Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 29, 2024, 04:11:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Passionate Marriage  (Read 354 times)
unicorn2014

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« on: January 24, 2016, 06:24:03 PM »

That is the next book on my shelf, also recommended by the PI board.

I have to admit I'm pretty cynical about sex in marriage. My first husband felt entitled to sex when he wanted it because he worked for a living. By the end of marriage I dreaded sex. My ex had a back injury from when he was speeding on the highway and got rear ended that was further exacerbated by the physical work he did and he used sex to try and ease his pain so it had a very compulsive feeling to it. I remember talking to my godmother about the fact that I thought my ex had a sex addiction and her telling me she couldn't help me now that we were married. I also remember my ex telling me he felt he couldn't reach me emotionally. Well, yeah, that's because he was an untreated bipolar and drug addict and I had probably withdrawn emotionally to protect myself.  That was one of the things that finally made me end the marriage, I had had enough, and I wanted to be celibate. I found out later he had sociopathic traits too so it was no wonder sex was no longer pleasurable by the end of the marriage.

I was single for seven years except for a brief short term fling before getting into my current relationship which was built on a lie, and which is currently on hold.

It is interesting, I've been looking at some peers from high school and they seem happy and well adjusted in stable marriages and families.

Anyways I'm going to plunge into this book next, until its due at the library too.
Michelle27

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 08:59:04 AM »

I read this book when I was trying to work through whether I could continue in my marriage or not.  I found it fascinating, and it's a different kind of book than I would have expected with that title.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  It really made me think.
unicorn2014

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 05:02:26 PM »

Thanks Michelle, I actually returned it, it was too triggering for me as I am not married.
Michelle27

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 08:17:06 AM »

Thanks Michelle, I actually returned it, it was too triggering for me as I am not married.

I had trouble reading it too.  Most books I read cover to cover in a short period of time.  I had to read this one in small chunks, process it and take breaks from it. 
unicorn2014

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 04:09:04 PM »

I had trouble reading it too.  Most books I read cover to cover in a short period of time.  I had to read this one in small chunks, process it and take breaks from it. 

I don't read books cover to cover, right now I'm reading eclipse by stephanie meyer.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest