Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 07:54:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on getting over the addiction  (Read 473 times)
going places

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2015, 07:57:30 AM »

Hi

I keep recycling. I think it's because my pwBPD is getting help and is actually taking responsibility for her negative behaviours.

For me personally?

I kept recycling because *I* WANTED it to get better, and I thought if *I* just tried a little harder, it would be ok.

I kept recycling because a 'biblical counselor' told me that if I didn't I was not 'forgiving' and a bad wife.

I kept recycling because he would tell me he's gonna try and for 2 weeks, try he did (the only thing he tried was to reattach the Mask and manipulate me into believing he had changed) but after 2 weeks, it all went back to the way it was; which was awful.

I kept recycling because of fear.

I kept recycling because it's all I knew... .I'd been with him for 20+ years... .

Excerpt
My heart wants things to work out, but my head knows I can't sign up to being someone's caretaker for life as I know BPD isn't really curable and there is too much water under the bridge in terms of past abuse

After 2.5 YEARS of recycle and misery (after the initial trauma of finding out he was having an affair)... .FINALLY I saw an advocate. (Google 'abuse advocate _______(your city and state in the blank).

THAT is when I started to understand what had happened to me.

THAT is when I started to understand what abuse is.

And THAT is when I started doing research, reading medical and college text books, and started focusing on ME.

That is when the healing began.

After watching my ex (at the time was my husband and we were 'working on the marriage' ha ha) IGNORE me and my youngest child for THREE MONTHS (the 3 months before she shipped off to boot camp) to the point when either one of us walked into the room, he would get up and walk out; not speak to us, not look at us (and when he did, it was with a wadded up face, or he was rolling his eyes)... .THAT was when I said enough.

We had past the point of no return.

I was finally "ready to leave".

Fear and shame be damned, I was gonna rise up.

And I am!

Excerpt
I accept I have an addiction to my pwBPD, but I can't detach my bond/love is too strong. If there was a version of AA for non-BPDs I would sign up tomorrow. I can't even go NC for a day. Can anyone relate to this?

Thanks

Yes, for the longest time I too could not go a day w no contact.

Then I put my full focus on me, and my kids.

My dreams and goals, and their dreams and goals.

Those positive things consumed my thoughts... .leaving no room for the negative ex.

AND every time I would have a 'but this was good and that was good" thought?

I reminded myself that it was all a big fat lie... .because when the ex opens his mouth, he lies.

I reminded myself that it was all in MY head 'our hopes and dreams together'.

His actions spoke volumes louder than his words, and his actions said he is a monster.

To help myself with detachment, I threw him out of the house.

Then I blocked him from all social media and my phone. The ONLY way he could communicate with me was via email. AND the only thing I would discuss was the selling process of our home.

It was hard. VERY hard at first, but the more positive REAL things I focused on, the less I focused on the negative and the ex (which is negative).

I look back at where I was this day last year.

Living in a home, that everyone hated, with a man that hated me, only weeks away from a divorce being final.

Feeling hopeless, helpless, and alone.

Nightmares, flashbacks, panic attacks, etc.

Deep, sadness.

Then a glimmer of hope; a book the advocate recommended; thoughts of owning my own business one day, owning my own home one day... .moving to Florida and never having to spend another winter shivering... .finally getting my kids out of this pressure cooker of gloom and doom... .

Today I am confident. (God willing) I will be a business owner. I will be a home owner.

I am moving in less than 60 days to SW Florida (put the $$ down on the rental last week).

I surround myself with people who are strong, confident, positive and goal oriented.

My Faith is so much stronger today than it was last year... .

There is hope.

The light at the end of the tunnel is not a train!

Take2

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2015, 10:08:11 AM »

I accept I have an addiction to my pwBPD, but I can't detach my bond/love is too strong. If there was a version of AA for non-BPDs I would sign up tomorrow. I can't even go NC for a day. Can anyone relate to this?

Loosestrife... .  you sound like you are experiencing exactly what I have been going thru for years now.  And with every recycle with my exuBPD-bf, the abuse got worse.  It took me a long time to realize that I really was addicted to him, to the drama, the chaos.  I googled addiction therapists and found one in my area who understands the trauma bond, the addiction cycle.  I spent so long focusing on the problems of my ex, but it wasn't until I really and truly focused on why I am SO addicted to someone who is SO cruel to me that I finally started making progress.  I'm not going to lie and say it immediately got easier... .it hasn't.  It's been 5 weeks now that we've been NC.  It's so hard and I keep forgetting the truly cruel and horrible emotional abuse he has put me thru.  I do have to see him at work which makes it so incredibly difficult - but it's getting better.

It will take a long time for your brain to stop reacting to thoughts of her, but it will eventually happen.

And YES - there is a version of AA for non-BPD's - it's called SLAA - Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous.

Now those in this group aren't all ex partners of BPD people - but it is what you are looking for... .

Try looking for a couple books - one called Facing Love Addiction by Pia Melody.  Another is called Ready to Heal from Addictive Relationships, not sure who wrote that one. 

Maybe you can discuss these with your current therapist... .

Like I said, it's still not easy for me.  But I'm finally making progress to move forward in my life.

Yep, I'm back here after about a month gone - because I started missing my ex tremendously.  And it makes no sense to miss someone who was so wildly cruel to me, someone who attempted to destroy my home life more than once, someone who has spread complete lies about me at work recently (saying I slept with other men which no way did I ever do!), someone who sent me naked pix on text of other girls just a few months ago to tell me how I did not compare... .  someone who would and WILL try to get me fired if given the chance (fortunately due to some other issue with his own boss, HR is already aware of his crazy behavior.)

The addiction is all us.  We may not have been quite like this before our r/s with a BPD person, but now we get the fun (NOT) of trying to set ourselves straight as we pick up the pieces of our broken hearts... .

Hugs to you... .
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest