Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 03, 2024, 11:43:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Al- Anon?  (Read 349 times)
Mel1968

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: October 19, 2015, 01:34:10 PM »

Hi everyone

I seem to remember reading (but I can't now find where) that some members have been helped by going to Al-Anon?

I'm really feeling in need of some support in the aftermath of my relationship finally finally ending after dozens of increasingly bloody recycles over the past few months, and I don't have any friends or family who really understand, so I wondered about attending a local Al- Anon group. But:

Why might it be helpful for me as alcohol has never been involved, and

Wouldn't they possibly be a bit put out by someone going for whom alcohol isn't an issue?

Any advice/experiences appreciated.

Thanks

Mel

Sluggo

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Divorced 4 yrs/ separated 6 / Married 18 yrs

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 01:39:51 PM »

I have gone in spurts over a period of months to this and always find solace when I do.  Your BPD is your 'qualifier' .  I have got great wisdom in hearing the stories of the others.  It feels empowering.  I would encourage you to give it a try.  Some groups even separate out for the newbys and you go 6 sessions just with other newbys. 

Mel1968

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 01:45:45 PM »

So It's fine to say that my ex has BPD, is not an alcoholic? I had this worrying thought that I might need to pretend she was an alcoholic, or stay quiet, neither of which seemed either ethical or useful... .but I was also assuming I must be misunderstanding something along the way, hence the checking it out to be sure... .

Thanks, AKK4BVM, I'm glad it was useful for you.

focus

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 01:52:04 PM »

Hi Mel.

Have you considered CoDA meetings?
mimi99

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 01:52:46 PM »

I am in a 12-step recovery program and sometimes people come in who are not necessarily addicts, alcoholics, etc. I have attended Al-Anon as well and found them to be very welcoming. The goal of Al-Anon and Nar-Anon is for the member (you and me) to be happy no matter what the addict/alcoholic (substitute BPD) in their life is doing. The 12 steps are very helpful and healing no matter why you are there. . There are some of us that think the whole world could benefit from working the 12 steps! Lol. I encourage you to give it a try.
Darsha500

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 01:54:13 PM »

Hey Mel,

I'm a part of the 12 step movement and found al anon helpful in the aftermath. I understand were your coming from. Though my ex and I are both in recovery, the issues I'm dealing with are not nessessarily related to alcohol, only indirectly I suppose.

I go and I can still generalize all the stories to my own situation, as at bottom the message is the same, BPD, alcoholism, dosent matter. So you could go and just listen. I'm not sure how averse they'd be to you not having an alcoholic qualifier, as that is what the program is geared towards. If their decent people, I would hope they'd be understanding.

However, that is why coda exists. Which is co dependents anonymous. I have never been to one of these meetings, but I believe they are more open to all, sense there focus is simply on codependency.

Coda meetings may be harder to come by, but I'd encourage you to check out where local meetings are held in your area.
Mel1968

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 02:01:14 PM »

Thanks for your very helpful replies

I live in quite a small place and there doesn't appear to be a CODA meeting - I saw a poster in the local library last week and have contacted the national society, and got no reply, and called the local number given, to find that the number doesn't exist... .I did begin to wonder if it was some kind of test to see just the level of your dependency and resilience... .

Ok, I'm going to aim to go to the Al Anon meeting on Friday. I'll listen and then be honest...

Two more questions - is there like a leader, agenda etc or is it just a group where people who want to, talk, and will I be definitely  to speak?

Thanks

mimi99

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 02:08:29 PM »

There is a group leader who is not an authority--just another member taking their turn at running the meeting. Some meetings have an agenda, some will have a speaker, some will be open sharing. They almost always ask at the beginning if there is anyone new. You can introduce yourself and ask if they mind if you share during the meeting even if your loved one is ill, not alcoholic, etc.
Mel1968

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 02:19:33 PM »

That's really helpful, mimi99, thank you. I'm going to do it. I'll let you know how I get on... .

Mel

Sluggo

Relationship status: Divorced 4 yrs/ separated 6 / Married 18 yrs

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 03:05:53 PM »

Good luck!  I think you will get something positive from it. 
Tay25

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 12:39:31 PM »

Al anon is for anyone who was raised in a toxic home environment. It may help you I'm not sure. I was debating going for a while as I am an ACoA but I've gone to therapy instead and learning how to understand myself and others really helped me become a better person today.
Lucky Jim

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 12:00:27 PM »

Hey Mel1968,

Yes, I went to several Al-anon meetings and found them helpful.  The principles are quite applicable to living with a pwBPD.  My BPDxW self-medicated w/alcohol.  Believe it or not, the Al-anon pamphlets have some good information, too.  Worth a try.

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest