Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 05:22:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many of you ended up asking: "You don't remember any good things?"  (Read 509 times)
dansure

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: October 19, 2013, 04:14:57 AM »

Since the stories are all similar in some patterns, I was wondering how many of you ended up asking:

"So you don't remember anything good from our relationship?"

I noticed that this seems to be a common question from nonBPDs.
HarmKrakow

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 04:17:07 AM »

Yip I said it, many times after we broke up Smiling (click to insert in post) and still believe she doesn't remember good things.
maxen
Retired Staff

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 04:21:07 AM »

i've said that. oh have i ever.

HarmKrakow

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 04:24:19 AM »

Interesting part on this is that my previous exes did appreciate the time and do remember the good times. And we mutually agree on that Smiling (click to insert in post)
Aussie0zborn

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 05:14:13 AM »

I don't recall asking this question as it was obvious from the devaluation that it would be a futile question.
Ironmanrises

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 05:44:24 AM »

How many of you ended up asking... .

"You don't remember any good things... .?"

I asked my exUBPDgf... .

This very question... .

In both rounds of devaluation/discard.

I got the same answer in both.

"Ironmanfalls... .

There is nothing about you that i really like... ."

Yes.

The same exact answer.

I asked her in round 2... .

"You do realize... .

That you said this to me... .

The last time... .

(Round 1 discard)... .

And then... .

YOU do realize... .

YOU are the one... .

Who came back... .

To me... .

Right... .?

Her response... .

Silence.

That was one of her favorite... .

Responses... .

To the questions... .

That she knows... .

She cannot... .

Does not want to... .

Answer.

Clearly... .

There is something really f¥cking wrong here.
sm15000

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 09:10:13 AM »

Actually I never had that. . .when I knew it had to be over because I couldn't accept his involvement with other women, in an e-mail I wrote 'well at least we had good times'. . .he replied 'they were the greatest of times'

Also, when I agreed to meet him 4 months after I ended it, he told me (although with a bit of a scowl on his face) 'I was a hard act to follow'

Very confusing as he was seeing other women and continued lying and manipulating. . .perhaps this was all part of it, to avoid abandonment 
Blade99d

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 09:57:58 AM »

WOW... .if I asked this question once, I asked it a thousand times.  We went to opening day for our MLB team in April, then the following week we went to our NHL team, she dropped my on my head on Friday, litterally a day after the NHL game.  I have asked my T about this behavior several times, as it just makes no sense to me.  He tells me this is the only way she can survive.  She told me a couple weeks later to move on, as she had already moved on.  My response... .theres a surprise.  The patterns are all so similar.  Rinse and repeat, do not pass go, and do not collect your $200 dollars. 
bluebell7

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 10:18:57 AM »

I have said that, too.  And struggling with the pain my X caused the children... .blinded me to anything that had been good for years after the divorce.  But now 11 years have passed... .we have been working through it though and we can remember good things.
ThanksForPlaying

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 10:49:34 AM »

I've posted about this before... .They re-write their own memories when they paint us black.  Back when we were still together, I made an album of all our fun pictures (because albums are rare, and pictures get stuck on phones). She wouldn't look through it at first, was too busy, then I kind of coerced her to flip through it with me one day, and it was almost painful for her - all the smiling pictures didn't really evoke any emotions.

Another thing I've experienced is sometimes BPDs have very good memories and can remember lots of details, but the bad memories tend to pile up and become insurmountable.  Sometimes I'll say something like "when have we ever fought over what to watch on tv?" And she'll say "6 months ago on a Thursday night we argued about it".  Of course for nons, to get through life you have to let stuff slide, but for them, the scar tissue builds up and becomes too much.
Traumatized

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 10:52:06 AM »

Yes, I can remember saying, "You don't remember anything good that I've ever done for you?"  I lot of times she would say that I'd never done this or never done that, and when I would present evidence to the contrary she refused to acknowledge it or would play it down.  For example, I'd buy her $100 worth of groceries and she'd reduce it down to I bought water and a bag of combos. 

ThanksForPlaying

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 11:08:10 AM »

I lot of times she would say that I'd never done this or never done that, and when I would present evidence to the contrary she refused to acknowledge it or would play it down.

This is part of setting up no-win situations, among other things... .Probably black/white thinking too since there are very few "nevers" in life, but BPDs use them a lot.

Her: you never do anything nice for my birthday

Me: do you remember the party last year and the gifts I bought you?

Her: why do you always have to argue with me? Can't I just say something without you saying I'm wrong?

Been there many times... .

UnLuckyLady

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 11:33:36 AM »

when I asked my ex is very question and begin to list specific good things that we have been thru, he cut me off mid sentence and said I don't think we should talk about those things.  He refused to think about the good.  I think for him to revisit in his mind any good memories of us was placing him in the "grey" area, which was impossible because he had already split me black.

THIS was the hardest thing for me to deal with in this entire ordeal. The fact that he couldn't remember anything good about me, when that's ALL I ever was... .good to him.
maxen
Retired Staff

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 11:42:34 AM »

every single post on this thread has brought a bit of validation to me

guitargrl

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 04:54:36 PM »

Yes this was always a huge issue for us too.  One minute I could be considered the best, most caring, sweet etc and at the drop of a hat I could be awful, non caring, etc… at those times he could not remember anything good.  I would say " I am the same person you adored yesterday" I have not changed.  Give it 2 weeks of no contact (give or take) and then he usually starts to remember great stuff again, over the top.  It was always crazy because I loved when he adored me but I would tell him to tone it down, I am not that great. It was scary when he loved me and scary when he hated me.
HarmKrakow

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 05:05:12 PM »

the black and white ordeal of BPD at work here ladies and gentzz Smiling (click to insert in post). Very typical black/white patterns!
saw_tooth

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 05:06:18 PM »

Mine evaded the question for as long as possible and then denied/failed to remember the good times.

I asked myself more often than I asked him though.
HarmKrakow

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 06:13:16 PM »

when I asked my ex is very question and begin to list specific good things that we have been thru, he cut me off mid sentence and said I don't think we should talk about those things.  He refused to think about the good.  I think for him to revisit in his mind any good memories of us was placing him in the "grey" area, which was impossible because he had already split me black.

THIS was the hardest thing for me to deal with in this entire ordeal. The fact that he couldn't remember anything good about me, when that's ALL I ever was... .good to him.

Same here, the moment I listed good things my BPD ex told me, they don't exist anymore. That has happened in the past and I don't have emotion to those feelings anymore.
atcrossroads

Relationship status: Married, 8 years

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 11:19:38 PM »

Yes, I can remember saying, "You don't remember anything good that I've ever done for you?"  I lot of times she would say that I'd never done this or never done that, and when I would present evidence to the contrary she refused to acknowledge it or would play it down.  For example, I'd buy her $100 worth of groceries and she'd reduce it down to I bought water and a bag of combos. 

My experience was exactly the same and these types of scenarios happened over and over throughout the marriage.  One of our main recurring arguments was him saying that I contributed NOTHING to the marriage -- he did do more cleaning, but I did the shopping, bill paying, majority of cooking and laundry, and I also made more money (and funded his drug habit!).  It absolutely INFURIATED me that when he was upset, he could see NO good in me.

When I guess I was finally devalued all the way (about 3 months before we separated), he claimed he didn't even feel he had a wife.  I asked if there was anything about me that made me a good wife (mind you, I am a calm, patient, kind person who supported him for years).  He said, no.  There is not a single thing I can report that would be evidence that you are or have been a good wife.

He was serious too.  I think he really believed that.  ... .?

HarmKrakow

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 01:38:13 AM »

My experience was exactly the same and these types of scenarios happened over and over throughout the marriage.  One of our main recurring arguments was him saying that I contributed NOTHING to the marriage -- he did do more cleaning, but I did the shopping, bill paying, majority of cooking and laundry, and I also made more money (and funded his drug habit!).  It absolutely INFURIATED me that when he was upset, he could see NO good in me.

When I guess I was finally devalued all the way (about 3 months before we separated), he claimed he didn't even feel he had a wife.  I asked if there was anything about me that made me a good wife (mind you, I am a calm, patient, kind person who supported him for years).  He said, no.  There is not a single thing I can report that would be evidence that you are or have been a good wife.

He was serious too.  I think he really believed that.  ... .?

And then people wonder how others can get depressed...

One day you look at the man of your life and want to get married ... and a few years later he doesn't even recognize on single good thing. That is enough material to get mental issues...
dansure

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 05:50:19 AM »

The reason why I opened this threat is that the answer to this question helped me a lot to get over her.

We all know that of course there have been good times, otherwise we wouldn't stay with them for so long and they wouldn't stay with us.

But when they say now that they don't remember anything good, they mean it. Because their perception of reality twisted.

Why should you miss as person who doesn't miss you anymore, because he/she is happy to be out of a relationship that "only had bad times". I don't know about you guys, but this thought helps me a lot.

The difference between us non-BPD and them is that we can of course remember the good and the bad times. And we are honest to ourselves the bad times predominated.

I personally look forward to a normal relationship again. Ofc I might break up with the next one as well, but then I can expect a normal good bye where both keep the good times in their heart. When I think about my BPDex I don't even really miss her anymore, knowing she totally forgot about the good times - even when it's part of her disease. The fact that she doesn't remember the good times, retro perspectively makes them less important to me.
HarmKrakow

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 06:10:38 AM »

My ex went even that far that she discarded her ENTIRE time with me. It's the past, it happened, but I'm not going to sleep bad over this. Why would I? I only have the future to look forward to and so should you she told me.

And I was like, but, but the good times we shared?

That's the past I heard.

I wanted to throw myself under a bus when I heard that.

Nicco

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »

Nice question indeed.

I didn't asked her directly,but while we were breaking up my exBPDgf often told me "when i look back to our story we had good moments in the beginning (is called "honeymoon",baby) and few others... .but for the rest we have just been hurting eachother"
Pretty Woman

The Greatest Love is the Love You Give Yourself

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 03:45:49 PM »

Funny, she told me she does not have the same memories of our ugly relationship, there were no good times and I treated her poorly.

Wow um sitting right behind home plate at the Cubs game, volunteering at a petting zoo for the disabled (we got to hang with a huge potbellied pig), holding hands in a cornmaze, kissing under the stars. Celebrating her birthday in a converted elevator shaft where we dined by candlelight and enjoyed a five course dinner... .telling me no one had ever treated her so good.

Yeah it's hurtful. Very hurtful.

Pretty Woman

The Greatest Love is the Love You Give Yourself

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2013, 03:51:21 PM »

Traumatized,

I am still laughing over the bottle of water and bag of combos. Laugh out loud (click to insert in post).

When my ex came and got her bike lock she took the cable and combo lock I bought (that she was using to secure my grill to my townhouse porch). When I questioned it she said, really? I paid for your garbage disposal and almost everything in this relationship.

* I paid her for the parts and she helped me fix a disposal. Wow. Since she dumped me she is telling everyone I am a self absorbed princess. It just amazes me. Really crazy stuff.

Naddred369

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2013, 04:15:42 PM »

The very last time I saw her about 2 weeks after the break up she said " weve had some good times!"

Thats it?

"some" good times?

I found this very hurtful and shocking. The truth is we had some amazing times together, truly memorable experiances!

Well, I did anyway! Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)
goldylamont

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 05:44:26 PM »

i remember after breaking up my ex was really devaluing me and the r/s, i forget exactly the context but in general, yes she was trying to say that i was all bad and the whole r/s was a waste of time. i still remember my response to this and so happy i said things in this way. i just told the truth, but i also stopped her in her tracks which felt good at the time.

after she claimed i and the r/s was worthless, i rattled off something similar to

"really? really you got nothing good out of this r/s or from knowing me?" she indignantly nods yes. "well you're a complete idiot then. me? i got *lots* out of this r/s. i'm not stupid. i never would have spent 4 years with you if i didn't have good times. i learned a *lot*. i have a better diet now [she was vegetarian], i love dogs now [she introduced me to this], i know i love living with someone and i have lots of great memories. i took a lot of good out of this experience. if you didn't well then you're pretty stupid. you could have learned so much from me. you could have learned to start your own business, you could have learned to get you s**t straight or to be more patient. you could have learned to tap into your creative side [i'm an active artist]. i know i have lots to offer so if after 4 years you haven't taken anything from this then you're way dumber than i thought you were."

i waited for a response. she didn't have anything to say, Laugh out loud (click to insert in post). how could she? in her narcissistic state she didn't want to look dumb and weak for wasting 4 years of her life but the only way to say she didn't would be to acknowledge that i had good qualities, which she didn't want to acknowledge. i think i short-circuited her brain, Laugh out loud (click to insert in post). felt good at the time. at least the argument was over.
Traumatized

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 06:14:42 PM »

I just asked her this question again a few weeks ago (the last time I talked to her).  Her answer:  For every ten good things I did I would do one EVIL one that would wipe them all out.  She reduced my overall value down to being good for giving her car rides.

Learning_curve74

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 09:58:56 PM »

Why do so many people put value in what their BPDex said or says?   

I'm sure many of us have been lied to by the pwBPD in our lives. So why do we ask them a question expecting to get a truthful answer? Why do we value their answer at all?*

My exBPDgf told me both good things and bad things about her exes. What she tells them, I'm not sure. But I know not to trust anything she says because it is just as likely to be true as it is to be false.

Personally, I do believe that a BPD remembers the past and maybe deep down at a certain level they know there were good times, but they have to express the past as mostly bad to avoid the shame of having destroyed yet another relationship.

*I actually feel that the reason we ask these questions is that we do enjoy the validation, that it is also soothing to hear that even when the relationship ends poorly that our exes valued it and felt the same things we felt.

Numbers
Formerly "4 8 15 16 23 42"

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 04:39:23 AM »

I experienced this too. During last recycle: "While in (previous) relationship with you... .I felt HORRIBLE".

But really, what do (did) we expect? Where there is lack of object constancy and lack of coherent narrative, bad memories will (by their nature) prevail.

I used to obsess and rage about that statement. I still might in the future. OH REALLY? You felt horrible? Dear girl, I pulled you out of gloom and created a frame for you to flourish. So, how come?

But, the truth is that today I am not so hurt anymore. She probably truly felt horrible. She did not invent this just to hurt me. Sure, she did hurt me, but not through some machination, instead simply stating what was truth FOR HER.

And honestly, what took me a loong time to face and accept is that, yes, I was abused, no doubts about it. But after some months I started hurling that abuse right back. I keep tell myself that I was less abusive and just reactive, but it still does not make it justifiable or right. Guess I am slowly starting to measure myself again by my own standards, not by hers.

Today I realize that after hearing how horrible she felt in r/s with me, i should have left then and there. instead of thinking "Well, I will just try harder".
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest