Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 12:55:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I resisted the urge.  (Read 349 times)
BowlOfPetunias

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: October 05, 2016, 08:27:30 AM »

Last night, my wife was turning into a wreck.  She needed to prep for teaching pre-K, but our 7-year-old daughter was throwing tantrums instead of doing her homework.  My wife gave up on getting her to do the homework and asked me to take her upstairs.  I tried to do so, but my wife kept reengaging with her.

The hard part for me is that my wife had no empathy or understanding when I used to prepare lesson plans for teaching college.  She would call me at work--assuming that of course I was not really working because I was not in class--professors have it so easy, you know--and cry and cry about how she could not take it that our infant son was crying.  (She had this idea that she should be able to make him stop crying.  So why wasn't he stopping?)  Keep in mind that she desperately wanted to be a stay-at-home mom and made me feel extremely guilty that she had to return to work--even part time--after a few months.  Her friend C had a husband who could support her, after all.  I would wind up being pulled out of the office and back home without competing my plan for the next day.

Keep in mind that junior faculty members are expected to put in 60 to 80 hours a week.  I wasn't able to put in 40 without being called to rescue her from her own decision.

I was very tempted to say something like, "Now you know how I felt when you wouldn't let me prepare my lesson plans."  But I managed to let it go.

My current job is 9 to 5 and pays well (though we are still broke, of course), but it is not what I want to do.  I have given up looking for the work I want because having interviewed for those jobs I found
1) I would need to take a pay cut (which we certainly can not afford)
2) I would not be able to get the kids to school before I would need to take a bus into the city.  She can't do this because she has to be in early as a pre-K teacher.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

BowlOfPetunias

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 08:37:32 AM »

I forgot to mention that I validated her feelings--"I understand it is frustrating."
teapay

Relationship status: Married 14 years

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 08:50:32 AM »

Sounds like you did great considering the poor circumstances and your own justified frustration.  Kudos.
CrazyChuck

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 09:54:26 AM »

I was very tempted to say something like, "Now you know how I felt when you wouldn't let me prepare my lesson plans."  But I managed to let it go.

Best idea ever. My wife never understands.
ArleighBurke

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: was married - 15 yrs

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 07:23:25 PM »

"... .but my situation is different because <insert crazy unrelated reason here>"

Your journey, your direction. Be the captain!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest