Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 22, 2024, 06:03:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How does Christianity play into how to deal with BPD?  (Read 1067 times)
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2014; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2014, 10:52:18 PM »

It is ironic that I saw your title here, because today, I saw a movie entitled "God's Not Dead". While I am not a Christian, all the ideas were quite good. One of many lines that got to me that can be applied to you and to all of us is the following. While I am paraphrasing, you'll get the idea. "We do not get our worth from someone else. We get our worth from ourselves". Of course, this is applicable to the Christian faith and to anyone else.

That is good, Samuel S. My Christian T would say God defines our worth, but you are right. pwBPD define themselves by their attachments which is unhealthy. Some of us nons may have also fallen into this same trap, though not to the same extent. Mine even wrote in her journal describing herself by her attachments, or roles. I define myself by my core values.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
gotbushels

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 12:56:53 AM »

... .

That is good, Samuel S. My Christian T would say God defines our worth, but you are right. pwBPD define themselves by their attachments which is unhealthy. Some of us nons may have also fallen into this same trap, though not to the same extent. Mine even wrote in her journal describing herself by her attachments, or roles. I define myself by my core values.

Haha Turkish, I find myself seriously relating to you, but in a funny riposte of events, you're on SO-leaving 

One of the things I realised years ago was I define myself by attachment to some extent, though I didn't see it as a problem until I got involved with a BP and saw codependency. This relationship is really teaching me to be independent, even curiously enough, given my gf's extreme attachment issues.

... .

"You abandoned me, it felt just like my father!"

After years of her warning me to not cheat on her. I think her father's uncovered affair (one of many over the years) was a huge trigger in her mirroring his behavior, though we never got a chance to discuss this. She did admit, in her one weekend of lucidity, of becoming like her father and hating herself for it. There is some truth to what she said.

... .

Some interesting things I see in my relationship:

My uBPDgf warns me and goes to extremes to act on her "warning me to not cheat on her."

Her father had an affair that only she knew about for years (not sure anymore as I'm discovering there's been a repeated, major lying issue in my relationship).

From what I understand, her father uses extreme solutions, no discussion, "my way or the high way", and used to beat his wife. All of that under the guise of "that's the man's job". In one fight, before I knew about BPD, I accused her of being exactly like her father. I realised many times before I learned about "projection" that she projected that I was exactly like my dad (who she hates because he refers to her as 'that woman' and treats her relationship with me as 'my option'. I took a shot in the dark and yes, I think she is really like her dad, and I don't want to marry that.

Has your BP gone through treatment? Given the parallels of our situations, I'm looking at the chances of my uBPDgf relapsing, should I choose to go through treatment.

Thank you for sharing. Those 6 years must have been really tough. I'm thankful you have your values. They have saved me countless times against her attacks and I expect that do the same for you.

My uBPDgf seems to be courting a fallback lover already because of a horoscope she read saying "[this month you will find someone you can have a long term relationship with]". It doesn't help that same bloody horoscope said "[you will come across life-changing realisations this month]" after I had a breakthrough conversation with her about her contribution to her past relationships failing.

I feel somewhat ready but I think I will really need to brace for impact of an affair. She broke it off with me, yet again, and she uses "we're not together" as an excuse to do whatever she wants.

It doesn't help that she gets lots of attention from men (she looks like the girl next door), gets chatted up by someone new every 2 weeks on average (her job is similar to a bartender, but meeting many people from many places, for extended periods of time), and substantially acts like she enjoys it (even though she denies it).   It's just so easy for her to get attention elsewhere when I don't want, or cannot, give it. To reciprocate attention, open oneself to attention, 'do nothing' as an excuse to get attention, and deny it all is something I don't want in a wife. I haven't told her, but yes, I'm seriously reconsidering marriage. She can go "do better" with someone else if she wants to continue like this.

I can see that you're 10 years older than her. I'm 4 years older than mine. I wonder sometimes if things would be better if I worked better hours and was richer, settled, and had significantly paid off a mortgage. Seeing as you're telling me you have that 10 years ahead of her and your BP still sounds really unpleasant, thank you for sharing this as well.

In our cases, we can't count on reason and gratitude shaping our BPs, I respectfully don't think. We can count on greed, childishness, and just 'crazy' BP behaviour, regardless of circumstances. My respect to you for staying with yours for so long. That is admirable.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2014; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 11:18:03 AM »

gotbushels: I responed to your last post in a new thread I started here:

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=222960.msg12415713#msg12415713

Further response from me would constitute a thread hijack 

Turkish

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 07:15:05 PM »

Thanks for all the responses to this thread. 

My faith does give me strength do deal with this.  However... I certainly have questions about how this all works

As in... "What is the plan here"... when I'm talking to God.

Because it's almost like I have two relationships... one with the wife that is somewhat normal.  And another when dysregulation comes around.

Normally you would talking about confronting someone in love, forgiveness, healing... . etc etc... . but when what has been done is denied... . and I am falsely accused of everything under the sun... . and hard physical evidence doesn't matter... . it leaves me scratching my head and wondering... .

GopherAgent

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2014, 06:35:45 PM »

formflier... .

I can identify with you when you say that you have two wives or two relationships. I know that I have two wives too. Just like you... . there is the "normal" one and the dis-regulated one.

Unfortunately, the dis-regulate one is more engaged and animated and involved in life than the "normal" one it seems like.

I remember during her rages she would say something like this... . "I'm the kind of woman who will give my man everything I've got if he just loves me and treats me like a queen. I have more love in me than any man can handle!"

Well, several times I just tried my best for weeks to give her all the praise and attentions she said she needed and wanted... . bought the flowers... . made special dinners... . extra compliments... . cards... . more calls... . and guess what? She never even noticed or reciprocated. And then, she'd become dis-regulated and she'd say that the stuff I did was "NOTHING" to her.

This attitude that she speaks of about giving her man "everything"... . so much so that "he couldn't handle it"... . was a smoke screen... . a fantasy she has concocted keep control over me and the situation so she doesn't have to deal with her un-reality, if you will.

What did I get in return when she was "normal"? A lifeless, uninvolved woman who didn't appreciate or even see the "special" attention that I was giving to her. The "normal" woman was less involved... . less active than the angry one. Hmmmm?

Now, I see it for what it is. I can't please her no matter how hard I try. I see that the fantasy and chivalry she expects from me is something she creates to make sure I can never measure up to her expectations and that I will always let her down because of the lofty and unrealistic expectations that make her think that way.

She wants that Knight-in-Shining-Armor but looks at the man she is with and knows he's not the fantasy she dreams of every night. And then, she's not afraid to voice that opinion and blast me out of the water with it as well.

How lovely... . uh?

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2014, 04:02:44 AM »

Gopher,

I can identify.  Some of my worst times with my wife have come when I brought flowers or did "nice"  extra things.  I'm guessing that triggered some internal conflict of her view of me and the reality and it spilled out at dysregulation.

In other words... . a cheater that hates me does't bring me flowers, rub my shoulders, bring me something to eat... etc etc... .   unless it's all a smoke screen to hide even more women and relationships... . where are they?  And off we go...

One of my other frustrations is that many times when I do nice extra things they are dismissed because she "made" me do it.  "Those flowers don't count because I "made" you bring them... you didn't want to"... and boom... . I get no credit for things I actually did.  And then I do get credit for things I didn't actually do... . chase after whores and all that...

Hmmm... .

dealingwithit

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2014, 02:16:34 AM »

Wow. My husband and I are heavily involved in ministry. He has actually improved over the years due to our faith. He had lots of outbursts when we were first married. Occasionally, he will split and call me names. My boundaries are very clear. I do not engage and will remove myself from the situation (thanks to this group). I don't wallow in self-pity anymore, but it is lonely at times. There are a few people who know about it and his abusive childhood, but people do not really understand, nor do I feel they have to. I know God does and that is enough for me. Love and forgiveness are key. My pastors have known him for a long time and know he is quirky, but they love and accept him unconditionally which is awesome.
hurthusband

Relationship status: Married (3 years) Together (11 years)

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2014, 09:50:20 AM »

I am in the opposite boat.

I am religious.  I love God deeply, but my wife hates all religion.  She thinks its all a scam.  It irritates here for somebody to talk religion.  I do not say anything about my beliefs anymore around her.  It starts a fight.  She will talk badly about people and religion all the time too.  It does not help that you have people coming up spouting hate about others then in same breath talk about the love of Jesus.  It makes the rest of us believers look like morons.

I wish my wife did believe in God.  Give her some hope or something to lean on.  She has none now.  Hates life and anyone who enjoys it out of jealousy. 

The hard part is all of this is a giant stress on my faith.  God says He will not put more on our shoulders than we can handle, but I know I am about to mentally lose it.  The stress of living with a BPD is just too much.  At same time, seeing the pain in somebody you love so dearly with BPD... how can that be allowed to happen?

I found myself a couple of months ago looking to see if there is any possibility suicide was ok in the Bible just to take that obstacle out of my way in moving forward possibly with that option.

I can see how somebody with BPD who believes in God then is a hipocrit.  They just do not let go of things.  Their anger and rage... forgiveness is not easy for them.  They feel inferior so they put others down.  Everything that is hipocritical.  That has to be frustrating.  I think though that it has to help alleviate some of their pain.  At least they have faith in God. 
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2014, 07:31:49 PM »

Thank you for this post!  While I certainly hope for a full cure... . my hope is that I can get to a stable situation.  It seems you have found that.

I was looking for a way to describe my emotions over the past few months as I have been "detaching in love" to get some perspective.   Lonely hits things on the head exactly.

I didn't sleep to well last night... . and just didn't have good morning.  Didn't really have anything to do with BPD today... . but when I asked my uBPDw if she would mind snuggling for a while... . somehow that set her off... .   So yes... . I was really just looking for some comfort and then to get on with my day by going to work. 

What happened is that she grumped and stomped around a bit... . and then ended up laying very close to me but refused to touch me... . not sure if that was taunting or what.  Anyway... . got myself off to work and did OK today.  But... . man... . it was lonely dealing with the morning by myself.

I'm still working on clarifying boundaries... . and she is definitely still getting used to dealing with them.

Again... thanks for this post... .

Wow. My husband and I are heavily involved in ministry. He has actually improved over the years due to our faith. He had lots of outbursts when we were first married. Occasionally, he will split and call me names. My boundaries are very clear. I do not engage and will remove myself from the situation (thanks to this group). I don't wallow in self-pity anymore, but it is lonely at times. There are a few people who know about it and his abusive childhood, but people do not really understand, nor do I feel they have to. I know God does and that is enough for me. Love and forgiveness are key. My pastors have known him for a long time and know he is quirky, but they love and accept him unconditionally which is awesome.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2014, 07:52:43 PM »

Wow. My husband and I are heavily involved in ministry. He has actually improved over the years due to our faith. He had lots of outbursts when we were first married.   

Hey... . can you share if you saw any of this before you were married? 

Now that I know what to look for I may have seen hints in the first 15 years... . but it came on the seen several years back and doesn't show any signs of leaving.

A big natural disaster was a big stressor... . that is when the accusations started.  I did bad for a while and figured I would just explain things... . and that made it worse.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest