Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 01:03:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 yr law ? new york  (Read 1194 times)
4kidz

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: married

« on: January 10, 2015, 08:19:43 AM »

Hello

Wondering if anyone is familiar with any information regarding any rule/law that may exist regarding being married 10 yrs. I live in new York and was told that at 10 years of marriage my spouse may be entitled to much more once 10 years have passed. Just feel I need to prepare . Approaching 10 years in 5 months... Any information would be appreciated...
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 03:28:56 PM »

That's how it is in my state, and I think it's common. Once you're married for 10 years, there is an expectation that you will pay alimony for roughly half the marriage. My ex and I were married for 10 years and a couple of months, and he ended up paying 5 years in alimony.

There is some wiggle room, though. For example, if your wife co-habitates right away with someone, that can be grounds to end alimony. I was also in the middle of a graduate degree, and there was some expectation that given the discrepancy in our incomes (he made 4-5 times what I was making) that alimony would last half the length of the marriage.

Other people have experienced less than that, though.

I think it's less of a rule/law and more of a negotiation point. If you can mediate your financial situation without having to go to court, then it's in your ball park. If you can't mediate, then you end up in front of a judge who will use the 10 year marriage guideline as a starting point, and then look at the particulars to see if it holds up.

Breathe.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 07:59:43 PM »

Have you seen a few family law attorneys in your state for legal advice and possible strategies?  Consultations are generally inexpensive.  Have you done internet searches such as "alimony laws by state" or variations?  (Do so confidentially and at computers not likely to be compromised or monitored by your spouse.)

While we are happy to provide peer support, we're not lawyers and the math would say most of us probably aren't in your state.  That said, it does seem 10 years is a conceptual tipping point of sorts, perhaps a medium length marriage, we just can't say by how much in your case.  There are other factors that are considered by judges.  Are there minor children?  How does one spouse's income (or potential income if imputed) compare to the other spouse's income?  Would the other spouse need support while getting job training or a couple years of college for a particular career or to learn a trade?

Divorce can be broken into a few aspects.  Support during the divorce.  Custody of children (if any from the marriage are minors).  Splitting assets & debts.  Support after the divorce.

4kidz

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 09:31:47 PM »

Thank you both for your response.  I am wondering more along the lines of- is it a law that says at 10 years everything gets split 50/50. This is a second marriage and I have assets that were accumulated before my current marriage. I am concerned that if things continue to deteriorate I will lose 50% of everything I own whether it be property or money I accumulated before my 2nd marriage...
livednlearned
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 09:40:14 PM »

Laws are different in each state and you don't want to make serious decisions based on what you learn on the Internet  Smiling (click to insert in post)

I think it cost me $150 or $200 to talk to an attorney for ~30 minutes or so. Put together a list of questions you have and call a couple of them if you can afford it. Not all attorneys are familiar with BPD, so you could Google "high-conflict divorce" and "attorney" in your zip code/county to try and find law firms familiar with the disorder. And you can always find a good attorney not familiar with BPD and school them. If you do that, though, you have to have a good understanding of both BPD and how family law works. These don't tend to be cheap divorces.

Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Breathe.
catnap

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 11:53:11 AM »

avvo.com you can ask free legal questions to lawyers in your area to get a general idea of how the law applies to your situation.  You can also locate lawyers that offer free consultations.
maxen
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 01:12:49 PM »

hi 4kidz, i'm also divorcing in new york. there's no law and no hard line either. my L said that 7 years (our time of marriage) was "on the border". by ten years, i'm sorry to say, you should be prepared to start at 50/50. but remember, it's "equitable distribution". maintenance, support, etc. will all factor.

4kidz

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 09:32:14 AM »

made a call to set up a consult... thanks to everyone for the feedback...
4kidz

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 09:08:29 AM »

met with attorney last night- no hard rule about 10yrs and an automatic 50/50 split... Found out some other somewhat encouraging information. While I am not ready to puul the plug I feel a bit better in that I took a step to help myself... Small step but somehow I feel a little better. Tough to explain... .
maxen
Retired Staff

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 09:13:50 AM »

I feel a bit better in that I took a step to help myself... Small step but somehow I feel a little better. Tough to explain... .

not tough to explain at all, that's what happens! by taking some step, any step, you're taking back control of your life in some measure.

was this an initial consultation? did you get a good session in?

livednlearned
Retired Staff

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 10:05:10 AM »

You take a small step, then another, then another, then another. That's how it gets done. But when we think about the giant step forward, it's paralyzing. Just take tiny ones, small bits at a time. Then one day you look down at your divorce decree, then you look around your quiet peaceful living room in your quiet peaceful drama-free hacienda and realize you are home free.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Breathe.
4kidz

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 10:05:29 AM »

initial consultation ( this time). Ben in the same situation 2-3 years ago. We decided to try and work things out. I guess thats considered recycling? Not sure. Either way I had what i felt was a costructive meeting...
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 10:51:05 AM »

Been in the same situation 2-3 years ago. We decided to try and work things out. I guess that's considered recycling?

Yes.  Though we can't blame you for trying.  The problem is that if the misbehaving person isn't seriously and consistently working on his or her issues, it will end up to be a 'recycle'.

One glaring difference between then and now is that you've been married nearly 10 years now, not just 7.

And the children have been exposed to a dysfunctional marital relationship for an extra 3 years.  Not that you can protect them from all problems, but likely they saw your example as a compliant, every-suffering, ever-sacrificing, appeasing father.  Breaking out of that controller/target or abuser/victim framework is hard but well worth it.

4kidz

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 01:01:27 PM »

yes they have. that's part of my shame. Now that they are a bit older i try to explain some things to them. I also implore them NOT to follow my leads with relationships.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest