Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 27, 2024, 09:20:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions I'd like to ask my uBPDfiance  (Read 657 times)
dobie

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2015, 01:59:53 PM »

I think looking back I was very passive in the last few years I went  into myself and got complacent so when the idealisation cooled instead of being more pro active to keep the r/s alive  I was feeling like we had reached that next stage of comfort and security I remember thinking wow this is cool she has calmed down we/I can relax . just before we broke up I remember thinking "how much better things were" Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

LOL! I am so familiar with everything you posted here. I was enjoying the couch also! The way my ex acted at the end, I don't think she was anxious about how close we were, I think she was bored. Not enough trauma drama.

I frequently wonder if I'd held my temper more when she acted up took her out more engaged my old friends more if we would still be together ?

The whole thing was so exhausting ... .Plus apart from grumbling she never sat me down and said we need to do a,b,c
Achaya

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2015, 04:26:08 PM »

That is a rabbit hole to avoid I think, dobie. In a normal relationship with a difference in preferred stimulation levels, I think it makes sense to look at compromises. With a BPD partner I don't think we nonBPDs can ever provide exactly what the BPD partners think they need from us to feel better. My understanding of my pwBPD is that she had some very bad feelings going on a lot of the time. She dealt with the bad feelings by going numb somehow, then she wanted more stimulation to override that. One of the bad feelings was anxiety, and then she would be driven by adrenalin to be restless and agitated.

Like you, I knocked myself out trying to satisfy my partner's ever changing cravings for attention or for no attention or whatever. When she left me saying she wanted "more." I thought, "More than what I gave?--lots of luck finding that." But I am realistic enough to know she will find someone else who wants to try to provide whatever she wants.

I think that, when we relax and stop trying so hard to regulate our partner's mood, they are thrown back on themselves. Bpd people don't like to pick up that responsibility for regulating themselves and they don't know how, so they start casting around for new distractions and regulators.

myself

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2015, 10:08:47 PM »

I'd like to ask, ":)o you really believe the things you projected onto me, that ruined our relationship/made you run away and stay away, even though a thousand other times you told me things that showed you didn't think that stuff is true?" But what's the point, it's over and done and I wouldn't be able to believe her anyway because of all the other times she lied/the disorder made her mangle things and sweep them underneath the rug of her life.
dobie

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2015, 01:25:53 AM »

That is a rabbit hole to avoid I think, dobie. In a normal relationship with a difference in preferred stimulation levels, I think it makes sense to look at compromises. With a BPD partner I don't think we nonBPDs can ever provide exactly what the BPD partners think they need from us to feel better. My understanding of my pwBPD is that she had some very bad feelings going on a lot of the time. She dealt with the bad feelings by going numb somehow, then she wanted more stimulation to override that. One of the bad feelings was anxiety, and then she would be driven by adrenalin to be restless and agitated.

Like you, I knocked myself out trying to satisfy my partner's ever changing cravings for attention or for no attention or whatever. When she left me saying she wanted "more." I thought, "More than what I gave?--lots of luck finding that." But I am realistic enough to know she will find someone else who wants to try to provide whatever she wants.

I think that, when we relax and stop trying so hard to regulate our partner's mood, they are thrown back on themselves. Bpd people don't like to pick up that responsibility for regulating themselves and they don't know how, so they start casting around for new distractions and regulators.

Thanks achaya that's a real insight for me , she was always stressed or anxious I just thought it was her but I can see now that type of high stimulation level she was experiencing is part of her BPD and why we were probably such a high conflict couple I'm highly stimulated as well but not as much as her .

She used to work long hours she needs distractions I see that now or rather the underlying reasons if she didn't feel anxious or stressed she was melancholy it was very unusual for her to just have a normal level baseline .

Funny one of her reasons for leaving is we are both anxious/stressed types which is true but I think she would be bored restless with a very mellow guy

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest