Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 04:00:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Frightens A pwBPD ?  (Read 456 times)
Willingtolearn

« on: February 09, 2014, 01:30:24 PM »

A straight forward, short and direct question

What could  a Non do that would trigger a pwBPD the most? Would it be words, actions or both?
seeking balance
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 01:33:36 PM »

What could  a Non do that would trigger a pwBPD the most? Would it be words, actions or both?

I know you are looking for easy, but triggering is not a "one size fits all answer"

what makes you ask this question?

Faith does not grow in the house of certainty - The Shack
elessar

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 01:34:50 PM »

1. If she feels you might abandon her, 2. if you tell her she is wrong. 3. if she feels invalidated (i am using the female 'her' because of my ex)
snappafcw

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 01:39:26 PM »

I think if you tell them they are wrong its the biggest one.

BPD persons look for those they can manipulate. Not because they are evil but they need to keep control. In the case of my last 2 ex's (both suspected BPD) I called them out on their BS and that was when it was all over and eventually never heard from them again. I was no longer of use.
Ironmanrises

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »

Intimacy. A pwBPD craves what you and I crave, emotional closeness/intimacy. Once that is achieved, that is what triggers the pwBPD into that other side of their fragmented personality. In their mind, it triggers the abandonment issues that are linked to the closeness/intimacy they crave. So that other side to them pushes you away because in their mind, the fear of abandonment whether real or imagined... . is real to them. It is why that other side that appears, is such a god awful entity.
jojomak

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 03:15:55 PM »

Intimacy. A pwBPD craves what you and I crave, emotional closeness/intimacy. Once that is achieved, that is what triggers the pwBPD into that other side of their fragmented personality. In their mind, it triggers the abandonment issues that are linked to the closeness/intimacy they crave. So that other side to them pushes you away because in their mind, the fear of abandonment whether real or imagined... . is real to them. It is why that other side that appears, is such a god awful entity.

myself

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 03:31:51 PM »

They scare themselves. That's who they're always running from.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 03:34:51 PM »

The biggest fears of mine:

1. Being abandoned

2. Being cheated upon (which is a form of #1)

3. Not being loved (#1 again)

4. Being alone

She's verbalized all three to me over the years, so it's interesting that convincing herself that I did #1 (in a sense this is true from a feelings standpoint), she became the physical manifestation of #s 1 and 2, and did #3 to me as well, leaving me #4.

Another thing that may or may not have anything to do with the disorder: being controlled... . while she seeks to control those around her, not succeeding in either one.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
MammaMia

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 05:02:04 PM »

Willingtolearn

That is a very complex question.

PwBPD lack a sense of self.  They are constantly shifting who they are and what triggers them.  The constants in BPD involve abandonment, fear of being judged, self-loathing, lack of empathy, loss of control, and emotional dysregulation.  My BPDs is very paranoid.  

What sets them off?  Well, some days, just about anything.  Any kind of conflict, a look something you say or do not say.  The list is endless.

Check out the communication skills here on this site as well as how to put boundaries in place.  I think you will find both very helpful in dealing with a pwBPD and trying to avoid triggers.

As for fear... . I believe they live in constant fear of just about everything and everyone.  It is very difficult to make them actually feel safe and loved.  It is a never-ending process.

Good luck.

mgl210

Relationship status: Single....a month?

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 06:23:43 PM »

In my humble opinion,

I think its being called out on their BS. They hate being wrong and being so called threatened. They also tend to give the other individual plenty of reasons to want to leave. I remember one time, my ex said to me that she tested me to see what would push me away from her and it seemed that no matter what she did, she knew I wouldn't give in so easily.  Its also what the above mentioned about emotional intimacy. Once they feel that they are not getting that from you. They tend to want to find it, and when they do, yes their insecurity will come in. Contrary to what others believe, I do think inside of them that they feel some sort of insecurity of their actions, and try and cover it up as they are the innocent party...

MGL
love4meNOTu

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 06:53:35 PM »

From my relationship ONLY I can tell you his fears:

Infidelity

Not caring about his feelings

Not "minding" him

Not being there for him all the time

Being alone

Object constancy

Not getting enough attention from me

Not answering his texts, emails or phone calls immediately

Taking money out of the account

Withdrawing from him gradually, he sensed it and became more angry, really stepped up the abuse.

He was afraid of so many things, but really it just came down to the fact that he can't control everything or everyone, and thus people may hurt him by leaving, dying, whatever.

It's a sad way to live, but he just pushes everyone away with his behavior, which is the opposite of what he really wants. He does not want to be alone, EVER.

L

In the depth of winter I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
~Albert Camus
santa

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 06:56:46 PM »

Not having control.

They think if they don't control you, then there's a chance you might leave them, so they want you totally isolated and with no means of escape. If they feel like they're losing control of you, then they leave you first.
Pearl55

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 07:17:44 PM »

Fear of abandonment.

Getting no attention.

Being alone.

mgl210

Relationship status: Single....a month?

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 07:27:16 PM »

Its funny that they are scared of not getting enough attention from you, but yet they are most likely the ones that is rejecting your company. At least that was the case in my situation... .

<MGL
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest