Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 12:28:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: encouragement  (Read 418 times)
mcardleh
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: June 09, 2015, 01:24:44 PM »

I have a 27 yr old daughter who is currently in a program but who is desperately wanting to leave.

I don't know how to communicate with her the importance of her staying.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
madmom

Relationship status: Married over 30 years

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 02:28:57 PM »

Welcome, my daughter is also 27.  It sounds like you are in a very tough situation right now. Can you tell us a little bit more?  What type of program?  Has she been in it awhile?  Do you think it is helpful to her?  Take a look at the Tools and Lessons on the right hand side of page, especially about listening with empathy and validation, so you are more prepared to talk with her.  I am anxious to hear more from you.  You have come to the right place, there is lots of support here for you.  You are not alone.
kelti1972

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 11:49:23 PM »

mcard:

Welcome, yes do tell us more and give us more information.  I also have a 27 year old son who is in therapy and going to start DBT soon.  There is a lot of support and help here.  Hope to hear from you again!    Kelti
mcardleh
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 11:34:41 AM »

Thank you for your thoughts.  My daughter is in an all women's program that has DBT training.  I think she can benefit from it, she is  struggling to understand how to work with the skills they are giving her.  Unfortunately she just found out that one of the staff members passed away during surgery.  She has lost a lot of people in her past and this situation is very overwhelming to her. I'm struggling when I am in the moment of a conversation with her remembering how to use the tools that I have read here.  I agree there is a lot of good information here.
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 08:28:20 PM »

Hi mcardleh,

It's great that your daughter is in a DBT program.  Getting an adult into an inpatient long term program is difficult so I understand why you would be concerned that she may leave.

When my daughter was wanting to drop out of something or not finish what she started I used an innocuous scenario to get her to agree with my logic and then I would apply it to her particular situation.  For example:

"If you had invested 25 hours in writing a research paper and your teacher handed it back to you and said it was a "d" paper and asked you to invest 3 more hours into a rewrite for an "a" that you need to pass the class would  you do it?" Daughter says "yes" reluctantly.  "Ok, so you have invested 2 months in this therapy and need to invest 2 more weeks so I'm asking you to follow through on the investment in yourself and finish this."

She agreed.

I don't know if this will work with your daughter or not, maybe if you can personalize it for her situation she will be able to see the logic of investing in herself. 

lbj

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
madmom

Relationship status: Married over 30 years

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 04:57:12 PM »

Wow, I think it is great that your daughter is in a program for women and they have DBT therapy also.  I can certainly see why you would want her to stay.   How is she doing now?  Is she still feeling the same way, or was she just reacting to the emotions she was feeling about the staff member who passed away?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest