, by definition, is an attachment disorder. The end of your r/s, in his eyes, was you, not him. But he might consider "forgiving" you (!).

My advice would be to treat further contact from a BPDex for what it always was, and what you experienced over 3 years. This is a very *toxic*, emotionally dysregulated person, with a serious mental illness, who wishes to keep their "options" open, in relation to

- using you,

- manipulating you

- hurting you

in future.

You may love them still, and it's very, very hard to detach. But remember the toxicity, manipulation, abuse and lack of empathy/remorse.

Katsky
seeking balance
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 10:58:50 AM »

He thought about you, he texted you, that simple.  Some people think with time, it is ok. 

Maybe he simply needed to know you still existed for him, that soothed him.  It is not always about getting back together, but that doesn't mean that it is healthy for you either.

The most important thing is how do you feel? 

What do you need to go back to detaching from his actions?

Faith does not grow in the house of certainty - The Shack
LosingIt2

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 11:27:30 AM »

Seeking Balance,

I feel like you're attributing normal behavior to someone who is presumed to have BPD. Isn't one of points to understanding the disorder is to accept that those who are afflicted by it process relationships differently? At least that's what I continuously see on here.

Ex's reconnect from time to time, but we all know that BPD is not simple. I wouldn't write it off in such a way. I understand that your point is to have vangirl60 refocus her attention on herself; but I don't believe it makes a lot of sense to underestimate the disorder either.

He's having issues with his current gf and is looking for attention elsewhere. Unfortunate for all parties involved.

Bananas

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 12:21:59 PM »

It has taken me a long time to detach and I have done a thousand and one things to try and move on. It doesn’t work for me just to disregard these things. I need to understand something first before I can let it go. I’d appreciate some viewpoints from those of you with experience!

I just wanted to write something about the "need to understand" part of your post.  I too have this strong "need to understand" or "figure things out" before I can let something go.  And that is what often keeps me stuck.  A few days I go I read this post and it was a light bulb for me.  Maybe this will help you like it is helping me detach, it is from another thread on this board.

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=202189.msg12263135#msg12263135

Awhile back, I found something about the dynamics that exist between the lonely child and abandoned child that really resonated with me, and dramatically shifted the focus of my therapy/healing process.

You can find the whole article here (www.dailystrength.org/c/Physical_Emotional_Abuse/forum/13391054-lonly-child), but for me, what caught my attention back in January was this line:

"Trauma for the lonely child occurs mainly because of perceived failure they cannot “understand” enough (essentially an obsession at this point) ... . "

At the point when I read this article, I'd already spent the better part of 2+ years trying to "understand" why my undiagnosed partner of 12+ years decided to have an affair, lie to/about me in order to do so with impugnity, leave me when he got caught, empty our bank accounts, destroy my professional reputation/business, sever all ties with the five children he helped raise, mount a massive smear campaign against me, enable/allow/encourage/help/reward my replacement for slandering, harassing, stalking, and threatening me as well as my children, family, and friends - and, in general, consistently making decisions and engaging in behaviors that kept hurting me over and over and over again on a variety of levels and in a variety of different ways.

After reading this article, and starting to explore some of the ideas it presented with my therapist, I started to realize that trying to "understand" how/why my ex could do any of these things was the only way I'd ever been allowed to cope with the similar feelings of being hurt by someone I loved, trused, and depended on when I was a child and didn't have the power, means, or ability to simply remove myself to a safe distance from people whose decisions and behaviors were insensitive, reckless, irresponsible, irrational, self-serving, frightening, violent, and abusive.

"Understanding" may not have changed the fact that I was hurt, but it kept me from being further hurt for not understanding by being humiliated, punished, shamed, and made to feel stupid/selfish/petty for being hurt by what was said/done in the first place.

It was - without any doubt - an essential mechanism for coping with the effects of being the oldest child of a single (and very resentful) undiagnosed NPD/BPD mother of six when I didn't have the physical/emotional ability to actually say enough is enough, and just leave.

But it became an automatic, compulsive and completely unconscious reaction to being hurt that I kept doing, never really questioned or thought about it at all - even as an adult - until I found myself so obsessed with "understanding" why my ex would say/do all these things that hurt me so much over and over again - staying in contact with him to both get the information I needed in order to "understand" and let him know I did "understand" so it/he wouldn't have any reason to hurt me anymore - and not being physically/emotionallyable to stop myself from doing it even though it clearly wasn't working - that I had no choice but to address it in therapy.

Five months later, and many hours of writing/therapy later, I know that "understanding" why someone would choose to hurt me doesn't change the fact that they did, I am, I have every right to be, and that it does/should change the way I feel/think about them.

That all my "understanding" actually does is make me feel stupid, selfish, petty, vindictive, immature, and ashamed of allowing myself to feel hurt in the first place. That it forces me to reject, deny, marginalize, invalidate, question, repress and suppress a whole bunch of really appropriate, predictable, and completely justifiable feelings/thoughts/reactions to behaviors that are hurtful and/or frightening.

That it doesn't make me feel any safer or better.

That all it really does is make it physically/psychologically possible for me to continue to allow myself to be subjected to that kind of behavior.

That it's an inherently non-responsive, ineffective, and ultimately very self-destructive way of dealing with how it feels to be hurt by someone I love, trust, and depend on.

That there is no reason that makes it "okay" for anyone to hurt me. Ever.

That I don't need to let it happen anymore. That I don't have to stick around. That I'm not a child. That I can take care of myself. That I do have the freedom to walk away/not leave myself in a position where I have to be subjected to it/find a way to cope with how it makes me feel.

And, you know what, that works exactly the way I always secretly believed, felt, thought, hoped it would: it keeps me from being hurt in the first place.

The compulsion I had to "understand" what happened to me, and why, is what got me into therapy and even brought me to this board. It helped me get through a really difficult period for me physically/emotionally again even. But ultimately, I had to shift the focus of what I was trying to understand to myself in order to really be able to make any kind of definitive progress/change in the way I felt inside at all.

Not like I'm perfect or anything. I still struggle. I still self-aggrandize. Still engage in detached self-soothing (ahhh, the hours I've lost to pinterest and Netflix!). Still find my thoughts wandering back to trying to figure out/understand what happened and why on occasion even. But less and less as time goes by, and I'm better at seeing all those things for what they are now so am a little more mindful/respectful of both what I'm doing and why I'm doing it, and tend to make myself at least try to do something different/better/more effective/less ultimately self-destructive to get the comfort I need.

And it seems to be working. For now anyway. Which is about all I can hope/ask for. One day, one step at a time.

vangirl60

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 01:24:31 PM »

I appreciate all the comments and think there's validity to all of them... . I do think he may want to know that I'm out there in case he needs supply, possibly needed some soothing and yes it's important to distinguish normal from disordered. If I think about a normal person in a break-up s/he would possibly ask how you were and leave it at that. I found it interesting that he didn't ask how I was, only wanted to tell me how he was... . I think he's in the idealization phase right now- it's the first 3 months... . it seems the 8 month mark is a bit of a watershed time in BPD r/ships.

Thanks Bananas for your post- it definitely resonates with me.

seeking balance
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 01:34:21 PM »

I appreciate all the comments and think there's validity to all of them... . I do think he may want to know that I'm out there in case he needs supply, possibly needed some soothing and yes it's important to distinguish normal from disordered. If I think about a normal person in a break-up s/he would possibly ask how you were and leave it at that. I found it interesting that he didn't ask how I was, only wanted to tell me how he was... . I think he's in the idealization phase right now- it's the first 3 months... . it seems the 8 month mark is a bit of a watershed time in BPD r/ships.

Thanks Bananas for your post- it definitely resonates with me.

Healthy people are able to realize the damage to a relationship, apologize and let go.

Normal is not the word I would choose - healthy coping or disordered coping... . plenty of nonBPD use what society terms normal coping that is actually not exactly healthy.

Vangirl - you seem pretty familiar with the idealization phase and where he may be, ultimately - how YOU feel and how YOU are effected is really the most important part of recovery.

You believe he has BPD traits or you wouldn't be here, right?

As such, how have you learned to depersonalize his actions so you can continue to heal?

vangirl60

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 02:18:24 PM »

He's not diagnosed but shows so many BPD traits with some narcissism as well. I had so many go rounds with him that I'm so much more able to detach and see him objectively. It helps that he lives in a different place too. Trouble with me is I'm a helper extraordinaire... . really working hard to overcome co-dependent tendencies... . I think I'll always want to help people but need to do it outside of a r/ship! I still seem to be drawn to these types... . maybe not BPD but addictive personality types. Any advice appreciated!
suz124w

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 02:54:22 PM »

Bananas,

I haven't been on here for a while but I was in a 3 year relationship with an uBPD which was very abusive emotionally and ended very destructively for me with extreme devaluation, anger, rejection without empathy etc etc, you know the routine.

That was 18 months ago, I've done all the recommended things too including a year's therapy and I just wanted to thank you for that post.  It absolutely resonates with me!

I am at the stage now where I have 'moved on' (hate that expression!) and understand what happened a lot better through my own efforts ( I never had closure and don't expect any).  I have reached the stage where I fully understand where all my efforts at understanding difficult people originated from and can exercise mindfulness, realise that, as an adult, I have the power to walk away from hurtful people, to step outside drama without being held captive to the hurt.  What a wonderfully liberating moment!

Thank you so much for your post!
seeking balance
Retired Staff

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 03:07:12 PM »

He's not diagnosed but shows so many BPD traits with some narcissism as well. I had so many go rounds with him that I'm so much more able to detach and see him objectively. It helps that he lives in a different place too.

good that you can be objective.  At the end of the day, diagnosis or not, this person does not bring out your best self, right?  As such, I find that focusing on what buttons were pushed in me is much easier to work with than trying to guess why another person does what they do.  I kinda had to accept my ex has Cluster B tendencies and that just isn't healthy for me - now, this took some time to accept - but ultimately, that is the result.

Trouble with me is I'm a helper extraordinaire... . really working hard to overcome co-dependent tendencies... . I think I'll always want to help people but need to do it outside of a r/ship! I still seem to be drawn to these types... . maybe not BPD but addictive personality types. Any advice appreciated!

Looking at the core of "why" is the key.  Therapy can help, rigorous honesty and ultimately the honest-to-god desire to change.  Change is not easy for anyone.

Focusing here rather than why your ex did or didn't contact you is probably a better use of your time.   

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest