Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 05, 2024, 05:52:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Year Resolution - Listen More.  (Read 503 times)
Lolster

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: January 01, 2015, 05:50:43 AM »

I don't normally do resolutions, but this year I owe it to myself to listen more.

I recently came to a realisation that a long distance friend may also be BPD, but I dismissed the red flags, of which there were many. 

The friend was very different to the ex, I would say she is much higher functioning and fits more the queen/witch profile, whereas the exbf was low functioning and more waif/hermit. 

In hindsight there were many more upfront red flags with the friend (or were they just very different?) than the exbf.

BUT... .I didn't listen to those red flags, so this 'friendship' lasted a lot longer than the relationship with the exbf.  Interestingly the exbf attempted to use this friend to triangulate when I first ended the relationship with him.  I bet they were interesting emails, Laugh out loud (click to insert in post).

The friend changed to very LC with me after staying with me one Xmas/New Year.  During that stay there were a couple of things that may have changed her attitude towards me. One being me enforcing boundaries, and the other was me questioning her bf's behaviour (who she claimed she had no feelings for, yet the way she spoke about him said different) and highlighting that I suspected he may be cheating on her and not wanting to see her get hurt.  It's also possible she felt rejected, tried not to dwell on this issue much but she used to 'joke' that if she were going to ever dabble in same sex relationships she would like it to be with someone like me.  Possible that she felt rejected as I never made any moves in that direction?  Also possible that she felt engulfed, as she did enjoy Xmas when she had always told me that she hated Xmas as it held bad memories for her.

It turned out I was right about the bf and he declared himself in a relationship with his other 'friend' shortly after.  She was furious about that as she considered the other woman far beneath her.  I don't know why she was so surprised, he was upfront that he was going away with her, and hey, she even packed some condoms for him!

I think the difference was that she was very upfront and aware of her black/white thinking (disguised as honesty), her childhood neglect/abuse, her NC with her parents, and that she used a lot of T speak as she was also upfront about having had a lot of therapy... .but her lessons from the T she seemed to use as an excuse for those behaviours, in that they were ideals she expected from others but became clear didn't apply to her.

When I questioned her change in behaviour towards me she basically told me that her 'real' friends accept her as she is, and that I could just suck it up as she didn't feel like talking on the phone.  This was a woman who started out our friendship telling me that her relationships with other women never last, because women are so needy/b**chy and they all stab her in the back.  Her favourite mantra is 'Fairweather Friends.' So as she'd always banged on about how honesty was the most important boundary for her I made the mistake of being honest that she may be losing friends from changing her behaviour towards people with no explanation and why that would be a problem for most people as friendships are two way interactions.

Last year I sent her a card and got a message 'thanks, can't afford stamps at the moment so I can't send you one back.'  This year she didn't even acknowledge that I'd sent her a card.  She's doing the usual fb posts about how she's really found out who her 'real' friends are when she was ill (she has had cancer, but I found out via fb, and it was a good while after she changed the dynamics).   Whilst I have empathy for her situation I cannot support someone who won't even speak to me, other than via the odd message. 

This year I really need to make a note to listen more.  As stated on here by other members, they DO tell you who they are, they DO tell you too much too soon, they DO tell you none of it is their fault, and one day it will be YOUR fault.

Happy New Year to you all, let's hope it's not a 'noisy' year!  Being cool (click to insert in post)

Trog

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 07:05:36 AM »

Yes, people tell us exactly what they are 9/10 the point is to listen and to believe them.

I also will practise that this year.

I also resolve to remember and not to second guess my natural instincts. I have a habit of letting my mind get changed easily or forgetting the poor behaviours of others and letting them walk all over me again and again. I think it's about trusting yourself.
Lolster

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 08:08:04 AM »

Yes, people tell us exactly what they are 9/10 the point is to listen and to believe them.

I also will practise that this year.

I also resolve to remember and not to second guess my natural instincts. I have a habit of letting my mind get changed easily or forgetting the poor behaviours of others and letting them walk all over me again and again. I think it's about trusting yourself.

Indeed, I need to trust my own gut feelings, but then also to ACT on them. 

Although I can't say I regret the friendship in the same way I regretted the relationship with the waif, perhaps because it was a different dynamic altogether?  It was more of an 'experience' than an 'unfortunate incident.'  As they were both long distance neither had a hugely negative impact on my life the same way some members have experienced. 

going places

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 06:39:01 AM »

I am not doing a NY resolution this year.

I am going to do a 12 step program.

Set 12 goals, and that gives me 30 days to reach each goal.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest