Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 02:52:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skin Picking  (Read 866 times)
Hindsight2020

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: February 09, 2016, 01:56:18 AM »

My BPD ex used to have this obsession where she would pick at her skin. It was especially worse on her legs. About midway through the relationship she began picking at my skin. It was mostly my back but would also escalate to other parts of my body including my face. At first I would tell her to stop and that I didn't like it. But over time I became numb to it. Did anyone else have this problem with a BPD ex?
greenmonkey

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 03:48:42 AM »

my ex did it with her feet and her son copied her - awful disgusting gross habit 

sweetheart

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married, together 11 years. Not living together since June 2017, but still in a relationship.

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 04:07:29 AM »

Hello Hindsight2020,

I'm usually over on Staying  , but I saw your thread and felt compelled to post, I don't think I've ever seen a thread on this before.

What you describe has a name it is Dermatillomania, or Skin Picking and it is indeed linked to BPD. Of course not all pwBPD or BPD traits do this, but some like my dBPDh do. It is linked to other psychiatric disorders as well, like OCD, anxiety, Body Dismorphia.

My dBPDh has always done this, at first it used to freak me out, before I understood what it was. I asked his P if it was in anyway linked to his illness and then did some searching online myself. My dBPDh goes through phases of this, if he is particularly unwell it can be very bad, he has gouged a circular hole out of the top of his thigh that has left a horrible scar. That's just one area that he has picked! He has holes and scars on his ears, neck, arms.

My h has a past history of self injurious behaviours through cutting, and I see extreme Skin Picking as a form of self-mutilation.

What I have noticed is he is unable to leave any spot, bump, pimple, any bit of his body alone, he will keep picking and picking until it becomes 'an issue' and oftentimes may need medical attention. Sometimes he is aware of his picking and sometimes he is not.

Here is a link that explains in more detail about Skin Picking www.dermasupportnetwork.org/what-is-dermatillomania/

Frank88

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 11:05:47 AM »

Hindsight2020: This seems to hit home with me.  I did not see any cutting or mutilation in my BPDex.  However, she did scratch a lot and had little scars from it.  I just realized that she liked to pick at me as well (blemishes, skin, etc.).  It seemed weird at the time, but now it makes sense.
svart

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 12:16:20 PM »

It was the first red flag I noticed on my ex. She used to do it on her scalp dermatillomania is the name for this disorder.

cootkilla

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 04:08:12 PM »

mine picked her face almost everynight - never saw it bleed or scar- but never saw anything to be picking either - she says zits but I never saw any. just thought it was another one of those things, I guess it was just another unrecognized red flag
Pretty Woman

The Greatest Love is the Love You Give Yourself

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 05:16:32 PM »

It's so weird when you realize this is actually a trait. Laugh out loud (click to insert in post).

Mine was always popping my zits and picking at my blemishes. If there was a small bump on my arm she would dig at it. I am lucky this was not often (I have great skin) however it was gross and quite strange for sure!

PW

Hindsight2020

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 06:15:28 PM »

It's been a year since we split up. Its been nc the entire time. I feel no need to contact her, and I'm almost 100% sure she won't contact me again. Not that our breakup was much worse then anyone else's on this board. I just feel like if it hasn't happened at this point, it probably never will. And I'm happy with that. Ever since we split I always felt like the picking was a type of physical abuse. The emotional abuse was always there, but I never thought of it as physical abuse during the relationship. Some of the marks she left have never went away. I have bumps on my arms from her squeezing at my skin with her long nails. I feel like she'll always be in the back of my mind as long as their still there
Technique

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 06:39:23 PM »

Mine would pull at the very fine hair above her lip. MUST have been painful. I didn't notice it until a few months into the relationship (like most things) The longer we were together the more often she would do it.

Rmbrworst

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 06:43:48 PM »

My exBPD's fingers were a bloody mess because he would pick at them constantly. 

He would become angry if I moved his hands away from each other or away from his mouth. 

Learning Fast

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 08:13:53 PM »

My ex would pick at the top of both of her thumbs with her forefingers.  Sometimes she wore bandaids if it became too noticeable or obvious.  Whenever I inquired she would quickly hide her hands and change the subject.

Additionally, whenever sun tanning she would ALWAYS end up with a sunburn.  Rarely if ever wore sunscreen and has a fair complexion to boot.  Also had chronic ear/hearing problems.  I finally offered to find a local ENT for treatment.  Her response "Oh, don't do that because if I didn't have some type of ailment I wouldn't know what to do with myself".

Learning more about the disorder convinced me that this was a mild/moderate form of self-mutilation.

LF
JosephD
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 08:25:10 PM »

My exes fingernails were always chewed down.  She picked at my pores and my few zits.  Like she was trying to fix me. Is that control or is that just an extension of their body mutilation? Or are they OCD? Regardless, it is not normal and is a BPD Red flag.
Hindsight2020

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 08:50:35 PM »

It's sad that this is something so many people had to go through . It worries me that so many people with BPD have to suffer with this. Thank you all for your responses.
ostr38

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 08:51:55 PM »

My SO with BPD constantly hurts himself. He is very handy, and not clumsy. But he is constantly either burns himself when stocking fire in the stove or cutting himself with tools at work. He is also obsessed with popping zits! He makes himself bleed doing that. Is it connected to BPD too? I wonder now... .I always thought it was just him being 'tough'... .But the zits thing I think won't fall into the category.
Cazz787

Formerly Cane

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 01:03:39 AM »

Mine lived too filthy to be OCD, but she was always obsessed with working, picking at the pores on her nose. She also loved to pop zits. Strange to think this is affiliated with pwBP. Makes sense with the anxiety though. Although not every one with anxiety does such things. Learn something new every day on here.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest