Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 04:14:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More than just friends?  (Read 585 times)
Hadlee
formerly busygall

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 06:39:38 PM »

Hi Bruised  

Thank you for your reply Smiling (click to insert in post)

I understand what you mean and take full responsibility in my part of the story.  I didn't put any boundaries in place at all until it was too late and I was in over my head.  I saw her as a lonely child craving love and affection, which I gave her.  My heart broke some days seeing the sadness in her eyes.  I realise now that we had a co-dependant relationship as well.  Having her feel differently was the last thing on my mind... .she was in a relationship with a man after all!  I also realise now that her relationship started spiralling out of control once we became close

Looking back now, she probably does feel rejected.  I would always check in to make sure she was ok and pop by her desk regularly.  After an incident this time last year, I started pulling back more and more.  I knew I was in over my head Laugh out loud (click to insert in post).

I've gone over the conversation I would have with her in my head so many times, but I know she hates confrontation and has trouble with her emotions, so thought it best not to say anything.  And at that time my T told me about BPD.

I have felt that her seeing me in the flesh now is a trigger for her.  She is fine with messages, I guess that feels safe for her.  This has been a major struggle for me to see how she reacts.  It hurts badly.  But as my T once said, "you are hurting, but she is hurting much worse."  

bruised

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2014, 07:50:33 PM »

Hadlee,

It sounds like you've handled it pretty well. As I said, it's a very difficult situation and not one that most people have any experience with.

I understand what you mean about not wanting to say anything. I tried explaining to her a few times how her behaviour towards me screamed "crush". But eventually I realised that I was saying one thing and she was hearing something completely different. It was very frustrating.

I have felt that her seeing me in the flesh now is a trigger for her.  She is fine with messages, I guess that feels safe for her.

It was exactly the same with us for about a year. For a long time she would look right through me when she saw me. Later, when we couldn't avoid interacting, she would look everywhere but at me. Things have improved a lot and we recently had a "normal" conversation. It was good, but I now permanently have my guard up. I just never know when she will dysregulate, so I keep our interactions brief and cheerful.

But as my T once said, "you are hurting, but she is hurting much worse."  

I try to remind myself of this too. For a long time I was angry and I believed she was a cruel woman. Now I believe she is like a wounded animal that bites the person who tries to help it. She can't control her emotions. It's a horrible illness for all concerned.

All the best.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest