Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 08:01:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Beware of Junk Psychology... Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's true. Not all blogs and online "life coaches" are reliable, accurate, or healthy for you. Remember, there is no oversight, no competency testing, no registration, and no accountability for many sites - it is up to you to qualify the resource. Learn how to navigate this complicated arena...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Self-esteem Confidence Round II  (Read 341 times)
DesertChild

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: October 26, 2013, 10:54:17 AM »

So I've been talking this over with my T and we discovered that a lot of my self-confidence/self-esteem is reliant on others. I really, really want to be free of it, but I'm not sure how.

I practice things like self tuning and self meditation, finding center, being aware of myself, grounding. etc. I'm kinda past mindfulness--since that's just watching thoughts. I like to face them down, figure them out, etc. *shrugs* It's incomplete meditation to me, but I've been doing it for a while (Not in any way dissing people who it does work for). I also do creative things, but I think I've poured the majority of my self esteem into writing for the sake of itself. I worked on it a while back, but I guess I didn't quite finish it.

I think contributing factors are besides the obvious PwBPD... .the bullying/teasing I received for a long time. Because of that I was really isolated. Also all of the kids on my block disappeared, so I literally didn't have friends and when I did have friends they moved away to other schools because they got bullied too.

Before that point I was really extroverted, but I think this got corrupted into looking for approval for everything. I became a lot more unsure of myself, because while I'd gotten external affirmation before it suddenly went missing. An extrovert isolated was horrible, so I had to retract and create an inner world that was less horrible for myself that had friends.

I've noticed my self-esteem rides on the backs of other people, which is co-dependent, right? I don't want it to though. Why does it need an audience?

So I really need to find true self-esteem rather than the half-baked child version. And outside of writing. I was wondering if anyone struggled with something similar. I kinda need tips to get out of it. Are there exercises to do so?
fromheeltoheal

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken up, I left her

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 10:32:01 PM »

Esteem is respect and admiration, so self-esteem is self-respect and self-admiration.  I think it's important to develop that internally, and also developing relationships with people who will help us respect and admire ourselves.  So many times, when I wasn't focusing on boundaries and doing my people pleaser thing, I'd have developed what I thought was healthy self-esteem, just to have it trashed by disrespectful people.  It's good in a sense, to see how well we're doing, but paddling upstream against other people's crap long term is disempowering. 

Part of getting what I need from other people is asking for it, expressing vulnerability, and letting the right people in.  Relying entirely on other people for a sense of self esteem isn't healthy, although I don't know that I'd consider it codependent, but surrounding ourselves with people who help us feel good about ourselves is the juice of life.  Guess it's a balance, all new to me.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest