Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 07:02:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Beware of Junk Psychology... Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's true. Not all blogs and online "life coaches" are reliable, accurate, or healthy for you. Remember, there is no oversight, no competency testing, no registration, and no accountability for many sites - it is up to you to qualify the resource. Learn how to navigate this complicated arena...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They, them and us...  (Read 347 times)
winston72
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: July 13, 2013, 03:23:27 PM »

As I have spent time on these boards, I have become more careful about my use of pronouns that dehumanize people.  Initially, applying the BPD label to my ex was very helpful because it put her identified the nature and source of the behavior.  It allowed me to start seeing things more accurately.  It also ultimately highlighted my unhealthy personality traits. 

As time goes on, however, using the terms "they" or "them" shapes ones perceptions that we are dealing with a monolithic force rather than a person.  The initial awareness of BPD is incredibly enlightening.  It can be a "key" that unlocks otherwise mysterious behaviors.  Sometimes people write about their interactions as though they are dealing with alien forces that occupy the body of their loved one. 

I know this is not news to people on this board.  I can think of many conversations about BPD being a spectrum disorder that affects people differently.  Also, there is much encouragement to respond to behaviors and traits rather than follow a drive for a diagnostic conclusion.  There is otherwise a need for the "aha" diagnosis from a professional to make sense of everything, as though the behaviors themselves were not adequate.  As I write this, I know this was true for me, and it was/is at least in part because my own self esteem and trust in my judgment had been eroded so dramatically.  My trust in my own intuition was so low that I really needed it to be validated  by the views of others.

Finally, the "them" and "us" terminology fosters a "healthy" vs "disordered" view of the world.  Again, this is initially a very important truth for many of us (myself included) to digest.  It is the beginning of a path to a new life.  However, it can also shield us from the areas of our own lives that become the primary response to all of this tumult.  And, of course, it is why Level 6 is called Personal Inventory!

Okay, just kind of thinking through my fingers here.  Thanks for reading!

Want2know
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 03:45:54 PM »

Good finger thinking!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

What you say is very true.  We see a lot of the 'they' thoughts here, which as you mention, in the beginning can be helpful in understanding the disorder in a more objective way.

We actually have guidelines here where you might see us nudge others who use the 'they' term instead of talking about their specific experiences.  Overgeneralizing can be detrimental in working through ones personal issues - it can take the focus off of what we have the power to change - ourselves.

“The path to heaven doesn't lie down in flat miles. It's in the imagination with which you perceive this world, and the gestures with which you honor it." ~ Mary Oliver
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest