Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 10:31:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's so difficult to get rid of our shemas, so difficult to love ourselves  (Read 387 times)
Blaise

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: August 26, 2013, 02:53:08 AM »

I know exactly why I keep longing for my dBPDexgf -- it felt safe, because it felt just like home.

Just like with my mother, I thought she would give me affection and validation if I was good enough, if I could help her. So I kept being there and I kept trying, kept trying to improve myself.

And I just behaved like my father, being passive, unable to stand for myself, tolerating the insults and the disrespect.

It's just so difficult to get rid of this shema, which feels so safe because we are used to it. So difficult to love ourselves.
heartandwhole
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 03:03:53 AM »

It's a long road, Blaise, but really worth it. I can relate to what you wrote.  We are all looking for that safe, loving person who will make us feel like we are okay. 

Only we can do it for ourselves, no one else can.    That's been a hard lesson for me, and with therapy and reading and this site, I'm learning how.  Boundaries have been an important step for me, and I am actually enjoying practicing the new behavior.

What are you doing differently now?

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
Phoenix.Rising

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 06:15:47 PM »

That is some deep and painful insight, Blaise.  I can relate to what you are feeling.  I also agree that it is difficult to get rid of our schemas.  But it is not impossible.  We have to retrain ourselves.  Behavior modification.  I have to take small steps at a time. 

What do you think it feels like to be true to yourself?  To be you?  Not to be who you think someone else wants you to be, but you.  Think about that, and think about how you can accomplish that.  I am doing the same thing.  I know it requires patience and gentleness with myself, but I am worth it.  And so are you.

willtimeheal

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Split 4-2013 trying to work it out

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 06:27:14 PM »

The hardest part for me is I have no idea who I am. I have spent so much of my life trying to be what and who everyone else wanted me to be that I have no idea who I am. On the journey to finding myself I get scared... . What if I don't like myself?  What if I turn out to be a loser?  There are so many "what ifs"  It is the scariest road I have ever traveled. I find it more frightening than my relationship with my ex BPD. Crazy!

Rose Tiger

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 09:52:10 AM »

In the movie Runaway Bride, Julia Roberts is all about pleasing her partner and not knowing what she really likes.  There is a scene where Richard Gere asks her what is her favorite way to have eggs, she can't answer because her favorite eggs are whatever her man at the time likes as his favorite.  Then it shows her with plates around filled with all the different ways you can make eggs and she is sampling each one to decide which is her favorite. 

Finding yourself is sort of the same thing, trying things and deciding what you like and what you don't like for yourself. Unconditionally, without condemnation.  Those critical thoughts come in, fight them the same way if someone you love is being put down.  "Hey, you can't think that way about me, I'm not that bad, sheesh, give me a break."  That sort of thing, retrain your thoughts to acceptance and love versus put downs. 
willtimeheal

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Split 4-2013 trying to work it out

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 12:05:04 PM »

It is a long and very lonely road at times

Phoenix.Rising

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 12:56:31 PM »

Yes, it is, WillTimeHeal.  I've been feeling many of those same feelings. 

But I also thought of this wise saying, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

Rose Tiger

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 01:37:23 PM »

Hugs to you WillTimeHeal, you are among folks that understand, hang in there! 
myself

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 08:13:47 PM »

There were times when I thought this is just the way it's supposed to be. Messed up, painful, tripping over shadows, trying hard to keep being there for everybody else. When you look in the mirror and that's what you see, it makes you not want to look into mirrors for a while, but it also wakes you up. If you're still open enough to it. If you have a heart, which a lot of people do. That childhood taste can nag at you, make you sick, and leave you staring off in wonder, also, because like all of life there's a mix of everything all rolled up together, and what are we going to do about it? You can't just say well ok I'm not that kid anymore I'm this grown up responsible whatever I am, but then again you kind of can. So we scrape away at the old layers, soaking in what is good for us, and when we're breathing in and out, from here on out, it's better than it used to be.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest