Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 03, 2024, 10:25:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: my 39 yr old daughter's progress  (Read 390 times)
jaya

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: September 30, 2015, 12:17:15 PM »

Five months ago I posted my introduction; I'm 72 and dealing with my BPD daughter's choices.  She had taken on some mini horses and boarded them for free or trade-out, at a nearby stable.  I had been paying her own rent for a year, because she had ongoing health crises and could no longer work, but when I realized she had no way of paying for maintenance and boarding of her minis, I pulled the financial plug, and with the help of advice and encouragement here on this site, I held my ground, knowing she should have learned her lesson before.  (She had bought a ranch and several horses a few years ago with her dad's inheritance, but she ran out of money and lost everything).  Since then she and her roommates have found a way to pay her share of the rent (DSHS), she had major urgent surgery in August (the last time I saw her was at the hospital) and is recovering to the point she hopes to go back to work soon.  So she has made progress; I have kept my distance (she continues to resent me for pulling the financial plug) but I phone and leave messages encouraging her for moving forward (she doesn't talk to me directly). Now I see a posting on social media that she needs to move the minis--she tends to feud with people.  Don't know how she is paying for hay, vet etc.  It's her problem.  I doubt I get a frantic call for financial bailout again, but if I do, I know I need continuing support.  Thanks!
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 01:27:02 PM »

Now I see a posting on social media that she needs to move the minis--she tends to feud with people.  Don't know how she is paying for hay, vet etc.  It's her problem.  I doubt I get a frantic call for financial bailout again, but if I do, I know I need continuing support.  Thanks!

Welcome back, jaya Welcome

You are on the right track, I think... .It's hard to witness our child self-destruct right before our very eyes, but when that child is an adult, living on his/her own, and not looking for our advice, we do need to step back and see if he/she can figure it all out.

At best, if you do get that frantic call for financial help, you could use S.E.T. to handle the situation:

S=Support: ":)aughter, I'm so sorry that things haven't worked out for you the way you'd hoped... ."

E=Empathy: "If that happened to me, I would also be frantic and upset... ."

T=Truth: "I'm here for you as an emotional support system, and do care, though I cannot help financially... ."

Or something like that, maybe? 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest