Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 10:32:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Beware of Junk Psychology... Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's true. Not all blogs and online "life coaches" are reliable, accurate, or healthy for you. Remember, there is no oversight, no competency testing, no registration, and no accountability for many sites - it is up to you to qualify the resource. Learn how to navigate this complicated arena...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Good Riddance" Letter keeps mutating into "I Miss You" letter  (Read 401 times)
divinehammer

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: November 15, 2014, 01:27:28 PM »

When my gf broke up with me for the nth time on Sept 1, we exchanged emails. Hers was odd and business-like and never really explained anything. I sat on it for a week and wrote back something that essentially said, "I understand, it sounds like you're confused. I see you struggling with problems, but that is your journey. If you ever change your mind, you know where I'll be."

It was a completely neutered email. I tried then, as now, to write how I really felt about being screwed over. But I repressed the anger because I didn't want to ruin my chances, even though she'd hurt me. Of course, I never heard back after that Sept 1 email and I have no idea what she's doing now.

This week is the 1-year anniversary of us getting together. The memories of that honeymoon phase has been excruciating. My therapist has urged me to write that angry letter, but don't necessarily send it. So I have tried that for a week and it keeps mutating into me saying, "I don't know what happened, we were good together, I miss you", etc. But I know this was a serious waif who was in no way equipped to have a stable relationship for very long.

So yeah. Anyone else tried / failed / succeeded to write that letter that gets everything off your chest?
vortex of confusion

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 01:33:11 PM »

I've journaled, written letters, written poems, written blog posts and a whole host of different things trying to get it all out. For me, there is just so much that it never feels quite right. You could always do what many of us have done and write whatever comes to mind even if it includes the "I miss you" part and then post it here for feedback. Let people commiserate, ask questions, or offer words of wisdom. Maybe discussing it with others that have been where you are will help you to get those feelings out.
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 09:27:38 PM »

Vortex of Confusion makes a good point. Write whatever comes to mind even if it's not necessarily anger. Don't feel bad. How I wrote things out is here on the boards. I'm slowly dumping emotional baggage here on the site. Whenever I had an urge I just wrote here. I hope that helps.

If the one year anniversary has you triggered. Write those feelings down. I think what's important are true feelings. Don't force yourself if that's not how you feel. Anger and grieving is a stage on it's own. It comes and sometimes you cycle through it more than once.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
divinehammer

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 10:37:22 PM »

Thanks guys. I think if I posted what I've been writing, I might get torn to shreds for how obviously my pathetic / addictive mentality seems to be losing to the coping / moving-forward mentality.   It's a daily battle.
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 10:50:59 PM »

Thanks guys. I think if I posted what I've been writing, I might get torn to shreds for how obviously my pathetic / addictive mentality seems to be losing to the coping / moving-forward mentality.   It's a daily battle.

I'm sorry if it's difficult and I don't think it's pathetic. This is healing and it's daily yes. Don't beat yourself up.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
CareTaker

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 11:06:04 PM »

Excerpt
I might get torn to shreds for how obviously my pathetic / addictive mentality seems to be losing to the coping

Nothing pathetic about your situation. We all been there. Writing on this forum has changed me completely. It is a place where I can let myself go, and say how I feel. Daily I am also dumping baggage, to the point where I can actually start living again.

Keep fighting that addiction, it does get better. And keep in mind it never had anything to do with love.
divinehammer

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 11:25:45 PM »

Writing on this forum has changed me completely. It is a place where I can let myself go, and say how I feel. Daily I am also dumping baggage, to the point where I can actually start living again.

Keep fighting that addiction, it does get better.

Discovering this forum has definitely been a blessing.

Excerpt
And keep in mind it never had anything to do with love.

That's what I'm trying to understand. I realize real Love means extending yourself selfishly for the other person once in a while, and that is definitely nothing she ever demonstrated, or seemed capable of. I think she really liked my mind and my sense of humor and we were really attracted to each other. But yeah, it probably wasn't true love because I was basically her secretary and father, not equal.

It hurt in her final email, saying, "I don't know why I want to break up. Maybe I just fell out of love with you." I wanted to tell her, "You have never been in love, with me or anyone else. Adult love requires empathy and maturity." It just made me sad for her.

vortex of confusion

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 12:16:42 AM »

That's what I'm trying to understand. I realize real Love means extending yourself selfishly for the other person once in a while, and that is definitely nothing she ever demonstrated, or seemed capable of. I think she really liked my mind and my sense of humor and we were really attracted to each other. But yeah, it probably wasn't true love because I was basically her secretary and father, not equal.

It hurt in her final email, saying, "I don't know why I want to break up. Maybe I just fell out of love with you." I wanted to tell her, "You have never been in love, with me or anyone else. Adult love requires empathy and maturity." It just made me sad for her.

Love isn't the be all end all. A person can have loving feelings without loving actions and vice versa. In my opinion, love in a long term relationship is a choice that requires daily nurturing. And, like you say, it requires maturity and empathy. A person that is stuck in childhood rarely has either.

I don't think you are pathetic at all. You should read some of the stories that have been posted. Lots of people have gotten sucked into doing and feeling all sorts of things. I know exactly how you feel when you say that you felt more like a father and a secretary. I have felt like a mother and a secretary. When I tried to share with one of our friends, I was told, "He just needs you to take care of him." Um, but in a real relationship, wouldn't it stand that he would take care of me in return? Doesn't happen. It is all very one sided and that wears on a person. If you want pathetic, I am still living with my husband even though all sorts of crazy stuff has happened. I am trying to work on me and find the inner strength to find a way to leave. It isn't easy! Don't be afraid to share because nobody here is going to think that you are pathetic. We all have our demons. We have all made questionable choices.
Restored2

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 12:37:52 AM »

Hi divinehammer.  I wrote "the letter" and mailed it via xpresspost having her sign for it.  I just wanted to have peace of mind in knowing that she personally received it.  My letter was very heartfelt, straight forward in letting her know how her actions hurt me, and was supportive with unconditional love.  I am glad that I followed through in mailing it to her, despite not hearing back from her yet... . My chest does feel much lighter from it too.   
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest