Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 12:19:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ONE YEAR: CELEBRATING The Day I Found My Power  (Read 379 times)
nolisan

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: October 06, 2013, 10:59:47 AM »

Yep - last year tomorrow morning at 5 am I woke her up and politely told her to "Get the F*** Out!".

Yes - I did. Little old me - Mr Nice Guy. The rescuer - the man who thought this woman held the only key to my happiness... .

The Adult Child who would be lost and empty each time her mood changed and she declared a "time out" (by email)... .

The groveling man who would ask "what did I do this time?", feel inferior and flawed, feel punished for being me, ask for forgiveness, and promise to change... .

The guy who would instantly forget the last bad behavior and melt when she came back to my door with a few scraps of attention. Why would I ask questions, seek solutions, have an adult conversation when it risked a mood change? It would be different this time ... .

Etc, etc, etc.

So how did I instantly find my power?

It was the end but I hadn't accepted it. She was sleeping on the couch. I woke up in the darkness. It was freezing cold. I got up and checked my back door. Wide open! She had done it again! Left me.

I went out on my deck and looked up into the dark sky. The full moon and three bright planets formed a perfect east/west line. Something clicked in me - this was it: a signal, a sign.

I went back in and there she was still on the couch! (she must have gone out for a smoke in the middle of the night and the door hadn't latched).

I woke her up. "hit__ you left the door open and my cats got out! I thought you had left in the middle of the night."

"Oh no ... .you love your cats ... ."

"Thats OK they came back but ... .I am never going to feel this way again. Get the F*** Out! You have two minutes!" I said this in a calm voice. I couldn't believe the words were coming out of my mouth. It was like I was observing myself from above, an out of body experience.

I went back in my bedroom, shut the door and heard some mad scrambling and then quiet. She was gone ... .the last time would see her.

Now looking back I occasionally feel some remorse. That wasn't a nice way to wake a fellow human being up. But (I hate that word) ... .it was the day I found my power again. I had reclaimed my power, my very masculinity. It was divine intervention. God blew the door open in the middle of the night!

Noli

Montana

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 11:24:49 AM »

Congratulations... I hope you are doing good!
hopealways
aka moving4ward

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 11:45:35 AM »

Proud of you! You felt remorse for using profanity on that occasion but I am CERTAIN she called you names and used profanity towards you during your entire relationship.  Be grateful that you had a limit and reached it and got out. Many stay for decades with these people and (if) they leave all they can remember is a life with the BPD and nothing else. 

I started a post about standing up to the abuser and what I am learning from the responses and yours as well is that once you do stand up to them it is truly the end.  It's like they are the anaconda who sees a prey too large for them to eat so they slither away to a smaller, easier prey. BPD are very weak people who wear a mask of being all powerful to hide their weakness.  They are attracted to powerful men but they are also masters at uncovering and manipulating those powerful men's weaknesses and slowly breaking them down.  However, once you do stand up to them and they feel you are serious this time, their only reaction is to run away for good... .but you will remain the ONLY one who stood up to them, and while they may not come back, they will respect you for it (not that you care). 
Learning_curve74

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 03:18:42 AM »

Namaste nolisan... . 

When I broke up with my exBPDgf, it was the only time I ever used the F-word on her. In retrospect, I feel a little bad about it, but on the other hand it was also clearly expressing my feeling at the time.

Aussie0zborn

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 07:03:13 AM »

Well done. You avoid the messy ending that you otherwise would have had.  Smart man.
Vindi

Relationship status: Living together

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 08:22:09 AM »

wow, you did all the right things... .

can I ask? did you do complete NC up until now, or did she ever try to come back into your life?
nolisan

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 03:42:03 PM »

NC on either side for a year - the best for both of us.

A few hours after the GTFO moment I received a final email from her. She never wanted to see or hear from me again.  Guess she needed to get the "final" word in Laugh out loud (click to insert in post). Fine by me!

Just a note on MY last year: I threw myself into recovery ... .therapist, CoDA and ACoA. It has been a Big year of personal growth. I am grateful for the r/s (the ecstasy and the agony). I wish the very best for her.
eeyore

Relationship status: in a relationship

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 08:31:25 PM »

yea!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Iwilldecide

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 09:36:45 PM »

This post is inspiring. It gives hope. Kudos to you. You are strong!
Lucky Jim

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 03:04:40 PM »

Hey Nolisan,

Sounds like you found the Wild Man within (see Iron John by Robert Bly).  For some of us married types, it was a longer process . . . but still worth it to reclaim my power and get back my authentic self.

I am the politest guy in the world, but even I dropped the F-bomb a number of times when my Ex was trying to goad and taunt me, without relenting, as she was frequently inclined to do, especially towards the end.  Once we separated I never looked back.  I experienced a sense of relief, and it sounds like you did, too!

Lucky Jim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
nolisan

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 01:29:40 PM »

Thanks for all the great comments. My self esteem s still healing and your affirmations are appreciated. (I am even better at accepting compliments now).

Today I am truly grateful for the ex passing through my life - painful as it was. She was a "black swan" in my life - an unexpected game changing event. (I said that to her one time and gave her the book).

I have discovered and am re-parenting my inner child and have come out of denial on my childhood wounding.  Hard work but it is worth it.

"People come into your life for a season, a reason or a lifetime" Thank god it wasn't the later!

Noli
dansure

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 07:06:49 AM »

Yep - last year tomorrow morning at 5 am I woke her up and politely told her to "Get the F*** Out!".

Yes - I did. Little old me - Mr Nice Guy. The rescuer - the man who thought this woman held the only key to my happiness... .

The Adult Child who would be lost and empty each time her mood changed and she declared a "time out" (by email)... .

The groveling man who would ask "what did I do this time?", feel inferior and flawed, feel punished for being me, ask for forgiveness, and promise to change... .

The guy who would instantly forget the last bad behavior and melt when she came back to my door with a few scraps of attention. Why would I ask questions, seek solutions, have an adult conversation when it risked a mood change? It would be different this time ... .

Etc, etc, etc.

So how did I instantly find my power?

It was the end but I hadn't accepted it. She was sleeping on the couch. I woke up in the darkness. It was freezing cold. I got up and checked my back door. Wide open! She had done it again! Left me.

I went out on my deck and looked up into the dark sky. The full moon and three bright planets formed a perfect east/west line. Something clicked in me - this was it: a signal, a sign.

I went back in and there she was still on the couch! (she must have gone out for a smoke in the middle of the night and the door hadn't latched).

I woke her up. "hit__ you left the door open and my cats got out! I thought you had left in the middle of the night."

"Oh no ... .you love your cats ... ."

"Thats OK they came back but ... .I am never going to feel this way again. Get the F*** Out! You have two minutes!" I said this in a calm voice. I couldn't believe the words were coming out of my mouth. It was like I was observing myself from above, an out of body experience.

I went back in my bedroom, shut the door and heard some mad scrambling and then quiet. She was gone ... .the last time would see her.

Now looking back I occasionally feel some remorse. That wasn't a nice way to wake a fellow human being up. But (I hate that word) ... .it was the day I found my power again. I had reclaimed my power, my very masculinity. It was divine intervention. God blew the door open in the middle of the night!

Noli

The bold parts sound SO familiar.

I once reached the the point as you where I was so sick of all this. We just took care of her for 3 weeks because she had chickenpox and I did everything for her. One wrong sentence and she wanted to break up again. I kicked her out back then and she went crazy and started to spill stuff over my carpet. But unfortunately i felt sorry for her, when I saw her leaving and carrying all that stuff, even though she was acting totally crazy. So I got back together with her back then.

I wished I would have ended it as you did!

Very inspiring post!
Sammamish

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 07:37:26 AM »

Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest