Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 06:04:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Curiosity killed the cat...  (Read 797 times)
willy45
Formerly "johnnyorganic", "rjh45", "SurferDude"

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: April 22, 2014, 10:02:51 PM »

Ok... . So, I got an email response from my ex and my request that she no longer contact me. I did it more for me than for her. To redraw the boundary in my own mind. Was pleasantly surprised she did not respond. But then I got an email back. I know... . I should have deleted... . but curiosity got the best of me.  I didn't think I was asking a question here. Is this crazy? Here is how it went down:

My email to her:

Dear uBPDxgf,

I really appreciate your offer of friendship and I'm flattered. I understand that having friends is a really great thing and I hope you have many great and fulfilling friendships. I know that it isn't your intention to hurt me when you contact me but that is the result. I have been in an incredible amount of pain since we spoke and it really isn't healthy for me. I hope you understand. The greatest show of friendship from you would be to stop contacting me. I know you aren't trying to hurt me intentionally but being continually contacted is affecting my health and wellbeing. A great act of friendship would be to no longer contact me, including a response to this email. That would mean a lot to me. I wish you all the best things and continued success.

All my best,

Willy45

Her Email (which I just got today):

Hi Willy45,

I got your email and I understand. But, after a lot of thought -- the answer is no -- I'm not going to stop being in contact. Life is too short to live with regret, and I would deeply regret not having you in my life in some form. I don't discount that it would be hard for us, but that doesn't make it not worth trying. I'm sorry you've been struggling. I know that eventually things will heal and I am confident that there will be a time when we are able to talk and laugh again. I hope that you have a lovely Easter today and are taking good care.

Lots of love,

Emelie Emelie

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »

Yep.
GuiltHaunted

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 10:15:57 PM »

That is harassment. Don't delete it. You might need evidence later on.

Doesn't this level of craziness make you detach somewhat? Does it make you angry? Or what do you feel?
fromheeltoheal

Relationship status: Broken up, I left her

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:24:05 PM »

To be blunt, you brought it on yourself.  You know that.  Asking someone not to contact you by contacting them is counterproductive.  You will eventually take control of your life or you won't, but you are the only one who can.  Ignore, delete, don't read, don't reply, change phone numbers, block texts, whatever, it's not complicated.  How bad do you want it?
AwakenedOne

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:30:43 PM »

That is harassment. Don't delete it. You might need evidence later on

Yes Willy save it in case. In my opinion it is good you read it so now you know what to expect and how to best watch your back and who she really is -> a sick person, sadistic also?
willy45

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 10:34:27 PM »

Yeah. I'm keeping this one for sure.

Yes. I agree that not responding is the best tactic. But, as I said, I needed to redraw the line for myself. I had done this before and basically sent a similar email in the past. I answered one of her text a few weeks ago after months and ignoring and deleting. And I was worried that I had re-opened the floodgates (which I did). This was my bad for sure. I should not have not responded to the text. The email I sent was not for her. But for me. So I could be very clear in my mind again that the boundary was drawn.

What surprised me is not that she emailed back. Of course she would. Any normal human would. I think a human with some kind of empathetic capacity would say: I'm so sorry. I won't do it again. My apologies for upsetting you. I will not contact you again.

What is freaky about this is that is nowhere in the email. 'Sorry you are struggling'. Really? I don't think she's sorry at all. I think she is thrilled. I think she actually likes hurting me. And 'the answer is -no-' What the heck. FOR REALS? I don't think there was a question in there.

And yes. New phone number is for sure now in order. I guess I thought this email might have done the trick. So, the only thing I need to worry about is email (GMAIL doesn't auto delete anything) so I will need to stay on guard for that. Hopefully she just texts me and then won't get a response and will continue down that path.

How badly do I want out? I have no idea. Honestly, I feel broken down and beat up and lost. I don't really care anymore. This has been going on way too long. It just sucks because we all have up days and down days. And every few months, she catches me on a low and I give in. That is ___ty. What I need to do is rid myself of any way she can contact me. That way I don't have to worry all the time if I hit a low period that she will catch me on it.
fromheeltoheal

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 10:53:40 PM »

I really appreciate your offer of friendship and I'm flattered. I understand that having friends is a really great thing and I hope you have many great and fulfilling friendships. I know that it isn't your intention to hurt me when you contact me but that is the result. I have been in an incredible amount of pain since we spoke and it really isn't healthy for me. I hope you understand. The greatest show of friendship from you would be to stop contacting me. I know you aren't trying to hurt me intentionally but being continually contacted is affecting my health and wellbeing. A great act of friendship would be to no longer contact me, including a response to this email. That would mean a lot to me. I wish you all the best things and continued success.

You tell us that you think she likes hurting you, yet you told her I know that it isn't your intention to hurt me.  Which one is it, or did you lie to her?  In any case, your email reads like you wanted a response, along with validation and acceptance of responsibility by her.  That's not detachment.  :)etached would be she sends you an email and you have zero emotional response to it.  Still work to do, and disappearing entirely is the best tack right now.  You know this.

BTW, you can always delete your gmail email address and start a new one, and tell all the folks you want to keep in touch with what it is.  Are you willing to go to any lengths to detach?
willy45

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 11:47:16 PM »

Yeah. I told her that I thought she wasn't doing it intentionally because I didn't want to set her off. Yes. It was a lie. I just wanted to explain that contact hurts me and thought that might work. Any normal human being would see that and feel bad and agree. And yes, I do think she likes to hear that and I'm thinking telling her that it hurt me was probably a huge mistake. It is just so hard to actually believe this about someone. But, this email is kind of confirmation that she doesn't give a ___.

And no. I'm clearly not detached. I get that. People on this board have been telling me a million times over. I'M NOT DETACHED! I get it. But I'm not going to beat myself about it. It is obvious. I'm doing everything I can to do that.

How does my email invite a response? I told her directly to not respond. And anyways, the fact that she responded is not the point. The content of the response is what is freaking me out. This isn't a normal response.

And no. I can't change my email address. I would if I could. But I can't. I have a university address and they can't change it as it is part of the system identifier thing they have. I've asked.

So, if I change my number, the only way she can get to me is through email. And I just have to expect little steaming piles of horse___ in there forever until they invent some better way to communicate than email.
fromheeltoheal

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 12:24:29 AM »

How does my email invite a response?

The descriptions of your emotional pain when she contacts you tells a borderline that she still has you emotionally, that there is still an attachment, the core of the disorder.  The best thing you can do is act bored and unemotional and she will just go away, in search of other attachments.  You didn't do that.  You're trying to apply rational thought to the irrational, expecting her to be someone she isn't capable of being.

Whatever it takes man, we'll still be here.  You can also set a rule in Outlook to route her emails directly to the trash and empty it every day without looking what's in it, but you well need discipline over that curiosity.  Take care of you!
willy45

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 12:39:51 AM »

Yes and yes.

I keep trying to apply normal rational logic to the situation. My ex isn't diagnosed. So, maybe that is why I can't just say to myself... . WILLY... . THIS IS WHAT THIS IS! I'm having a really hard time with accepting that. Maybe this email is good for me because it really is the clearest cut case that I have that this is what is happening. There isn't any other explanation.

The obvious issue here is that I haven't learned that I am not dealing with a normal human being. And you are right. Any show of emotions is something they can latch on to and 'work with'. She doesn't give a ___ about me at all.
goldylamont

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 04:36:28 AM »

Yes and yes.

I keep trying to apply normal rational logic to the situation. My ex isn't diagnosed. So, maybe that is why I can't just say to myself... . WILLY... . THIS IS WHAT THIS IS! I'm having a really hard time with accepting that. Maybe this email is good for me because it really is the clearest cut case that I have that this is what is happening. There isn't any other explanation.

The obvious issue here is that I haven't learned that I am not dealing with a normal human being. And you are right. Any show of emotions is something they can latch on to and 'work with'. She doesn't give a ___ about me at all.

i was going to post that i completely agreed with fromheeltoheal on this one. this last post though shows willy45 that you are aware of your motives of sending that last email, which is good work. the harsh reality is that if we aren't convinced that this person is fully disordered then we might foolishly treat them as if they aren't. sometimes we need to see the truth several times before it really sinks in. i say chalk it up as one more learning experience and as one more way to give you strength if you ever start doubting your convictions again.

radical acceptance is a b*&h, aint it   
Narellan

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 05:11:17 AM »

Ahhh Willy ! Why did u read it ? Probably for the same reason I hacked into my Ex BPD FB Laugh out loud (click to insert in post). But you're 2 years out ? And still dancing to her tune. I was / am going to post a thread on here about the word " sorry" I was thinking about it today. When we had the first split my ex BPD came back and I told him how much he'd hurt me. I expected a sorry cos it was do out of the blue and for no reason. Instead he replied " we hurt each other" at the time I had no idea what disorder he had do I left it. It sticks in my mind now. Recently just prior to our last and final split we were discussing New Year's Eve and how he ditched me after wed just made love to go home and smoke dope at 7 pm. I thought he was staying the night. I never got any explanation or apology but when we discussed it again just few weeks back he said " I made a mistake" that's the only time I can ever remember him taking any sort of responsibility for anything. But that's as close to a sorry that I ever got. I guess he wasn't ever sorry.
GuiltHaunted

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 07:01:33 AM »

Willy45, during period where I still had contact with my ex (3 months after the breakup), I outed her on who her new bf was (her sisters ex!). She tried to keep it secret from me, despite initiating with him the last weeks we were together. I didn't out in an angry way, but not to have her secret in the way of open communication. Her response was: "I don't want to have any contact with you anymore". I wrote her a long email afterwards, explaining what I just did to you, my feelings for her, that I wasn't judging new relationship and wished she would be happy with her decision (lie yes). AND that I was glad that she made the decision not have contact anymore as it as it wasn't productive for either of us. Guess what, a month and half later. She wrote me again (that a letter had arrived for me, which turned out to be an advertisement from some hotel where I once stayed).

The button line is, a sane person would respect the request for NC. BPD or not, this is not a person that respects you. What stopped the contact between my an my ex (otherwise she would with all probability still have sent me small greetings now and then), was me telling her off. Instead of living in fear, that she will contact you again, I propose that you draw the line once and for all. Be MEAN to her (which she accuses you of being anyway), hurt her, abandon her etc. to the point that she splits you into a black hole. In the last conversation with my ex, I told her that "she went behind my back and found someone else, in a time of my life when I needed her the most. That I didn't want to hear from her in a month, not in 6 months, not in a year, not in 5 year, not in 10 years and not in 20 years."

I didn't hear from her for 4 months now, and I don't think she will contact me ever again, because my rejection was very clear. In your case I would consider doing the same. I would call her and tell her it was not a request and to stay the ___ away from you, that you have all her mail and will report her for harassment if she doesn't.

But the question is if this is really what you want? In my case it's NOT what I really wanted. Rather I would love to have contact with her. At best every day, and at best from when waking up and seeing her lie next to me. Do you really want this woman gone from your life? What would the situation be if she was single?
fromheeltoheal

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 07:49:11 AM »

Hey willy, I just looked at the rule options in Outlook, and you can set a rule to permanently delete an email when it arrives, so you would never even know you got one from her.  How bad do you want it?  No more excuses, getting rid of all her channels of communication is easy, time to look at the benefit you get from this ongoing interaction, which is why you keep doing it, kind of like the way heroin addicts think about heroin all the time; obsess about the perfect buzz, ignoring the reality that that choice can't give it to you, and never could.
willy45

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 09:12:21 AM »

Can I get a reality check here... .

This is messed up, yes?
willy45

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 09:31:20 AM »

And thanks so much for looking into Outlook for me. I will see what it takes to switch it over. Thanks!
fromheeltoheal

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 09:47:11 AM »

Can I get a reality check here... .

This is messed up, yes?

Yes, it is messed up, and also optional and in your control.  You are also getting a benefit from posting your woes here, which is one thing this site if for, although it's been a long time and maybe it's time to move beyond that piece?
winston72
Retired Staff

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 02:49:09 PM »

Willy, it is obvious from her response that she does not listen to you and has very little empathy for you.  This certainly is not a surprise to you given your history.  It is consistent with her behavior throughout your relationship. 

You have the ability to move forward with your life and to withdraw from her.  You are not controlled by her attempts to contact you.  At all.  It might be annoying, but it does not determine whether or not you relate to her. 

As FromHeeltoHeal wrote, contacting someone to tell them not to contact you is counter-productive.  And it invites a response!  So... . if you do not want a response, do not contact her.

It is hard, hard, hard, but your life is in your hands, not hers. 

willy45

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 02:56:23 PM »

Yeah. Agreed. I was expecting a response. Just not this one. I'm scared now but it mostly has to do with how I react to it. That is what is scary to me.
blissful_camper

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 06:22:54 PM »

I see a bit of minimizing at your end (to her) what you experienced.  I did this during the r/s because I was afraid of the repercussions if I really said what I thought about his behavior.  I was seeking validation that he was hurting me, and in expressing that I essentially sugar coated it thinking he would hear it and actually get it.  He didn't hear it.  He didn't get it. 

This summer will be my 1 year anniversary out of the relationship and I can say that I've reached acceptance about who he is and the person I was involved with.  There's no question in my mind about what I experienced anymore. 

Have you reached that place yet?  I know it's hard to let go, but it's imperative to fully embrace what happened, what you experienced, and honor that for yourself.   
winston72
Retired Staff

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 07:56:22 PM »

Hey BlissfulCamper... . your post is concise and clear.  Thank you.  It describes a process that took me a couple of years to complete.  Really I should say it describes an ongoing process for me.  See things for what they were, be honest about how it all affected me... . and accept it!  Face the facts, as this site is titled.  Do the five steps as are listed on the side of this page. So basic, so direct... . so darned hard to get to!  I am chuckling at myself.  Such confusion from her, such denial, magical thinking, minimizing from me... . so much fear, confusion, wishfulness in me.

Good to be trying to live life with more emotional and intellectual clarity and simplicity.

fromheeltoheal

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 08:19:45 PM »

Yep, I'm with you BC and winston.  With the combination of chasing my own hopes and dreams in the face of something that just didn't measure up, self-delusion and denial, ignoring of gut feel, distortion and minimization of abuse, yadda, yadda, I really created a fantasyland to live in for a while, and it wasn't until I left, the emotions cooled, I weathered the shock of the realization of what I really went through, that I finally accepted her and it for that she and it really were.  It was what it was, it is what it is, acceptance, lessons learned, mark my words it won't happen again.
Emelie Emelie

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 09:46:09 PM »

Interesting point Blissful - After the first break up I was always trying to get him to understand what he "did to me".  How absolutely shattered I felt.  I sugar coated it too... . but I think I did to keep the lines of communication open... . to not let go. 

This time I didn't sugar coat anything.  Aware enough to realize he's not capable of really empathizing with how I feel.  Angry enough to tell him just how much his behavior hurts people.  Severed the lines of communication. 
Vindikat

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 10:54:36 PM »

Hello,

This is my first reply post so I'm a tad nervous so please bear with with me.

I have to admit the first thing I did when I read her response to your really great in a nutshell email to her was... . burst into laughter! Most certainly not funny ha ha, but WOW! I've heard that before... No way you too?

I'm getting to the no contact stage and it's hard and of course we want to know what they say - There's that glimmer of hope that they may realize what they have done... . but reality sets in and here we are.

I know we all have the strength to somehow pull ourselves out and we will hit that bump in the road, but we will get up, shake it off and get to a better place.

Will be sending good thoughts your way and take care and... . back away from her emails!

Be well... .
willy45

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 11:43:27 PM »

Hey Vindikat,

Thank you so much for your reply. That really means a lot to me. I'm glad you burst into laughter. That was honestly my first reaction as well. And then I sunk into another depression and started beating myself up all over again. Like, how did I fall for this AGAIN. And why can't I just get this person out of my mind. I'm having such a hard time with this.

Was her response really as crazy as I think it is? I can't imagine that I would do anything like this if someone asked me the same thing. I remember one woman who broke up with me and after 2 months of slight communication, I mailed her a letter and told her that I couldn't talk to her anymore and I never heard from her again. It took me a while to get over it (maybe a year or so to be fully recovered) but she never contacted me again and I never contacted her (except for one or two emails about 7 years later to congratulate her on her baby... . a friend told me... . and I really meant it. I was really happy for her).

I'm just going back and forth on whether I think this is stalking and her just telling me that she doesn't care about how I feel and wants to keep pushing no matter what I say or feel, or if she is just truly over me and wants to be 'friends'. I just don't get it. I don't get why I feel this way. I feel like absolute ___. I'm really scared of this person and I'm mostly scared of myself right now. I don't understand why I feel the way I do. Everyone around me says that this email should be validation that she doesn't care about me and is totally crazy. But, I guess there is still a part of me that believes her. It is so weird. I hate it. I can't believe I'm back in this place again. I hope I learned my lesson this time.

Anyways, thanks for posting. It means a lot to me.
blissful_camper

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 11:57:25 PM »

I fought acceptance big time.  It's rough when you reach it, but it's liberating too.  Kind of bittersweet at first but as it settles in for me, there's a sense of renewed optimism.  Sometimes I still feel like the old unsteady me, but then the new empowered me steps in and moves me forward.  I'm believing in myself again one step at a time, and positive thoughts are replacing the self-criticizing ones.  I've grown from this experience.  As painful as the r/s was and as much as I wish I didn't experience it, it's a good thing that I did.  That relationship changed me in ways that needed changing, work I should have done a long time ago.  I neglected me.  Now it's time to nurture me.  
blissful_camper

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 12:12:38 AM »

Everyone around me says that this email should be validation that she doesn't care about me and is totally crazy. But, I guess there is still a part of me that believes her. It is so weird. I hate it. I can't believe I'm back in this place again. I hope I learned my lesson this time.

Everyone works through this at their own pace.  There's stuff to learn in these experiences.  I really feel for you Willy. 

I guess the question I asked myself is how many times did I want to continue sticking my hand over a flame that I knew, deep down, would burn me? 

AwakenedOne

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 12:16:15 AM »

I'm just going back and forth on whether I think this is stalking and her just telling me that she doesn't care about how I feel and wants to keep pushing no matter what I say or feel, or if she is just truly over me and wants to be 'friends'.

Willy, friends show respect for each other among other things. When she says no to your rights is that respecting you? Have the boobs hypnotized you?

The key thing is she has a toxic affect on you which makes you feel terrible.

GreenMango
Retired Staff

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 03:41:09 AM »

Willy

This isn't stalking.  It's garden variety refusal to respect boundaries.  There are people in the world out there like this. 

It's each adult's responsibility to maintain their boundaries and to be be cognizant of this.  Some people will take as much as you allow.  Does it make them a stalker?... . not always it does make them a boundary buster and the other person who allows it someone with what they call porous boundaries.

Part of detachment is doing an assessment of the relationship both her and your own mistakes.  Having poor boundaries is a great way to have a dysfunctional relationship.  Sometimes people have poor boundaries because the are more afraid of losing the relationship than having one with harmony, some people are raised in environments where they were not allowed to have boundaries or they were constantly violated, some people struggle with boundaries because they don't know what a boundary is... . your lack of boundaries with her might indicate an area which addressing and developing will help you detach, mature and ultimately become a more fulfilled person from.

There's no point in trying to change her... . change you.  Take control of your own life... . the rest usually follows.

If boundaries were difficult for you have you given some thought to how you might address this now?

willy45

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 08:13:35 AM »

Hi GreenMango,

Thanks. Yeah. I guess the stalking thing is a bit over the top in terms of a description. It just freaks me out that she doesn't seem to care at all about my thoughts and needs.

And yes. I think the thing I am most afraid of is my inability to have good boundaries around this person. She doesn't seem to care at all about them and I should not give her to power to be able to disrespect them. The point is I have not gotten it into my brain and my heart that this person is toxic for me, that she was abusive to me, and that I deserve better. I really struggle for some reason with the term 'abuse' because it just feels like I am making it up in my head to justify leaving her and to justify the way I feel right now. I'm working with my T. on this now. He tells me that my thinking is really distorted if I can't see the way she behaved towards me as abuse. That is the part I'm struggling with the most. It just seems unbelievable to me that someone would do this and continue to do this. And it is unbelievable to me that I haven't learned my lesson. Makes me feel like there is something deeply wrong with me.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest