Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 06, 2024, 10:27:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Responding to accusations regarding nonverbal cues  (Read 406 times)
daylily

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married - 7 years; Relationship - total of 13 years

« on: October 25, 2013, 01:50:45 PM »

I've read a lot here and in books about how people with BPD have heightened sensitivity to the feelings of others, such that they can read nonverbal cues and vocal tones better than the average person.  (This seems to be a complete contradiction given the fact that they lack empathy, but I digress.) 

My uBPDh frequently reads the tone of my voice or my nonverbal cues, and to the extent they seem inconsistent with what I'm saying, he gets angry.  Sometimes he's flat out wrong - e.g., I cross my arms over my stomach when we're in an argument because I'm in self-protection mode, but he sees it as being aggressive.  But many times, he's correct.  For example, a few nights ago, he told me that he had fed the kids noodles with butter for dinner.  I said "okay," or something like that.  He could tell from my tone (even though I didn't think my tone was any different) that I didn't think that was okay.  He said angrily, "There's that tone again.  You think I should have given them something more nutritious."  Truthfully, he read me absolutely correct and knew what I was thinking, but I didn't want to get into it with him.  I'm trying to pick my battles these days, and it's been hard lately to get the kids to eat anything, so upon further reflection, it wasn't that big a deal.

How do I respond when he's got the nonverbals correct, but I just don't want to start a conflict?  I suppose I could lie and tell him that he's got the nonverbals wrong, but that doesn't seem appropriate.

Daylily
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

AnitaL

Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 07:35:39 PM »

Hi Daylily  ,

I have an issue with this too sometimes.  What I try to do if he calls me on it is to admit that in my mind the response wasn't a simple "okay", but that I said that to him to try to be better at staying positive and not criticizing.   For example, you might say to him: "Yes, you're right -- I was actually thinking that the kids probably should have something more nutritious.  But then I realized that it has been tough to get them to eat much lately, so I didn't think that would be fair to bring up."  It's not an apology or a defense, just an honest explanation that transforms the accusation into something more positive.

123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 06:08:33 AM »

Hi Daylily  ,

I have an issue with this too sometimes.  What I try to do if he calls me on it is to admit that in my mind the response wasn't a simple "okay", but that I said that to him to try to be better at staying positive and not criticizing.   For example, you might say to him: "Yes, you're right -- I was actually thinking that the kids probably should have something more nutritious.  But then I realized that it has been tough to get them to eat much lately, so I didn't think that would be fair to bring up."  It's not an apology or a defense, just an honest explanation that transforms the accusation into something more positive.

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
Chosen

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 09:05:01 PM »

That's a hard one, and I get that too.  And it's worse when they are correct about what we're thinking, even though they may not know the whole picture.

I love AnitaL's suggested response.  First of all, lying will NOT work.  As you said, they are hypersensitive to our emotions.  Unless they are just making up stuff to accuse you (my H does that sometimes, will say that I hate him or whatever), most likely they "accuse" you of something because they picked up on some cues, verbal or not.  So you can admit to the part that he's correct about, but don't dwell on that, and admit that yes, for a moment you didn't agree with his decision, but then you thought it wasn't so bad, so that's why you didn't speak up.

In bad days, this may start a fight, I know.  However, there is also a chance that they will learn that when people disagree with their views, it's ok, because other people don't necessarily go out and attack them, or look down on them.  Basically, it's you teaching by example of how you can turn some "issue" into a non-issue, and hopefully in time he may react in a less dramatic way.

It may work slowly but it does work.  I think my H is reacting a lot less dramatically in his good days now.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest