Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 03, 2024, 11:21:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guilt  (Read 351 times)
BacknthSaddle

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: May 26, 2015, 06:16:26 PM »

Hi all,

I haven't been here in awhile, in large part because things have been going quite well (there is hope!).  I feel close to if not fully detached, and my personal and professional life are as good as they have been since before my r/s with my BPDx began three years ago.  It took a lot of effort to time to feel good again, but I am there. 

I never went full n/c, primarily because for me this felt like a recipe for invoking more chaos (although I do NOT think this is the case for most; indeed, I think n/c is an excellent tool. I was just fearful of what it would mean for me).  I haven't, however, contacted my ex in over a year.  Every three or four months, she will contact me, I will be civil, she will try to engage me in some discussion about her personal life, I will say I don't really have help to offer, and that will be that.  This is therapeutic for me.

This post is about me, not her. Today, for the first time in three months or so, she texted me saying that she was having difficult in "all of her relationships,"which she blames on her "pre-menstrual dysphoric disorder" (she may indeed have this, but she certainly behaves in a borderline fashion at all points in the calendar). I again said that I didn't have anything new to offer, to which she replied "fine.  Nobody understands.  Nobody cares.  I'll just have to suffer alone."

I didn't respond, and this was clearly designed to induce guilt in me. She does this because she knows this is the way to me, that I can't tolerate feeling that I've let anyone down.  The problem is that she is right, that this is effective.  It's not effective with her anymore (I've thankfully come to realize that, as above, all her relationships are always chaos, and that I was just another of these), but it is something that I know could lead to mistakes by me in the future, to being manipulated, etc.  I am wondering if anyone else feels this about themselves, this inability to perceived as letting someone down, regardless of circumstance, and if so what they've done to combat it.  I feel that I need help with this. Although I have gotten help with it through therapy, I still have a way to go.

Later she texted "I'm sorry, I won't text again.  I'm sorry for being so dramatic.  It's just that you've always understood."  Again, complimentary but aimed at my guilt.  I hate that I feel a twinge of guilt when I see things like this.  Any thoughts are welcome. 
UserName69
AKA double_edge, Mr.Jason, Bradley101

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 07:39:21 PM »

It's an emotional game she's trying to play with you. Don't fall for it, my ex did the same and whenever we got back to each other within two weeks we had a fight and broke up. Block her number or take a new number. You're trying to recover from that nightmare, keeping semi contact will make things only harder for you. She knows that that's why she's texting you.

Don't feel guilty, it's just you can't have a healthy relationship with a BPD partner it's just a fact and everybody on this forum knows this. I got over mine very quickly because I decided to cut all the contact and end the relationship for good, I know I can get a better partner so why should I stick to my exBPD?

Excerpt
I feel close to if not fully detached, and my personal and professional life are as good as they have been since before my r/s with my BPDx began three years ago.  It took a lot of effort to time to feel good again, but I am there.

No it's not if this was true you wouldn't feel guilty. You still have feelings for her that's why you decided to keep semi contact. In this case you should think about yourself and forget about her. She's your ex now and she can't be fixed. Me and my ex broke like 14 times before I decided to end it.

You didn't let her down, BPD partners are well known for their manipulative behavior, they will always lie to you, cheat on you. You simply can't trust them. She made you feel guilty, can't you see what she's trying to do?

For an example, two months before me and my ex broke up for good I started to dislike her a lot for her behavior. I was getting tired of all the bs drama and her games. I knew that the relationship would end soon. Once when we broke up for one month I met a girl at a local bar we talked and I had a great time with her, I didn't cheat on my gf but this girl asked for my phonenumber. Later I got back with my ex at this period my ex became very distant, she didn't want to see me and she said she needed space. I knew she was playing with my feelings so I started to hate her because I knew she was evil. This new girl helped me with some business related issues and I was talking a lot to her. My ex never responded on my messages. So for me this relation was pretty over. I told my ex that if she keeps acting like this I'm going to leave her forever. She said well if that's how it's going to be let it be so.

Later I went on a business trip this new girl knew about this and she told me if I could bring her a dress she really wanted. I got it for her when I got back she wanted to pay me I refused I told her Im giving this to you as a gift because you have helped me. Couple days later she wanted to have a dinner with me she still wanted to thank me. My ex found out and she said she's going to commit suicide. I was worried because she went NC for one day. I cancelled the dinner, next day my exBPD pretended like nothing happened. I realized that she was playing games again, she was playing with my feelings. Instead of feeling guilty I felt a lot of range, hate and anger towards her. I told her if you want to commit suicide just do it because I really don't care.

I went NC for a while and she contacted me via FB. For me the relationship was pretty over I told her that I'm single and I'm dating. I said that so she wouldn't bother me anymore. She tried to grab my attention by posting some lame stuff on my wall I ignored it later she removed it. She started to piss me off and she tried to flirt with guys on Facebook (again one of her games), since I never get jealous over things I really didn't care if she dated or slept with an another guy because I decided to move on. We ended the relationship one month ago but since two weeks ago I went totally NC. This relationship has ended and I'm waiting for the next one.

You see, they will ALWAYS play games! Don't feel guilty, whenever you do you should remember WHY she became your EX.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 07:54:09 PM »

hey backn,

is this limited contact and/or are the results still therapeutic?

i think it may help to line up her words with her actions:

""I'm sorry, I won't text again.  I'm sorry for being so dramatic.  It's just that you've always understood."

both comments were guilt inducing, but also contradictory. she had just said nobody understands. also, if shes conscious of the fact that youve always understood, makes me wonder why youre at where you are now.

and if you intend to maintain lc, have you read up on boundaries? are you placing them?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest