Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 08:29:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book Recommendation: Complaint Free Relationships  (Read 457 times)
DearBFF

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« on: June 04, 2015, 04:32:57 PM »

I just finished a wonderful book that I wanted to recommend to everyone which I think may help those looking to work on their relationships with their BPD loved one.  In learning about BPD my view of my BFF changed slowly over time as I learned more and more and came to understand that her reactions were truly not intentional and that her behaviors were somewhat beyond her control.  I started changing little things I was doing that made a huge impact and I started to see her soften some.  The interesting thing is that these are things I started doing before I read this book... .  This book takes it to a whole new level and I really an see how beneficial it could be to a borderline/non-borderline relationship so I wanted to share.

The book is Complaint Free Relationships by Will Bowen and it was a wonderful read, with a lot of advice/examples and exercises.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6580800-complaint-free-relationships

I had been feeling recently like my BFF had all the power in the relationship, she decided what happened when and I didn't get a say (as a side note her schedule now is ridiculous so her time is scarce to begin with).  When I started doing little things like just reaching out, not expecting a response and changing my responses to her when she snapped or accused me of something I did not do (keeping calm/grounded/using mindfulness) I noticed that her responses changed too.  Before I would give a response that would cause friction, there would be an argument, who was right/etc... .now it is what it is and I remind myself that is upset about something that it is something upsetting her and it doesn't have to upset me as well.  So I can stay separate and joyful, even if she is sitting right next to me in a foul mood.  Then the last time I got to see her... .not only did my mood/reactions soften hers she even mentioned that she doesn't want to be the way she is and she appreciates me understanding, when I left I even gave her a hug.  5 minutes earlier she had been telling me how mad I was making her just being there (me grounding and letting the tummy rumbling stop as I realized I was fine and I was not causing her upset it is simply that she still hadn't dealt with her anger towards me at a situation which it turns out she misread and was misinformed about; and I myself would also be angered by that, but she was mistakenly turning this towards me as if it was my fault when I only showed up to visit her that day).  So I was able to let her anger roll of me and she simmered down, still frustrated but it changed into her being more frustrated with herself for feeling that way than mad at me for causing her to feel that way.  Since I didn't give her anything to add to her anger pot, it didn't boil over!   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Again, that was before I read the book... .now I have even more goodies to add to my tool box so that next time hopefully I will get even farther.   Smiling (click to insert in post)

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest