Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 11:21:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't stop blaming self  (Read 370 times)
Confused in TX

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: September 14, 2015, 03:10:26 PM »

I'm back.  Maybe some of you remember me from June when I had posted about my boyfriend of six months who proposed and asked for the ring back the same night.  We are in our 40's so I thought it was ok that we moved so quickly... .he tattooed his name on my arm after three month, asked me to move in after four months and the engagement on six month anniversary.  I did not yet understand what love bombing was and the devaluation.  He didn't speak to me after he took the ring back after proposing.  Just said, "he had no feelings for me" and would not take any calls or texts.  Stopped all communication.  I spent that month on the floor, devastated and you all helped me through that time.

Well, he came back a month later.  He did not apologize or take any responsibility.  He just showed up one day and said "it had nothing to do with me" he just felt engulfed and that I embarrassed him that night at dinner when he gave me the ring. (I could not handle our six course "wine" dinner) and was apparently showing off the ring too much.  He said I was acting pretentious and ungrateful.  ANYWAY.  He came back and we got back together (because I had blamed myself the first time) and we had a month filled with perceived slights (on his end) anger eruptions (at strangers) and some great times too.  He did drink too much in Vegas and call me a name but I gave him grace for the time I embarrassed him at the wine dinner.  So about a month in after helping him pack his entire house to move he asks me to help him with his car.  I drive an hour downtown to meet him and he is late.  He sends a text but I have a meeting and have to move some things so I also call him.  He does not like this, I can tell.  I help him with his car and buy him donuts and coffee.  That night we go to dinner and once we get back to my place I tell him that I have insecurities that he will pull the rug out again.  He yells "what do you want the f'ing ring back right now, do you want to get married tomorrow?"  I say no, just want to get reassurance we can make it through the speed bumps. That he won't abandon me again.  He tells me that I don't have any self esteem and that he would have respected me more if I would have got on a plane and went home and left him in Vegas for calling me a name.  The final kicker, he tells me "I've been wanting to tell you since this morning that you don't get to ask me why I was late," he says "i've been wanting to tell you all day to SHUT THE F$#% UP. 

So that's when I threw him out of my house.  I de-friended him on social media and cut all ties.  I felt strong in that moment and sent him an email saying, "you say I don't respect myself enough when you treat me poorly, this is me doing that, I'm sure you understand why I'm disconnecting with you."  "i wish you all the best."

The next day he was on all of the dating sites, blocked me in every way... phone, text etc and his dating profile lists that he is looking for someone emotionally stable as his last girlfriend is not.  I have just found out that he is very happy now dating a fitness model and excited about the rest of his life since he is rid of me.

I'm trying to get to the healthy part of myself and feeling good about ending it.  But I also remember the good times and hearing that he is very happy to be moved on from me, absolutely kills.

I'm just so mixed up again.  I was his EVERYTHING for six months.  He even said that he put me on a pedestal but then I fell off and he was DONE.  Then he came back and I still found ways to mess it up according to him.  He said my insecurities were tiring.  I just feel FLATTENED again and I am the one who threw him out!  I tried to reach him to talk through things or at least put a little peace around it but he has given me final silent treatment.

PROMISE ME IT WILL GET BETTER!  That I will someday see this as wrong and be able to move on.  There isn't one person in my life who REFUSES to speak to me except for him.  I can't put any peace around it.  I can't forgive myself for my role.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated and if you've made it through and can offer hope... .I'd love to hear that it gets better.

Thank you!
Chrisbazsky77

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 03:43:27 PM »

Please don't feel guilty about having recycled. Almost all of us here have experienced that only because we believe things get will get better.

I can imagine having his pledge of marriage meant the world and now you feel the good bits will never materialise.

I can relate to the emptiness you would feel inside right now. This is completely expected, as you have had to cut off someone you love. This is incredibly difficult when you're the one having to cut the strings! Once I had done all I could, gave it my best one last time-I had to then take practical steps toward my recovery.

In the next few weeks you will have to allow yourself to grieve the good memories and come to terms with the reality of the not so good ones. The reality is-he is disordered and nothing you do/say will make him better.

Do you have a tangible support structure outside of the site in the form of family or friends?

What one step can you think of-just one for now-that will perhaps help you to stick to your decision of moving foward without him?

It DOES get better!
scgator

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 04:08:29 PM »

I'm back.  Maybe some of you remember me from June when I had posted about my boyfriend of six months who proposed and asked for the ring back the same night.  We are in our 40's so I thought it was ok that we moved so quickly... .he tattooed his name on my arm after three month, asked me to move in after four months and the engagement on six month anniversary.  I did not yet understand what love bombing was and the devaluation.  He didn't speak to me after he took the ring back after proposing.  Just said, "he had no feelings for me" and would not take any calls or texts.  Stopped all communication.  I spent that month on the floor, devastated and you all helped me through that time.

Well, he came back a month later.  He did not apologize or take any responsibility.  He just showed up one day and said "it had nothing to do with me" he just felt engulfed and that I embarrassed him that night at dinner when he gave me the ring. (I could not handle our six course "wine" dinner) and was apparently showing off the ring too much.  He said I was acting pretentious and ungrateful.  ANYWAY.  He came back and we got back together (because I had blamed myself the first time) and we had a month filled with perceived slights (on his end) anger eruptions (at strangers) and some great times too.  He did drink too much in Vegas and call me a name but I gave him grace for the time I embarrassed him at the wine dinner.  So about a month in after helping him pack his entire house to move he asks me to help him with his car.  I drive an hour downtown to meet him and he is late.  He sends a text but I have a meeting and have to move some things so I also call him.  He does not like this, I can tell.  I help him with his car and buy him donuts and coffee.  That night we go to dinner and once we get back to my place I tell him that I have insecurities that he will pull the rug out again.  He yells "what do you want the f'ing ring back right now, do you want to get married tomorrow?"  I say no, just want to get reassurance we can make it through the speed bumps. That he won't abandon me again.  He tells me that I don't have any self esteem and that he would have respected me more if I would have got on a plane and went home and left him in Vegas for calling me a name.  The final kicker, he tells me "I've been wanting to tell you since this morning that you don't get to ask me why I was late," he says "i've been wanting to tell you all day to SHUT THE F$#% UP. 

So that's when I threw him out of my house.  I de-friended him on social media and cut all ties.  I felt strong in that moment and sent him an email saying, "you say I don't respect myself enough when you treat me poorly, this is me doing that, I'm sure you understand why I'm disconnecting with you."  "i wish you all the best."

The next day he was on all of the dating sites, blocked me in every way... phone, text etc and his dating profile lists that he is looking for someone emotionally stable as his last girlfriend is not.  I have just found out that he is very happy now dating a fitness model and excited about the rest of his life since he is rid of me.

I'm trying to get to the healthy part of myself and feeling good about ending it.  But I also remember the good times and hearing that he is very happy to be moved on from me, absolutely kills.

I'm just so mixed up again.  I was his EVERYTHING for six months.  He even said that he put me on a pedestal but then I fell off and he was DONE.  Then he came back and I still found ways to mess it up according to him.  He said my insecurities were tiring.  I just feel FLATTENED again and I am the one who threw him out!  I tried to reach him to talk through things or at least put a little peace around it but he has given me final silent treatment.

PROMISE ME IT WILL GET BETTER!  That I will someday see this as wrong and be able to move on.  There isn't one person in my life who REFUSES to speak to me except for him.  I can't put any peace around it.  I can't forgive myself for my role.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated and if you've made it through and can offer hope... .I'd love to hear that it gets better.

Thank you!

I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this. I can sure relate though. I kept thinking I had done something to mess things up one way or another. Either by not respecting myself enough to establish boundaries or by not reacting in the right way whenever my exfg was dysregulated. But really, space and time has give me some clarity and I see now that nothing I did would have changed anything. She would say she was "fighting" for us but there was really no effort on her part to understand, empathize or even give any credit to me or my feelings. We too were very close to getting married. I'm glad now that it didn't go that far.

Whenever I start to ruminate about the good times, I think of some of the ugly ones. One that helps me get through the ruminating is there was a time she was dysregulated and leaving to be with some "friends" - I have no idea who, I'm thinking a guy - anyway, I said I love you when she was leaving and she did the throwing up in her mouth action. Why the heck would I ever want to put up with that behavior? I believe in treating others they way I want to be treated and showering disrespect on them is not what I do, yet I put up with it.

I think how everyone moves on is different but IT WILL GET BETTER. Establish a support network if you can, you may be surprised. I had a friend I'd lost touch with during the rs tell me my exgf sounded just like his ex wife and anytime I needed to talk to give him a call. That along with therapy, forcing myself to get out and be social, meet new people (all outside my comfort zone), feeling and naming the emotions that well up inside me when they do and coming here has helped me. I'm learning to show myself as much compassion as I showed her. I'm trying to become my own best-friend, my own safety and security net. I know I'll never leave myself.

Find what helps you and try to do it. I still miss the fantasy relationship but I don't miss the lies, put-downs, abuse, lack of responsibility, etc. Try to be compassionate with yourself and cut yourself a break. I struggled too - still do, and still break down in tears out of the blue. I struggled with the promises I made her and then shouldered the responsibility for not following through. My therapist said I made a mistake, that's all. We all do. Sometimes I ask myself what I'd tell my daughter if she said her bf did/said everything my exgf did - I'd tell her to take care of herself and find someone who will love her the way she deserves. I now tell myself that.

I don't know if any of that helps you but I do know focusing on YOU. Why the rs was attractive to you, what you want out of life, what your dreams were before the rs, what you want in a future rs. It's all available to you once you start believing it.

Hang in there, it does get better!

Tangy

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 04:16:48 PM »

Omygosh... .I can so relate to you and I promise it does get better... .I am not even to two months and we were together for over 3 years... .but for it to get better you have to take care of yourself.

So similar... .except we are in our 20s. He asked my dads permission to marry me... .planned this huge romantic thing... .he proposed... .two weeks later he's sitting on the kitchen floor talking about how he wont be a good father or husband... .and how he thinks he made a mistake... .and how he'll never be able to take another girl out or meet a girl randomly and enjoy the highs (ya think?). And he had done something similar before engagement which I wont go into.

Anyway that went on from Oct 2013-Nov 2014 (on and off... .okay... .and not) and then in December of 2014 he was READY to marry me... .I was back on the pedestal... .he was so in love blah blah... .then January 2015 the rug comes back out "I want to leave you... .why wont you just let me leave you... .I don't love you... .etc... ."

He moved out on March 1 (and writes on the kitchen board... .I love you never forget). I got recycled in May... .he met up with a friend in July (which he promised me 7 ways to sunday that he would not cheat on me with... .I was his one and only... .I was the one for him... .Nothing would come between us, No More Pain... .etc... .". Well... .he cheated (We were in the middle of planning a wedding for real this time). And he confesses and tells me he's done... .he can't do this anymore... .I get in the way of him living his life... .etc... .That was July 22 and I havent talked with him except for a few email exchanges about bills. He tried to email me about something personal (not our relationship... .but something about a concert we went to when together) to which I ignored.

I like you, go in circles about blaming myself. Because he is now with friend that he cheated on me with... .And it hurts because we were RIGHT in the middle of planning a wedding... .and how he's with her... .and he hasn't tried to contact me... .which makes me feel like he's happier with her... .I didn't go into this here, but I wasn't perfect/healthy in the beginning of our rship and I cant stop blaming myself for stuff I did in the past... .but when he has me painted white he doesnt blame me for it either... .so I go off of that... .as well as a very KEY thing you said... .which is THERE IS NO ONE ELSE IN YOUR LIFE WHO REFUSES TO SPEAK TO YOU... .What does that tell you? Hell, mine even said something similar to me once. I told him... .you're the only person in my life that treats me like this... .and he said "What does that tell you?" Essentially taking blame.

What kind of family did you grow up in? Are you used to taking the blame for other people's thoughts, feelings, and behaviors? Because I think you know on a cognitive level that this isn't your fault, but coming to believe this on an emotional level is another thing entirely.

So... .where am I right now? I am loving what I have going on in my life. My life is full, I have AMAZING friends that show me how to be loved (because I have never been shown what healthy love looks like), I am in therapy, and I have a my eyes on a few new guys. I have been working really hard on myself for the last 8 years, and I think I've finally learned what I need to do differently in relationships going forward. I would say to ensure the best result do NO CONTACT. Seriously getting away from the abusive behavior, and only surrounding yourself with people that love and respect you will be one of the best things you can do for yourself, as well as loving and respecting yourself. No one that would do or say anything like that has any place in your life. You did not cause him to be like that. The more you start feeling love for yourself, the more that behavior like that will seem WRONG. That's why you kicked him out. You knew. But now you're dealing with the pain of withdrawal as well as believing the fantasy that he is off happier with Miss Model. And if he's happier with her... .then what does that mean... .That YOU were the problem. Believe me, I know this all too well. I am so scared he's SO much happier with his former friend (now girlfriend I guess). And it makes me feel so much shame about myself. But its still the honeymoon period. They don't have to do anything to be happier, their brain chemistry does it for them. SO maybe yours is temporarily? But what about after? Believe me, I know I sound super positive right now, but I truly know what its like to feel like its all your fault. That's why I stayed with him for three years when he repeatedly treated me poorly and without respect. But no contact truly will help. And keep repeating to yourself how everyone else in your life loves you... .how could this be if you were so awful?

Love and Light <3
enlighten me

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 04:32:17 PM »

Hi Confused in TX

As others have said it does get better. Ive been there twice with two different women so I know it does.

Its a very confusing time for you. Your mind is pulling you all over the place his actions are contradictory and that causes a lot of confusion.

Try not to believe anything you are shown about how happy he is. I can go on social media and within a week have people believe Im dating a super model after winning the lottery.

I feel like Ive said this a lot lately but try thinking of the things he says as coming from a six year old. I used to imagine my ex was a character from the just William books that little girl in the sailors outfit with a lollipop. Looking at her raging I imagined her as this petulant little girl.

They have an emotional immaturity. The look how wonderful my life is without you is like a kid in the school yard trying to get your attention.

I don't want to play with you anymore. I never liked you. I have so much more fun with xyz.

Its childish attention seeking.

The fact that he doesn't want to speak to you in my opinion is because he cant face you due to the guilt. We paint our exs black to help detatch so its not hard to see they would use the same tactic.

Keep posting I helps.

EM

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest