Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 12:30:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Family doctor hinting at PTSD  (Read 1185 times)
.cup.car

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Single

C:\Papyrus

« on: February 24, 2015, 09:55:47 AM »

Been in domestic violence therapy for about two months now. It still feels as if I saw my ex yesterday, whether it was being in court or getting hit by her.

Was suggested to talk to my family doctor. Described how I was feeling and she dropped PTSD several times. She has referred me to a psychiatrist.

I'm very hurt and unsure of what lies ahead. Can anyone else share their experiences?
enlighten me

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 02:48:28 PM »

I believe I was suffering from PTSD  by the end of my relationship. I didnt get treatment and worked through my issues on my own. I was in the army and also worked in hostile enviroments so was quite aware of the signs and symptoms. From personal experience and what ive read PTSD has a lot to do with how personally you take the trauma. I have witnesses this at first hand when during a rocket attack one of my friends lost it. While all around we were lying on the floor scared but calm he was freaking out. He felt that he was the target. This weighed on his mind. While everyone else saw it as a random attempt to kill anyone he took it personally. You see this with drone operators sat in Nevada who get PTSD from a mission thousands of miles away. The take it personally that they didnt do enough to prevent an innocent casualty.

PTSD isnt something to be afraid of being diagnosed with and certainly not something to be embarrassed about. I took my exs treatment of me personally and this self blame was what led me to getting PTSD. I didnt take the attacks in Iraq personally and never had any issues.

.cup.car

Relationship status: Single

C:\Papyrus

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 05:18:23 PM »

I believe I was suffering from PTSD  by the end of my relationship. I didnt get treatment and worked through my issues on my own. I was in the army and also worked in hostile enviroments so was quite aware of the signs and symptoms. From personal experience and what ive read PTSD has a lot to do with how personally you take the trauma. I have witnesses this at first hand when during a rocket attack one of my friends lost it. While all around we were lying on the floor scared but calm he was freaking out. He felt that he was the target. This weighed on his mind. While everyone else saw it as a random attempt to kill anyone he took it personally. You see this with drone operators sat in Nevada who get PTSD from a mission thousands of miles away. The take it personally that they didnt do enough to prevent an innocent casualty.

PTSD isnt something to be afraid of being diagnosed with and certainly not something to be embarrassed about. I took my exs treatment of me personally and this self blame was what led me to getting PTSD. I didnt take the attacks in Iraq personally and never had any issues.

This was very helpful to read and makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much!
enlighten me

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 11:52:41 PM »

Glad it helped.

Leaving

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 09:33:03 AM »

I have PTSD- moderate to severe although I seem to be improving with meditation and counseling.  I won't take medications for it because I know that my reaction to what I've endured is normal and my counselor feels the same way.  Years ago I tried antidepressants and they left me in worse shape than I was and it took me almost a year after withdrawal to feel somewhat normal again.  I've wasted enough of my life trying to cope with my abusive marriage and I don't want to hinder my progress by covering up symptoms.   I want so badly to be done with all of this and move on!  You may want to consider EMDR but I've seen some pretty amazing results with acupuncture on soldiers/veterans who have PTSD.

I  use acupuncture therapy , eat a very healthy diet, keep a regular sleep schedule and I am trying to be more social now.  I joined a book club which may sound pathetic but I've been in total isolation for over ten years ( no family or friends). It's difficult for me to do things that most people take for granted like shopping or filling up my gas tank.  I force myself to go some place at least once a day to help gain confidence and feel less socially awkward.  It's challenging but I feel so glad in knowing that I'm not spinning my wheels anymore.  Any improvement I make to normalize my life is 100 percent a step forward now that I'm mostly free from my husband's wrath.

I still have to deal with my husband in our business but I can handle it so much better now.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest