Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 08:22:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD/NPD propensity for cheating?  (Read 399 times)
JMS

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: February 13, 2014, 03:02:24 PM »

I'm new on the board, my wife hasn't been diagnosed, but I'm quite certain that she has NPD and after reading here and and conversing with Scallops and Turkish (thanks to both of you), BPD.

Sorry if this sounds kind of rambling or bouncing around, I'm writing this as notes as things come to mind.

And I hope this isn't too graphic for some (no details, just general descriptions).

She's an only child and when I met her, she lived at home with her parents.  She had a younger boyfriend that she had been with for 4+ years (and her first and only to that point, according to her), but told me that she was ready to break up with him.  If she had ever cheated on him, she didn't tell me.

Even after she had broken up with him, she was still stringing him along, not telling him that she had a new boyfriend.  I finally told her to tell him about us and it took me physically throwing her out of my room to convince her that I was serious, at which point she finally told him.

She had been talking to me on the phone and started coming to see me and go places with me for at least a month before she broke up with him.  When he would call her, she would lie about where she was and who she was with, even after breaking up with him, until she told him about me.

The sex started early and was frequent.  She told me that her and her ex had sex a lot, and they had done a lot of "different" things (in the car while he was driving, taping themselves, etc.).

We then broke up about a year later for a few months (because of her attitude) and within a week of that, she started dating another guy from my unit and they were quickly having sex (by her admission). 

When we started talking about getting back together, it was similar to with her first ex, we talked and saw each other for a while before she broke it off with the other guy and she didn't tell him about it.

When we got back together, I (probably stupidly) asked her about their "relationship" and I specifically asked her if she had done things for him that she had refused to do for me and she said yes without hesitation.

She also told me (she volunteered this) that they had gone to a club and she started drinking.  She then pulled him into the womens bathroom and into a stall (and claims nothing happened there).  Then, on the way home, she stripped down naked in the car, right in front of two other people sitting in the back seat, and tried to engage in an act with her boyfriend while he was driving.

She has always sworn that she would be and has been faithful to me (while being jealous and occasionally accusatory, even though I've never cheated), but I have also been deployed for a total of almost three years since we've been together and I spent over 4 years working mid-shift at a job that was two+ hours away, so there was a lot of time that I wasn't home early on in our marriage and we lived over 2 hours from her parents house (her first time being alone like that).

Occasionally, her behavior towards me gave me a weird feeling that something wasn't right, and the possibility of her cheating started bothering me, but I have never had any evidence that she ever has.  When I got that feeling, the particular act I asked her about before would come to mind.

The subject of her doing the particular "act" with the other guy came up twice since I asked her about it.

The first time, when I mentioned that she said it, she told me that she didn't really do it, that she just said she did to hurt me. 

The second time, when I mentioned it, she said that she never said she did it and that she would never say anything like that to me.  Even after I insisted that she said it, she still swore that she never said it (one of those times where I went "Am I crazy? Wait, no... . ".

After the initial relationship, our sex life has remained reasonably active, with her frequently being the one to initiate, but there have been occasions where, as I mentioned, she suddenly changed and something didn't seem right, but I had no proof of anything.  Then, she would get active with me again.

One thing that she said to me early on that stood out as kind of odd to me (and probably should have been another red flag for me) was that she "loved" doing a specific thing, not that she loved doing it with me, just that she loved doing it. 

Since we've been married, she says she still loves doing it, but I practically have to beg her to do it and if she does it at my request, she puts no effort into it, but when she initiates it, she really gets into it.

As it stands now, we ride into work together most of the time (at her insistence), she doesn't really have any friends outside of work and doesn't really go out.  However, in the few times that she has gone out with her work friends, she insists that she doesn't want me to go (and I generally didn't push the issue because I wanted her to get out more).

So, I know she's not out having all-nighters, but she sees a lot of people at work (day care center), so she sees the single fathers and there are several young guys, usually in or about to start college, that work there and they change regularly.

While she claims to love me more than anything, she spends a good bit of time telling me about how everybody is smarter, makes more money, etc., etc.

In the last year or so, every time we come home from work, she insists on immediately taking a shower and we have been getting quite a few hang-up calls.

My wife doesn't drink (with the one exception that I'm aware of), smoke or do drugs, so no addictions, but when she gets going sexually, she gets going.  She's very attractive and she has a personality that charms everybody who meets her. 

So, with her lying to her then-boyfriend, her quick jump to the new boyfriend while we were apart, her willingness to quickly engage in sexual relations with me and her other boyfriends, lying about what she said and now finding out that sex with other men as a "coping mechanism" (for lack of a better term) is not uncommon with BPDs, does she seem like she would be more prone to cheating?

I know it's just as likely that she's never strayed, and I hope that's case, but I want to get some opinions from those who have been through this as to whether her behavior rings any bells or matches behaviors seen when others have been caught cheating. 

She's pregnant now and, as irritating as she can be to deal with, I do love her and I'm figuring out how to "tame the beast" so to speak (although she hasn't had a big blow-up since I connected the possible NPD/BPD), so I'm going to be with her for at least the next couple of years.

I certainly don't need any more problems to worry about, I just want an outside opinion on where this needs to go on the list of priorities.

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

JMS

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 03:47:50 PM »

I have to add, if it wasn't for the suspicion of the NPD/BPD, I wouldn't even question whether my wife has or could cheat.

I feel like crap even thinking about it, but, just like with her sniping and other things, I'm realize now that I'm not dealing with a normal person.

I'm not going to let myself get consumed with worrying about this, but I need to understand what I'm dealing with so that I know what to expect and how to deal with it.

I want to believe that when I woke up this morning and my wife was in a happy cheery mood and told me how much she loves me, "she" is really in there and really meant it and that the other "evil her" is just somebody else that we have to live with and I have to deal with as effectively as possible.

Finding out about NPD/BPD, reading so many people's descriptions of their wives/husbands and being able to say "That's her", in a way has been lifting a huge weight off of my shoulders, just being able to finally explain why she's been so mean, so moody, everything.

At the same time, considering some of the potential consequences of this that I now have to consider just hurts.

And the thought that I may have to learn about this, learn how to cope with it and learn how to live with, but never be able to tell her about it just hurts like hell.

I don't know how much of it's the result of being with her and how much is my genuine love for her, but I feel like s**t having to do this behind my wife's back - If she's actually got NPD/BPD, I don't care so much about that.  I can deal with it, one way or another (treatment, putting up with it or leaving).

What I do feel bad about is that possibility that I could be falsely accusing my wife of something this serious.  I am pretty certain I'm not wrong, but the question is still there.

The best case would be that I can get her into therapy, find out exactly what's going on and get her to understand it.

All the other cases, I  risk shooting myself in the foot.

Thanks for listening
bruceli

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 06:24:25 PM »

The propensity is high.  They use it to cope, fill a void and self medicate.  Search the web for sites that are for people with pd's and they all answer this question in vivid detail.
Iwilldecide

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 09:04:15 PM »

I know exactly what you mean jms. This board has helped me so much in dealing with the black and white thinking, jade Ing etc. However it also brings up a lot of insecurities with my relationship. Knowing how the majority of these people love to triangulate is scary. My  uBPDbf also likes to jump from one relationship to the next and there is always always overlap. There is a website called www.reignitethefire.net

I don't know if everyone on these boards would agree with his approach but I like it and as a woman I think his approach is pretty good. It makes sense to me. I know that even if my bf did cheat on me I w
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest