Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 04:24:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Beware of Junk Psychology... Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's true. Not all blogs and online "life coaches" are reliable, accurate, or healthy for you. Remember, there is no oversight, no competency testing, no registration, and no accountability for many sites - it is up to you to qualify the resource. Learn how to navigate this complicated arena...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DSM V: identity  (Read 352 times)
ciel

« on: October 18, 2014, 12:51:06 PM »

The thread on empathy got me thinking about another DSM-V criteria for personality disorders: identity.  I think this might have been a critical stumbling block for some of us who aren't personality disordered, but who ended up intimately intwined with those who are.

Excerpt
Identity

0—Little or No Impairment

Has ongoing awareness of a unique self; maintains role-appropriate boundaries.

Has consistent and self- regulated positive self- esteem, with accurate self-appraisal.

Is capable of experiencing, tolerating, and regulating a full range of emotions.

1—Some Impairment

Has relatively intact sense of self, with some decrease in clarity of boundaries when strong emotions and mental distress are experienced.

Self-esteem diminished at times, with overly critical or somewhat distorted self- appraisal.

Strong emotions may be distressing, associated with a restriction in range of emotional experience.

2—Moderate Impairment

Depends excessively on others for identity definition, with compromised boundary delineation.

Has vulnerable self-esteem controlled by exaggerated concern about external evaluation, with a wish for approval. Has sense of incompleteness or inferiority, with compensatory inflated, or deflated, self-appraisal.

Emotional regulation depends on positive external appraisal. Threats to self- esteem may engender strong emotions such as rage or shame.

3—Severe Impairment

Has a weak sense of autonomy/agency; experience of a lack of identity, or emptiness. Boundary definition is poor or rigid: may be overidentification with others, overemphasis on independence from others, or vacillation between these.

Fragile self-esteem is easily influenced by events, and self-image lacks coherence. Self-appraisal is un-nuanced: self- loathing, self- aggrandizing, or an illogical, unrealistic combination.

Emotions may be rapidly shifting or a chronic, unwavering feeling of despair.

4—Extreme Impairment

Experience of a unique self and sense of agency/ autonomy are virtually absent, or are organized around perceived external persecution. Boundaries with others are confused or lacking.

Has weak or distorted self- image easily threatened by interactions with others; significant distortions and confusion around self- appraisal.

Emotions not congruent with context or internal experience. Hatred and aggression may be dominant affects, although they may be disavowed and attributed to others.

I know that when I first got involved with my uBPDh, I was about a 2.  Working with him (I agreed to be his "assistant" shortly after we began dating) brought me down to a 3, as did living together... .I've been clawing my way back ever since.  Still, there are some days I'm a 1 and some blissful moments I slip back up to 0, I think.  "Full range of emotion" = allowing myself to be angry and sad, to cry!  Why is that so hard? 

I define myself as a mother now, though... .that's different from identifying myself with my child?  This is definitely something I need to focus on, along with those darn boundaries! 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest