Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 19, 2024, 02:39:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD claims to feel oddly indebted ...  (Read 440 times)
WhereToBegin

« on: June 27, 2015, 09:25:50 AM »

Do BPDs have difficulty accepting help/support (or acknowledging that that they have received help/support) without feeling like they owe the person everything?  And I don't mean in a "healthy," appreciative way ... .but in a very extreme way?

And if so, what is this attributable to?
jhkbuzz

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 12:18:48 PM »

Do BPDs have difficulty accepting help/support (or acknowledging that that they have received help/support) without feeling like they owe the person everything?  And I don't mean in a "healthy," appreciative way ... .but in a very extreme way?

And if so, what is this attributable to?

My ex was on the dissociative spectrum: she had a "little girl" part of self, an older "teenage" part of self, an adult self, and probably a few others in the mix.  Each would take the "lead" for different lengths of time.

I now understand that I became a caretaker when her "little girl" self took the lead. It's not a role I've played in any other relationship. Her "little girl" part of self wanted to be unconditionally loved and protected - she anxiously desired "safety" above all else. I believe we lasted as long as we did because I helped her feel safe.

Her "teenage" self was her part of self that was borderline. It was this "part of self" that I met - she pursued me, idealized me, was very sexual, impulsive, etc. Later in the r/s this part of self came back - angry, unhappy and avoidant. She complained that she felt controlled, talked down to, and wanted her freedom. Unfortunately, that "freedom" included sleeping with other people during our relationship.

Other times her "adult" part of self was in the lead and wanted to make our relationship work in a healthy way. It was this part of self that could admit that there was something wrong with the way she functioned in relationships. Her "little girl" self didn't really have the ability to analyze our relationship at all. Her "teenage" self blamed everything in the relationship on me.

To say that the way she switched to different parts of self was confusing to me would be the understatement of the millennia. I didn't really understand it all until months after the break up.

So, to answer your question:  sometimes my ex was very grateful for the things I did for her, but at other times the things I did made her feel oppressed and controlled, while at other times she understood that, in an adult relationship, it was a "team" approach and I might contribute and help in some areas, while she would help and contribute in others, and it all worked together for the good of the "team." In the end, how she felt depended upon who was in the "lead."  I finally came to understand that the real problem was that none of her "parts of self" communicated with one another very well, so I think her shifting feelings and beliefs were perplexing even to her.

I don't know if any of this is the case for your ex, however. I bounced back and forth between trying to figure out if she was "dissociative" or "BPD" until my therapist explained that it's not uncommon for only one "part of self" to be BPD. Many things began to fall into place for me after that. Nothing I read up to that point ever described someone in this way.

It's all very sad. I loved her very much but the infidelity broke my heart.  It was the final straw for me, even though I didn't want it to be. It changed everything.
rotiroti
formerly neveragainthanks

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 01:01:16 PM »

Wow jhkbuzz, so sorry you had to go through that. At the same time I am so thankful that you shared your story. Your insightful response gives me hope that one day I will be able to understand my BPDex with empathy.

That last sentence really spoke with me too. I am really struggling with feeling immense love for my ex, but also realizing that it wouldn't have worked out. I have been in n/c for 2 weeks now and the rational part is winning by the day. Thanks to this forum and stories like yours.

Cheers ad thank you
LimboFL

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 01:52:38 PM »

JHK, excellent, highly insightful post, that truly breaks down the various characters that many must contend with, in a relationship with a PD.

I would add strict overbearing Mother figure to my exBPDgf's set of characters. I was made to feel as though I was begging to be, mothered and directed and that talking down to me was the only way to inspire change. If I didn't execute things as she saw instructed, then I was a frustration and treated with mild and sometimes worse contempt, like an insolent child.

jhkbuzz

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 06:48:56 AM »

Wow jhkbuzz, so sorry you had to go through that. At the same time I am so thankful that you shared your story. Your insightful response gives me hope that one day I will be able to understand my BPDex with empathy.

That last sentence really spoke with me too. I am really struggling with feeling immense love for my ex, but also realizing that it wouldn't have worked out. I have been in n/c for 2 weeks now and the rational part is winning by the day. Thanks to this forum and stories like yours.

Cheers ad thank you

The posts on these boards helped me immensely as I was healing; I wanted to understand what I had been through and there were many things I wouldn't have figured out without the people here at bpdfamily.

My goal has always been to attain a detached compassion for my ex - and some days are harder than others. On some days I struggle with the "detached"; on others with the "compassion"; but on others I feel it for sure. These are terrible and sad disorders for everyone involved.

Excerpt
That last sentence really spoke with me too. I am really struggling with feeling immense love for my ex, but also realizing that it wouldn't have worked out. I have been in n/c for 2 weeks now and the rational part is winning by the day.

Two weeks is not a very long time; I'm glad to hear that your rational side is guiding the day. Don't be surprised if your emotions fluctuate as the days go on; I was often surprised to be feeling just fine, and then **BAM** - I'd have a really rough day or two. It's all part of the grieving process, and with the passage of time your emotions will level out.

jhkbuzz

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 06:53:03 AM »

JHK, excellent, highly insightful post, that truly breaks down the various characters that many must contend with, in a relationship with a PD.

I would add strict overbearing Mother figure to my exBPDgf's set of characters. I was made to feel as though I was begging to be, mothered and directed and that talking down to me was the only way to inspire change. If I didn't execute things as she saw instructed, then I was a frustration and treated with mild and sometimes worse contempt, like an insolent child.

Have you done any reading about Schema Therapy?  Take a look at the description at www.getselfhelp.co.uk/schema.htm and come back and tell me which "mode" your ex was in when she was mothering you.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest