Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 08:09:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is normal?  (Read 366 times)
enlighten me

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: November 17, 2015, 02:27:37 AM »

Lately I have seen a lot of the use of he word normal but I really don't know what normal is.

I feel that normal is banded around but it is a matter of personal perspective as to what normal is.

Is it even possible to have a person who is normal. With cluster B disorders there are 33 criteria. If we have even one of these does that mean we are not normal? With all the other clusters and criterias is there anyone on the planet that doesn't have one criteria?

I feel we get lost at times. I think rather than concentrate on whats normal we should look at whats healthy. I have a friend with by polar so he wouldn't be classed as normal but he is one of the nicest people you can meet and his behaviour is healthy.

Reforming

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 12:37:04 PM »

Hi Enlighten me

I think you're quite right - normal is a very subjective term that is often used to cloak a very broad variety of functional and dysfunctional behaviour.

How we see the world and how we behave is shaped by a unique blend of genetic inheritance and life experience.

Heathy is a much better term and I think that means what's healthy me, because what's healthy for one person may not work for another.

The only difficulty is see with normal debate is that some people I know use their rejection of normal as a way of avoiding doing the work to get healthy. Frequently they are often the people who would most benefit from

For example, "I don't need to see a T, the whole therapy thing is an obsession with diagnosing people and putting them into boxes."

The question I would ask is are you making the most of your life and your chance to be happy? Are there things you do that hold you back and make you unhappy? I think there's a sweet spot between self acceptance and self knowledge and a desire to learn and grow.

Reforming

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest