Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 09:21:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: As Close As I'll Get to Full Detachment  (Read 462 times)
mrwigand

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: February 08, 2016, 01:21:31 AM »

I'm about a year removed at this point from my relationship with dBPDex-gf. Despite it being a really chaotic and painful relationship filled with treatment that felt really unfair and hurtful, I somehow managed to stay on good terms with her. But I haven't had any substantive contact with her for months (my choice). Every so often she will check in to see how I am doing, and I'll engage her on her life, etc., but that's the limit of what I want from a relationship with her. And I'm comfortable with that.

I've reached the point where I've forgiven her for any mistakes I think she made during the relationship, and I truly wish her well. At the same time, it's best that our involvement in each other's lives is at a minimum.

Anyway, I went to a concert with my good friend, and I actually ran into my ex-gf for the first time in months. I knew going in she would be there and I was fine with it. I wasn't enthusiastic, but it was fine. I had arrived with a close mutual friend of ours and we all hung out. Like I said, my ex and I are on really good terms so I caught up with her, introduced myself to her boyfriend, tried to get to know him... .Things I couldn't have even imagined doing 6 months ago.

Don't get me wrong... .I wasn't completely indifferent to this interaction, some emotions came up vaguely, but more than anything I really was happy that she seemed happy. I think the big thing was is that I recently broke up with my girlfriend, amicably but it was still quite painful, so my dBPDex-gf was the least of my worries. And it gave me perspective and distance I guess.

I don't know. Thought it might be helpful to some to read that I've reached a point of acceptance and detachment (and if anyone has read my posts going back a WAYS, you'll see that's been hard

But it can and will happen with time. Maybe it will take longer than you think is normal, but be kind to yourself. And love yourself.
Teereese

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 05:36:11 AM »

Thank you Mrwigand.

It helps to hear experiences of acceptance and detachment. Especially when I am in a place that does not allow for it yet, mid divorce.

My stbx and I are mostly NC except for required contact in court and matters of house sale.

Every interaction that I have with him shows how angry and cruel he is and it leaves me reeling afterwards.

I go into these interactions with the resolution of being calm, collected and strong. I just want this to be over so I can have time and distance to heal and move on. I try to remain so while there. His anger and cruelty continue to cut me to the core. I can usually make it to the car before I break down into a blubbering mess.

Each time, I allow him to have less effect on me and the reeling and blubbering pass quicker.

I know the end is in sight and keep looking forward to it.

Thank you for your reminders too  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Learning_curve74

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 10:15:00 AM »

Thank you for sharing your story mrwigand. It sounds like you are doing pretty well at this time.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

There is a thread on the staying board for people still in BPD relationships called "success stories", maybe there should be one on this board too but for people who are enjoying life post-BPD relationship.

kc sunshine

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 10:51:31 AM »

Oh yes, I would love a thread on post-BPD life & relationship success stories.

Thank you for sharing your story mrwigand. It sounds like you are doing pretty well at this time.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

There is a thread on the staying board for people still in BPD relationships called "success stories", maybe there should be one on this board too but for people who are enjoying life post-BPD relationship.

zeus123

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 10:52:20 AM »

it's not about getting over your BPD ex, it's about repairing and empowering you to become the man you've always dreamed of being.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest