Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 10:03:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My journey with therapy - II  (Read 649 times)
Nuitari

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2016, 09:26:21 PM »

Excerpt
Nutari, I hope you don't mind my saying so, but the more I read your posts the more it appears that your anger today, justifiable though it is, is connected to a deeper, older pain that pre-dates your ex.

You know, I keep thinking about this comment, and I feel like this is what is missing from my therapy, that kind of self-reflection. Instead, my therapist keeps stressing the importance of thought-control, and how I need to force myself to think about things other than this painful experience, more positive things. Maybe she's right, but I feel like I'm being asked to bury all of this. One of my biggest problems is ruminations that I have absolutely no control over. We've spent a lot of time discussing different exercises for breaking those thought patterns and shifting my thoughts to other things. But the truth is I don't want to think about other things because I feel like I haven't addressed the root cause of my problem yet.  
steelwork

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2016, 09:32:26 PM »

Nuitari, have you asked your therapist what framework she favors? It sounds like you would be interested in something along the lines of psychodynamic psychotherapy
www.goodtherapy.org/learn-about-therapy/types/psychodynamic

and your current therapist is working in something closer to a cognitive behavioral mode.
www.goodtherapy.org/learn-about-therapy/types/cognitive-behavioral-therapy

Might be worth a discussion with her, about therapeutic approaches... .

Nuitari

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2016, 09:59:16 PM »

Interesting. I'll look into both of these. I think she might have a valid point when she says a big part of my problem is OCD. But I feel like I haven't even come close to understanding what is really bothering me. OCD doesn't make a man in his 30's break down and cry like an infant.
jhkbuzz

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2016, 04:34:42 AM »

Interesting. I'll look into both of these. I think she might have a valid point when she says a big part of my problem is OCD. But I feel like I haven't even come close to understanding what is really bothering me. OCD doesn't make a man in his 30's break down and cry like an infant.

YES.

I can tell you a couple of things:  my ruminations felt obsessive for a loong time. I'm not OCD, but I definitely have a few tendencies. My ruminations were connected to my need to understand - everything in my life had become such a sh*tstorm of confusion and chaos. Developing that understanding, along with a coherent story of what happened to me, help stop the ruminations (I fell in love with a woman who had significant mental health issues; my experiences in my FOO made me more susceptible to this type of r/s; I was very unhappy when I met her and leaping into the r/s seemed like a way to solve my problems, etc. etc.)

Also: your therapist's approach to dealing with your OCD MIGHT be correct - but it might be the correct solution at the wrong time. I ruminated 24/7 for several MONTHS - the only thing that broke it (believe it or not) was that I happened to play a game with friends that required intense concentration for about 30 minutes. When the game was over I realized I had not thought about her ONCE during the game - and it felt like I had been on vacation for a month! While the ruminations (and my quest for understanding) continued, they continued at a lesser intensity.

And (by the way), not once during these months of rumination did my therapist suggest that I needed to "focus on something else". I understand why you feel like you're being ask to bury something. I think that impulse you have - NOT to bury - is a very good one. Trust your instincts. As another poster wisely said, it sounds like your therapist's approach might be different from what you need.

Can I ask if you've experienced trauma in your life? Share what you feel comfortable sharing. There are more than the two approaches to therapy mentioned above... .

Nuitari

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2016, 11:15:23 PM »

I can tell you a couple of things:  my ruminations felt obsessive for a loong time. I'm not OCD, but I definitely have a few tendencies. My ruminations were connected to my need to understand - everything in my life had become such a sh*tstorm of confusion and chaos. Developing that understanding, along with a coherent story of what happened to me, help stop the ruminations (I fell in love with a woman who had significant mental health issues; my experiences in my FOO made me more susceptible to this type of r/s; I was very unhappy when I met her and leaping into the r/s seemed like a way to solve my problems, etc. etc.)

I think this is what I want as well. I'm still trying to process everything that's happened. What was wrong with her? How much of her actions were due to a mental illness and how much was actually conscious manipulation? And what was wrong with me? Why did I do the things I did? Why do I feel so much hate towards her? None of what happened makes any sense, and I need it too. Its hard for me to see how I can move on without first having an understanding of what happened.

Excerpt
Also: your therapist's approach to dealing with your OCD MIGHT be correct - but it might be the correct solution at the wrong time. I ruminated 24/7 for several MONTHS - the only thing that broke it (believe it or not) was that I happened to play a game with friends that required intense concentration for about 30 minutes. When the game was over I realized I had not thought about her ONCE during the game - and it felt like I had been on vacation for a month! While the ruminations (and my quest for understanding) continued, they continued at a lesser intensity.

For me its been two years, and still there is absolutely no way that I can do what you just described. My ruminations have become all-consuming. They're always with me. Some nights I don't sleep. I can't even follow a movie anymore because I'm lost in my thoughts. One day I had to end a class 15 minutes early because I couldn't concentrate on my lecture. I virtually have no attention span anymore outside of my own ruminations. Sometimes I don't even hear people who are talking to me. Sometimes I hear them initially but then eventually just tune them out because they won't shut up. It takes so much energy to even listen to other people. I feel like my intrusive thoughts are isolating me from the rest of the world. This is why my therapist is so insistent that I try to focus on other things. But most of the time I don't have the will.  

Excerpt
And (by the way), not once during these months of rumination did my therapist suggest that I needed to "focus on something else". I understand why you feel like you're being ask to bury something. I think that impulse you have - NOT to bury - is a very good one.

My therapist says that I'm caught in a loop. She says that indulging in my ruminations will only make them stronger, and I'll never pull myself out of this unless I make a conscious effort to control my thoughts and direct my attention elsewhere. I replay some pretty negative stuff in my head over and over. Its like I'm not fully convinced of the facts yet. They still haven't become "real" for me yet, if that makes sense. Replaying terrible memories in my head for two years hasn't helped me to process my experience. They only provide fuel for my hate. So I can see her point. And yet, I can't deny the feeling that I haven't even scratched the surface of what's really tormenting me, and focusing on other things just feels like running away from the problem instead of being the solution.

Excerpt
Trust your instincts.

This is what I'm afraid of, because I don't like what my instincts are telling me. No matter how much thinking I do, I keep coming back to the same conclusion over and over. Until I communicate to my ex exactly how she's made me feel (something I never had the backbone to do before) and come clean to the husband about everything, I'm not going to be okay. Until I can do that, the hate is going to eat away at me. It might mess up my life in a lot of other ways, but mentally I'd be in a much better place than I am now. My therapist says that this desire is being fueled by my OCD. So its hard for me to trust my instincts when I'm being told that they're part of a sickness. My therapist, as well as some members here, have told me that I should be proud of myself for going two years without giving into those urges. But I don't feel proud. I feel ashamed that I haven't found it in me to do what I feel I need to do to move on. I am mystified by the fact that I've thus far chosen to ignore those compulsions. I hope its because there is a healthy part of me that is in control of that unhealthy OCD part, as opposed to me not having the backbone to do something that is beneficial for my long-term emotional well-being for fear of further punishment.

Excerpt
Can I ask if you've experienced trauma in your life?

That's the weird thing. I haven't. I keep looking for something in my past that I can point to as a reason for it, but I've always had a very difficult time getting close to and trusting others. There was always a fear that something bad would happen if I did that. So I've always been a recluse. I chose to focus only on my education and then on my career. They were my only source of happiness. I'd even go so far as to say they were my only source of identity. Ironically, the one person who I felt safe trusting turned out to be the devil, and that one fatal mistake cost me everything I worked so hard for. My worst nightmare had come true, and now I am left trying to make some kind of sense out of what happened. How could I have been so careless as to make such a fatal mistake? And how can I ever forgive myself for it? One thing this experience has taught me is that I don't want to be alone anymore. But how can I trust someone else after this? I never want to get that close to anyone ever again. And what about all the hatred that I now feel? Can it really dissipate over time like my therapist says? Or will it manifest itself again in future relationships? These are the questions that I struggle with, and I feel like I can't move on until I figure it all out.  

jhkbuzz

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2016, 01:47:30 PM »

Nuitari - I am going straight from work to an after-work event so I don't have time to respond right now but I definitely will soon - you posted a lot of really insightful stuff about what you're going through and I don't want to respond until I have a chunk of time!
jhkbuzz

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2016, 05:38:24 AM »

Excerpt
I think this is what I want as well. I'm still trying to process everything that's happened. What was wrong with her? How much of her actions were due to a mental illness and how much was actually conscious manipulation? And what was wrong with me? Why did I do the things I did? Why do I feel so much hate towards her? None of what happened makes any sense, and I need it too. Its hard for me to see how I can move on without first having an understanding of what happened.

I think a couple of things can be said here:
1.  I think everyone on these boards struggled with trying to make sense of the chaos of being with a mentally disordered partner. I see that 'quest for understanding" as a natural part of the process of healing from the r/s.
2. Most of us ruminated HARD - for a good long while.
3. Your OCD is greatly compounding #2.

So you have a few goals, right? To create a coherent story of what happened in your life. To stop obsessively ruminating. To get to the bottom of (and perhaps lessen?) your OCD.

Excerpt
My ruminations have become all-consuming. They're always with me. Some nights I don't sleep. I can't even follow a movie anymore because I'm lost in my thoughts. One day I had to end a class 15 minutes early because I couldn't concentrate on my lecture. I virtually have no attention span anymore outside of my own ruminations. Sometimes I don't even hear people who are talking to me. Sometimes I hear them initially but then eventually just tune them out because they won't shut up. It takes so much energy to even listen to other people. I feel like my intrusive thoughts are isolating me from the rest of the world. This is why my therapist is so insistent that I try to focus on other things. But most of the time I don't have the will.

Wow, I'm sorry. That sounds like how I was moving through life for the first month of the r/s. I am also around 2 years post b/u and I can't imagine if I was still experiencing that level of rumination.

This definitely sounds like your OCD, and I understand why your therapist is trying to help you break this thought "loop" that you're caught in. It's hard to understand how you might begin to heal otherwise.

For what it's worth: one of the things that helped me with my own ruminations (they were obsessive for a while) were Buddhist teachings (I was raised Catholic, so this is not a tradition I've ever embraced). In a nutshell, the idea is that most of us believe that we ARE our thoughts - "us" and "our thoughts" are indivisible. But the truth is that we are NOT our thoughts - we can be calm observers of our thoughts, get curious about them, and separate ourselves from the ones that do not bring us peace. I had a recurring "narrative" that played over and over in my head for a long time. (My ex found a replacement immediately and began putting pix all over Facebook). My inner narrative was something like "my life is sh*t. Her life is great. She loves him and she's happy and has forgotten me and I'll never find anyone else."  I wasn't even really aware that I was thinking this - it seemed so self-evidently true that it BECAME true for me for a while. But between reading some buddhist texts (Pema Chodron is my favorite) and my therapist, I began to get CURIOUS about my thoughts. I still remember the day I finally questioned the "my life sh*t/her life is great" story I had been telling myself. I thought, "Hmmmmm... .what's up with that? Why am I telling myself that? It sure makes me feel awful about myself. And it's definitely not even true - she's not magically "cured" from her dissociation and BPD and my life DEFINITELY isn't sh*t. Why am I telling myself that?" For the first time I had pried "me" and "my thoughts" apart and discovered that I had some control over them. It also caused me to look away from her and at myself. I realized that what was behind the thought was the feeling that everything that went wrong in the r/s was my fault (not true), that I would never find someone else (my own self-esteem issues) - that those "thoughts" weren't to be trusted and were a reflection of the healing that I still had to do for myself. And that's not to say that I never had another self-defeating thought; it's a process. I began to "catch" myself when I fell into those thoughts. It was actually very freeing to separate "me" from "my thoughts".

Excerpt
This is what I'm afraid of, because I don't like what my instincts are telling me. No matter how much thinking I do, I keep coming back to the same conclusion over and over. Until I communicate to my ex exactly how she's made me feel (something I never had the backbone to do before) and come clean to the husband about everything, I'm not going to be okay. Until I can do that, the hate is going to eat away at me. It might mess up my life in a lot of other ways, but mentally I'd be in a much better place than I am now. My therapist says that this desire is being fueled by my OCD. So its hard for me to trust my instincts when I'm being told that they're part of a sickness. My therapist, as well as some members here, have told me that I should be proud of myself for going two years without giving into those urges. But I don't feel proud. I feel ashamed that I haven't found it in me to do what I feel I need to do to move on. I am mystified by the fact that I've thus far chosen to ignore those compulsions. I hope its because there is a healthy part of me that is in control of that unhealthy OCD part, as opposed to me not having the backbone to do something that is beneficial for my long-term emotional well-being for fear of further punishment.

I didn't mean that your therapist is completely wrong - just that your instinct that there is more going on that you're not "getting to" is probably true.

Here's what I think - and I could be totally wrong, so don't get mad: I think somewhere inside you believe that confronting the husband is the solution. I don't think it is. It won't magically stop your obsessive thinking, it won't help your OCD, it won't get her back, it probably won't even break up their marriage. It might feel good in the first day or so after, but a week later you will still be lost in the obsessive thinking and trying to heal yourself. Everyone on these boards has been telling you that it's not what you need to do to heal for a reason. It's because it's not what will help you heal - your OCD is lying to you.

I hear a strong "it's so unfair" in all of your writing - and I think that might be part of what you need to explore. That's part of what I suspect is connected to other, older traumas in your life (perhaps trauma is not the word but I can't think of another!)

Excerpt
That's the weird thing. I haven't (experienced trauma). I keep looking for something in my past that I can point to as a reason for it, but I've always had a very difficult time getting close to and trusting others. There was always a fear that something bad would happen if I did that. So I've always been a recluse. I chose to focus only on my education and then on my career. They were my only source of happiness. I'd even go so far as to say they were my only source of identity. Ironically, the one person who I felt safe trusting turned out to be the devil, and that one fatal mistake cost me everything I worked so hard for. My worst nightmare had come true, and now I am left trying to make some kind of sense out of what happened. How could I have been so careless as to make such a fatal mistake? And how can I ever forgive myself for it? One thing this experience has taught me is that I don't want to be alone anymore. But how can I trust someone else after this? I never want to get that close to anyone ever again. And what about all the hatred that I now feel? Can it really dissipate over time like my therapist says? Or will it manifest itself again in future relationships? These are the questions that I struggle with, and I feel like I can't move on until I figure it all out.

There's something to what I bolded. Definitely worth exploring.

A few things: you may not be able to remember trauma, but that doesn't mean it can't be healed. My paternal grandmother, who I became very close to in the last 10 years of her life, told me stories that I had no memory of. Of being slapped in the face as a toddler. Of telling her one day (she lived across the street from us until I was 5 years old) that "I was bad" because my mother said I was. She tried to talk me out of it but I was convinced. I couldn't have been older than 5, and I was probably younger.

I have no memory of this (or of the hundreds of other events that were traumatizing) - so what to do? Here's the thing: trauma doesn't have to be remembered to be healed. But you have to find a trauma specialist. I strongly recommend the book "The Body Keeps the Score" by Bessel Van der Kolk. The idea is very different than traditional "talk" therapy - it's that the nervous system "remembers" trauma and the body holds onto it. An example: I was in therapy one day talking about being molested as a child, and my therapist pointed out that one of my legs began involuntarily kicking as I was talking. I couldn't actually stop it even after she pointed it out. She explained it as a nervous system response - that my 'flight" response during the molestation was thwarted, and my body STILL remembered and was trying to run away. Along with learning to separate myself from my thoughts, I began to pay close attention to my body's responses when I was feeling emotional. It was a revelation.

Those ^ kinds of insights into myself were freeing - and anyone who has been on this journey of healing for a while will tell you that that insight is the "silver lining" in these traumatizing r/s's that we've experienced. But we won't ever get to that type of understanding of ourselves if we remain stuck and focused on others. That's' why you've been so strongly encouraged not to act on your impulses.

I hope at least some of this helps you, Nuitari. 

www.wildmind.org/blogs/on-practice/stepping-out-of-obsessive-thinking

CollateralDamage

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2016, 11:16:49 AM »

Call me simplistic here, but my experience (including BPD ex gf being married) is almost exactly the same as yours. My experience afterwards was almost exactly the same as well.  So here is what I learned and maybe this can cast a different light on what might be going on in your mind.

By nature, I am very analytical and inquisitive.  When things don't line up logically I really have a hard time with processing the who, what, whys etc. Instead of experiencing the emotional feelings that pop up, I will send that energy to my brain and start to get all up in my head.  This is not good and a lot of my work has been to just experience my emotions and breath. Basically I had to think of a filter between my heart and mind which would block and emotional aspects from entering. Many times with me before the filter was installed (Smiling (click to insert in post)) I would "act up" when I felt anxious, nervous, empty, out of control, too little drama (because the drama is addictive with BPD)... .I would send that ___ up to my brain and then ACT OUT.  Playing Sherlock Holmes and trying to figure out why things happened, why she did the crap she did, etc.  My therapist taught me how to just experience the feeling without thought being tied to it.  It worked for me.  I still get these feelings but now I take 2-3 minutes, breath and even pat myself where I perceive the pain to be.  The feeling reduces significantly... .then I move on with what I was doing.

I was exactly like you.  I had the best and worse treatment ever, and she still tries to pop back into my life to see if the attachment is still there.  I had her husband doing the same basic thing of trying to protect what was his, but at the end of the day she violated both of us. SHE was the common problem, triangulating you and against him and vise versa.  She was of free will to choose  you, him or neither. Problem is she, like mine, was not capable of logic.  She played the both card and it was a matter of time till someone got hurt. These are my perceptions, but I agree with you 1000% that she had free will to do the right thing, but her disability warped what was considered right. She was only after what was right for her.

Hopefully, this might help if you try to just experience your feelings/emotions and prevent them from becoming thought.  Don't try to associate WHY you feel that way with them, just let them come and go.  It did wonders for me.
Nuitari

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2016, 10:52:04 PM »

jhkbuzz,

Thank you for your post. I've been in therapy for five months now, and it is occuring to me that I haven't even actually started therapy yet. I'm still at square one. My therapist does all the right things. She listens, and seems very sympathetic to what I'm going through. She offers a lot of good advice and shows me new ways of looking at things. But none of it changes how I feel. I leave every session feeling frustrated. Take yesterday, for example. We talked a lot about my desire to contact the husband. She put forward a lot of good arguments why I shouldn't, some of which she's already told me countless times before. On an intellectual level I have to agree with everything she's telling me, but it in no dissuades me from what I feel I have to do. Yesterday's session went fairly well, and yet it did nothing for me. I left feeling no better than when I had walked in. In fact I kinda felt worse because I couldn't offer up a single rebuttal to her arguments. I had to concede that she made good points, but it didn't change my state of mind in any way. I feel helpless. I guess I've been hoping that therapy was going to change my mind about calling my ex's husband, but I don't think that's going to happen. Clearly I'm not getting something from therapy that I'm supposed to be. When I'm in my therapy sessions, I feel like a smoker, and someone is explaining to me the science of why cigarettes are bad, as if that alone is supposed to help me. I can follow the reasoning, and even agree with it, but just knowing the link between smoking and health issues is not going to lessen my cravings for a cigarette.

Excerpt
So you have a few goals, right? To create a coherent story of what happened in your life. To stop obsessively ruminating. To get to the bottom of (and perhaps lessen?) your OCD.

Maybe I can do the first one, but those other two I highlighted seem impossible. Half a year of therapy, and I still don't even know how to begin doing those. My therapist and I have gone over a lot of excercises for breaking ruminations, and focusing on more positive things, but I can't even say that I've made an honest effort at doing that. I feel like I haven't even gotten to the point where I'm capable of even making that effort, much less being successful at it.

Excerpt
Wow, I'm sorry. That sounds like how I was moving through life for the first month of the r/s. I am also around 2 years post b/u and I can't imagine if I was still experiencing that level of rumination.

This definitely sounds like your OCD, and I understand why your therapist is trying to help you break this thought "loop" that you're caught in. It's hard to understand how you might begin to heal otherwise.

Here's a great example of what I'm struggling with. My ex was very sexually active, and after her husband returned home, I have reason to believe that they had a threesome with a woman he works with, and I'm stuck with those images in my head and it makes me hate her. I'm not sure exactly why it bothers me so much. I'm not the judgemental type, and I don't see anything morally wrong it. We were no longer in a relationship, but she was still always going on and on about how much she loved me and how she wished she could be with me. The thought that she could so easily have sex with anyone so soon after everything that happened between she and I hurts, and if she was doing that, the least she could have done was be respectful enough of me to stay away and let me move on. It makes me see just how insignificant I really was to her. I bring this up because this is something I'm stuck on. I need to be okay with it before I move on, so I keep thinking about it over and over, trying to be okay with it. But how can I be okay with it? But I can't move on otherwise? I'm trapped in a loop, and something at some point has to give. How can I ever be in an intimate relationship after all this insanity? That's what I mean when I say my life was ruined. I'm not just talking about my job. I feel like I've been seriously damaged, and I don't know how to communicate that to my therapist.

Excerpt
For what it's worth: one of the things that helped me with my own ruminations (they were obsessive for a while) were Buddhist teachings (I was raised Catholic, so this is not a tradition I've ever embraced). In a nutshell, the idea is that most of us believe that we ARE our thoughts - "us" and "our thoughts" are indivisible. But the truth is that we are NOT our thoughts - we can be calm observers of our thoughts, get curious about them, and separate ourselves from the ones that do not bring us peace. I had a recurring "narrative" that played over and over in my head for a long time. (My ex found a replacement immediately and began putting pix all over Facebook). My inner narrative was something like "my life is sh*t. Her life is great. She loves him and she's happy and has forgotten me and I'll never find anyone else." I wasn't even really aware that I was thinking this - it seemed so self-evidently true that it BECAME true for me for a while. But between reading some buddhist texts (Pema Chodron is my favorite) and my therapist, I began to get CURIOUS about my thoughts. I still remember the day I finally questioned the "my life sh*t/her life is great" story I had been telling myself. I thought, "Hmmmmm... .what's up with that? Why am I telling myself that? It sure makes me feel awful about myself. And it's definitely not even true - she's not magically "cured" from her dissociation and BPD and my life DEFINITELY isn't sh*t. Why am I telling myself that?" For the first time I had pried "me" and "my thoughts" apart and discovered that I had some control over them. It also caused me to look away from her and at myself. I realized that what was behind the thought was the feeling that everything that went wrong in the r/s was my fault (not true), that I would never find someone else (my own self-esteem issues) - that those "thoughts" weren't to be trusted and were a reflection of the healing that I still had to do for myself. And that's not to say that I never had another self-defeating thought; it's a process. I began to "catch" myself when I fell into those thoughts. It was actually very freeing to separate "me" from "my thoughts".

I like Buddhism a lot. Several years ago, I got really into Buddhism and did lots of reading. But the truth is I haven't found the strength to make those kind of efforts. I am in a complete state of feeling right now. There is no thinking, just feeling. Its like that is the only part of me that has survived. I'm trying really hard to care what my therapist says to me, and the tips that you and others are giving me, but all I want to do is call my ex's husband and get even. I still haven't learned to care about anything else. I can't even make those initial steps to recovery because I still don't know how to get comfortable with the idea of moving on and letting go without first doing something to relieve what I'm feeling.

Excerpt
Here's what I think - and I could be totally wrong, so don't get mad: I think somewhere inside you believe that confronting the husband is the solution.

You're absolutely right. I think that confronting the husband is what I need to do to move on, and deep down I feel like I've already made that decision. I think my reasons aren't just due to OCD. I feel like I have a legitimate need. I don't show emotions well. I never have. Where most people will get highly emotional, I will just freeze up in the same situation. I don't know what's wrong with me, but its always been a big problem for me. I think its a big part of why I haven't acted on my feelings yet. No matter what, I always feel that I have to appear calm, and it takes a huge effort to show what I'm feeling to the outside world. And when I do, all I'm capable of showing is a small fraction of what I'm feeling. As a result, I took a lot of crap from my ex that I shouldn't have. Even before losing my job, I was already in a very bad place, and didn't have the backbone to tell my ex how her actions were making me feel. Even after I lost my job, I still remained outwardly calm. I never could find a voice of my own. And now when I look back I am discusted with how I just sat back and calmly watched as someone destroyed everything I worked so hard to attain. Its becoming too much for me to hold in. And now I just want to shout at them for a little while. How can someone go through what I went through and NOT have an emotional outburst? That's the problem. I never had one, and I think I'm entitled. Her husband got to have one, and his experience was nowhere near as traumatic as mine. How can I just take all of that crap from her, and then continue to remain silent because I'm affraid of what else might happen to me?

Excerpt
I hear a strong "it's so unfair" in all of your writing

I feel like I'm the only one who can see the injustice in what has happened. My whole life fell apart, and I'm not sure if I'll ever be okay again. I've been scarred in some deep way that I still don't understand, and yet I'm not supposed to do anything that might inconvenience their lives in any way.

My ex should have been straight up with me from the beginning. She should have told me "My husband is away, and I am very lonely and sexually frustrated, and I'm looking for temporary companionship until he comes back. So if you're interested, I've decided that you'll do." Instead what I hear from her is how she's finally found her soulmate, how I was the first man she's ever loved, etc. No one had ever made me feel more loved than she did. She made me think we had a future together. When I look back, her actions told a very different story from her words. She played with my feelings. I had to lose the one other thing I cared about so that she could use me for her own temporary needs. She didn't even deny it when I called her out on it. My therapist keeps saying that I'm not a victim, but I don't buy that. I was victimized and emotionally abused by her in so many ways, to the point where I absolutely had to cut myself off from her, only to have her husband accuse me of trying to steal his wife. But once again, I never even tried to speak up in my own defense. Can anyone really blame me for wanting to expose her to him?

I feel so betrayed by her. I know that must sound silly because, if anyone should feel betrayed by her, its her husband, not some guy she had been sleeping with behind his back. But he doesn't even know that we had an affair. He thinks I was just some guy who was harrassing his poor wife at school. I'm pretty sure its the husband who is supposed to feel betrayed in situations like these, not the other guy. But all of the pain and feelings of betrayal that should belong to him, I got them all. Not only that, but I had lose my job too. All the bad stuff fell on me while he got to do this really shallow and vindictive thing and continue to have the illusion of having a loving and faithful wife. As usual, I remained silent when I should have spoken up. I let myself be a scapgoat so that this guy's marriage can continue uninterupted while my world was falling apart. My ex always said that it would kill him if he ever found out about the affair. I did this guy a big favor by not telling him, after he didn't hesitate to ruin my career. So, yeah, I think it is very unfair. I feel like I've spent the past two years whining about this, and at some point I'm going to have to grow a backbone and stop whining and actually do something.

Excerpt
I strongly recommend the book "The Body Keeps the Score" by Bessel Van der Kolk. The idea is very different than traditional "talk" therapy - it's that the nervous system "remembers" trauma and the body holds onto it. An example: I was in therapy one day talking about being molested as a child, and my therapist pointed out that one of my legs began involuntarily kicking as I was talking. I couldn't actually stop it even after she pointed it out. She explained it as a nervous system response - that my 'flight" response during the molestation was thwarted, and my body STILL remembered and was trying to run away. Along with learning to separate myself from my thoughts, I began to pay close attention to my body's responses when I was feeling emotional. It was a revelation.

That sounds like an interesting book, and I do appreciate all the advice you and others have given me. But I can't calm down enough to read a book, much less make efforts to devote my mind to other things. A while back my therapist suggested some meditation techniques for helping me with my anger. She gave me links to some youtube videos on meditation. I tried. But all the videos I watched started with "quite your mind and relax your body." That was just step one! And I can't even do that! I would love to be able to quite my mind and relax my body. For me that is a goal in and of itself. But evidently that is only a prerequisite for the meditation I was expected to do. I have a hard time communicating myself, so I don't blame my therapist one bit for underestimating how intense my emotions are. She doesn't see them. No one does. But what I'm feeling is not anger, its hate. I know my therapist meant well, and was only trying to help, so I didn't take it personally, but I couldn't help but be a little insulted that she would think so light of my situation as to expect youtube videos to be of any help. I'm far beyond being helped by youtube videos. I honestly tried to watch those videos and follow the instructions, but all it was doing was making me angrier. I had to stop when I started having another anxiety attack. All of her suggested ways for moving on are passive in nature. I need to do something. That's all I can feel now, an overwhelming need to lash out. All other avenues only lead to more anger. I feel like I only have one option. After five months of therapy, I'm still not seeing an alternative to contacting the husband. I'm actually affraid because I think I'm going to throw my job away again.

The truth is I cannot yet move on because, OCD or not, I haven't addressed the real issue here, whatever that is. I am feeling pretty low right now because I just don't see therapy working for me. I began therapy with my mind already made up, and I don't think any amount of talking is going to change that now. My therapist is going on maternity leave soon, and I'm supposed to see a colleque of her's in her absence. Part of me would like to believe that this new therapist will be a better fit, but I'm pretty sure its going to be the same story all over again, because the problem isn't with my therapist. I think its with me. I can't begin to get well until I actually want to stop obsessing, but how do make myself want to stop? What am I missing?

Can it be that my problems are just too severe for conventional therapy? I feel so overwhelmed, and a one hour a week therapy session just isn't cutting it. I feel like I'm trying to put out a forest fire with a water pistol.
Nuitari

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2016, 11:15:33 PM »

CollateralDamage,

Thanks for your post.

Excerpt
was exactly like you.  I had the best and worse treatment ever, and she still tries to pop back into my life to see if the attachment is still there.  I had her husband doing the same basic thing of trying to protect what was his, but at the end of the day she violated both of us. SHE was the common problem, triangulating you and against him and vise versa.  She was of free will to choose  you, him or neither. Problem is she, like mine, was not capable of logic.  She played the both card and it was a matter of time till someone got hurt. These are my perceptions, but I agree with you 1000% that she had free will to do the right thing, but her disability warped what was considered right. She was only after what was right for her.

I am also very analytical, and I think this is why I have such a hard time understanding her husband's reaction to all this. I certainly don't expect him to think highly of me, but he made some pretty far out assumptions about someone he didn't know; that I was a womanizer, that I was pursuing his wife because it was a game for me, that I was pursuing all of my female students, etc. I can't help but be insulted at his baseless accusations. Anyone who knows me would laugh at those accusations. Even if his beliefs were true, why should he care, unless he can't trust his spouse? That was his real problem, he couldn't trust her, but wanted to punish me for it. I don't get that. He behaved as if she were a piece of property. When she behaved badly, he saw it as me trying to "steal" her. I never saw her as an inanimate object, but an individual making her own choices, and I respected them no matter what, and I guess I thought he would do the same. When she finally told me that she was going to remain in her marriage, I accepted it. I certainly didn't like, but I respected her decision, and I never put any pressure on her to do otherwise. So he's got a lot of nerve accusing me of trying to persuade her to leave him. I think in his effed up view of things, he and I were fighting over her, and he won. But that's not what happened at all. I accepted that she was going to remain with him, and he needlessly lashed out at me when she continued be clingy.

Excerpt
By nature, I am very analytical and inquisitive.  When things don't line up logically I really have a hard time with processing the who, what, whys etc. Instead of experiencing the emotional feelings that pop up, I will send that energy to my brain and start to get all up in my head.  This is not good and a lot of my work has been to just experience my emotions and breath. Basically I had to think of a filter between my heart and mind which would block and emotional aspects from entering. Many times with me before the filter was installed () I would "act up" when I felt anxious, nervous, empty, out of control, too little drama (because the drama is addictive with BPD)... .I would send that please read up to my brain and then ACT OUT.  Playing Sherlock Holmes and trying to figure out why things happened, why she did the crap she did, etc.  My therapist taught me how to just experience the feeling without thought being tied to it.  It worked for me.  I still get these feelings but now I take 2-3 minutes, breath and even pat myself where I perceive the pain to be.  The feeling reduces significantly... .then I move on with what I was doing.

My therapist said something similar. She said I'm not allowing myself to feel the pain. She said all the anger I'm feeling is a defense mechanism, that our brains will trade pain for anger whenever possible because anger is more empowering. She said it might help me a lot if I just allow myself to experience the pain. The problem is I don't know how. All I feel is hate.

jhkbuzz

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2016, 08:25:19 AM »

Here's something that may settle your mind a bit: the real work in therapy doesn't happen until you're a least a year in. You're not "behind" in any way. Therapy is about a relationship - and those don't develop quickly. Settle in: you're in for the long haul. There are no quick fixes.

Excerpt
She listens, and seems very sympathetic to what I'm going through. She offers a lot of good advice and shows me new ways of looking at things. But none of it changes how I feel.

Ah... .the epic battle between the intellect and the heart. It's an AWFUL battle (ask me how I know). I understand what you're saying here - all the logical arguments in the world aren't effective because emotion doesn't respond to logic. There is a neurological basis for this (it involves our brain structure). You're not alone in this.

Excerpt
I left feeling no better than when I had walked in. In fact I kinda felt worse because I couldn't offer up a single rebuttal to her arguments. I had to concede that she made good points, but it didn't change my state of mind in any way.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that it didn't change your emotional state in any way? That's why your therapist and the people who post on these boards can't convince you that you shouldn't contact her husband - because you're being driven by your emotions in this. I know how that feels - the heart wants what it wants and no amount of logic can influence that.

Excerpt
My ex was very sexually active, and after her husband returned home, I have reason to believe that they had a threesome with a woman he works with, and I'm stuck with those images in my head and it makes me hate her. I'm not sure exactly why it bothers me so much. I'm not the judgemental type, and I don't see anything morally wrong it. We were no longer in a relationship, but she was still always going on and on about how much she loved me and how she wished she could be with me. The thought that she could so easily have sex with anyone so soon after everything that happened between she and I hurts... .

There's ^ an example of that "epic battle" between the heart and the head. "I'm not the judgemental type... .I don't see anything morally wrong with it... .we were no longer in a r/s... ." = head: calm the hell down! You don't even have a RIGHT to be upset about this! Versus: "she was still always going on and on about how much she loved me and how she wished she could be with me... .how could she so easily have sex with anyone so soon after everything that happened between she and I... ." = heart: absolutely searing pain, like a hot, sharpened knife through your gut.

Again, I completely understand - I was in a committed r/s for 8 years and my ex slept with a guy she worked with. I have NEVER experienced pain like that before in my life - I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. The images I couldn't get out of my head, my anger at how the words she said (loved me, needed me) were the exact opposite of her actions. All of it, I understand. This is where the "cry like a baby" kicks in - yes? For me, what was underlying all of this pain was a single cry from my heart: "How could you say you loved me and then do this to me - rip me completely apart?" I cried about this for months.

Excerpt
It makes me see just how insignificant I really was to her.

Ah... .be careful here. This is just like my "my life is sh*t/her life is great" narrative that isn't true. IT'S NOT TRUE - stop telling yourself this. Here is your story that is closer to the truth: I became romantically involved with an unstable woman who cared for me in her way, for as long as she could, but the disorder interfered. It always does, Nuitari. That doesn't mean you were insignificant to her at ALL.

Excerpt
It makes me see just how insignificant I really was to her. I bring this up because this is something I'm stuck on. I need to be okay with it before I move on, so I keep thinking about it over and over, trying to be okay with it. But how can I be okay with it? But I can't move on otherwise? I'm trapped in a loop, and something at some point has to give.

Of course you can't get "comfortable" with being "insignificant"! What you might consider is changing this thought - you're NOT insignificant, she DID care about you - but you also made some mistakes, right? Getting involved with a married student, for example. (NOT judging here - but it was likely that this would end badly from the start). Getting involved with someone who, when you look back on it, was clearly unstable. At some point (when you begin to resolve your strong emotions about her), you will begin looking at your choices in this situation and why you made them.

Here's part of the reason for your choices:  You said: I've always had a very difficult time getting close to and trusting others. There was always a fear that something bad would happen if I did that. So I've always been a recluse. And in one of your very first posts you said: Despite all the inherent problems of a BPD relationship, there are also a lot of amazing things about it too... .when they are at their best, the relationship is wonderful.  I don't know if it was her BPD, or if we just naturally clicked, but I never felt that level of closeness with anyone, and I'm afraid I'll never find that again.

Some of your anger is tied up with your fears, and getting to the bottom of your fears (of getting close to and trusting people; of never being in another r/s) - THAT is your work today. But you can't begin that work until you resolve your bitter disappointment: that this person who "cured" your lifelong (negative) narrative about yourself suddenly cut and ran. Now you're left with the same narrative about yourself - one which honestly predates your ex - and it's easier to be angry with her than to examine why you have had these fears and issues for your entire life. Again, ask me how I know.    I FINALLY began to get past my anger and hurt at my ex when I started to recognize that my post b/u pain wasn't all about my ex: it was about all of my hopes and dreams for the r/s that were now dead - along with my fears about myself that were triggered when we broke up. My fear that I wasn't worthy of love; my fear that I could never have a r/s and all those things that go along with it. But then I started to get curious about WHY I've struggled with that for so long - which is a story for another thread.  Suffice to say that no one else could "cure" these issues of mine with their love for me - just like I couldn't cure my ex's BPD with my love for her. My self esteem and feelings of worthiness have to come from within me - because placing them in someone else's hands is a dangerous proposition.

Excerpt
I feel like I've been seriously damaged, and I don't know how to communicate that to my therapist.

When we're experiencing very strong emotions, our ability to communicate clearly is impaired. There is actually a neurological reason for this. I would suggest you print out this entire thread and hand it to your therapist. I think it would be very, very valuable. (I would sometimes type things out to give to my therapist because I knew when we were face to face the words wouldn't come to me.)

Excerpt
I like Buddhism a lot. Several years ago, I got really into Buddhism and did lots of reading. But the truth is I haven't found the strength to make those kind of efforts. I am in a complete state of feeling right now. There is no thinking, just feeling.
In some ways, I think you're running from what you're feeling. That's the reason for all the focus on your ex and her husband - because, painful though it is, it's actually easier than looking at your own pain and fears.

Excerpt
I still don't know how to get comfortable with the idea of moving on and letting go without first doing something to relieve what I'm feeling.
You have convinced yourself (there are those pesky thoughts again!) that contacting the husband is the only thing you can "do" to relieve what you're feeling. It is certainly one of the things you can do - but it feels like your only option because you've believed the thought that it is the only  thing that will help you. You are wrong about this - but I won't try to continue to convince you; you have to come to it on your own. There are other options. Like exploring this:

Excerpt
I don't show emotions well. I never have. Where most people will get highly emotional, I will just freeze up in the same situation.

That ^ is a nervous system response (fight, flight, freeze). There are reasons for this. Begin to pay attention to what you're feeling in your body during these situations.

Excerpt
I don't know what's wrong with me, but its always been a big problem for me. I think its a big part of why I haven't acted on my feelings yet. No matter what, I always feel that I have to appear calm, and it takes a huge effort to show what I'm feeling to the outside world. And when I do, all I'm capable of showing is a small fraction of what I'm feeling.

This "freeze" is a survival response. It's not random - it likely helped you in situations that were dangerous (or that you perceived as dangerous) a long time ago - likely in childhood.

Excerpt
As a result, I took a lot of crap from my ex that I shouldn't have. Even before losing my job, I was already in a very bad place, and didn't have the backbone to tell my ex how her actions were making me feel. Even after I lost my job, I still remained outwardly calm. I never could find a voice of my own. And now when I look back I am disgusted with how I just sat back and calmly watched as someone destroyed everything I worked so hard to attain. Its becoming too much for me to hold in. And now I just want to shout at them for a little while. How can someone go through what I went through and NOT have an emotional outburst? That's the problem. I never had one, and I think I'm entitled. Her husband got to have one, and his experience was nowhere near as traumatic as mine. How can I just take all of that crap from her, and then continue to remain silent because I'm afraid of what else might happen to me?

This "voicelessness" is often one that arises in childhood as well. All of this is VERY worth exploring with your therapist.

Perhaps you would consider that some of this intense anger you're feeling is an anger towards yourself? For remaining silent? For remaining calm? For not standing up for yourself? Your overwhelming desire to confront her husband is really about ALL of the occasions in your life that you were silent, you were calm and you didn't stand up for yourself in situations where most other people would have practiced self-care and said, "NO! That's not okay! You've crossed a boundary. I'm UPSET." Instead, you freeze. As if your life depends on it? Why? I'm guessing the bodily sensations you feel when you choose NOT to respond is an anxiety in the pit of your stomach. Am I right? If so, there are reasons for that.

So it might feel good to confront her husband - and you might decide to go ahead and do it - but confronting her husband won't get to the root of your voicelessness.

Excerpt
I feel so betrayed by her. I know that must sound silly because, if anyone should feel betrayed by her, its her husband, not some guy she had been sleeping with behind his back. But he doesn't even know that we had an affair. He thinks I was just some guy who was harassing his poor wife at school. I'm pretty sure its the husband who is supposed to feel betrayed in situations like these, not the other guy. But all of the pain and feelings of betrayal that should belong to him, I got them all. Not only that, but I had lose my job too. All the bad stuff fell on me while he got to do this really shallow and vindictive thing and continue to have the illusion of having a loving and faithful wife. As usual, I remained silent when I should have spoken up. I let myself be a scapegoat so that this guy's marriage can continue uninterrupted while my world was falling apart. My ex always said that it would kill him if he ever found out about the affair. I did this guy a big favor by not telling him, after he didn't hesitate to ruin my career. So, yeah, I think it is very unfair. I feel like I've spent the past two years whining about this, and at some point I'm going to have to grow a backbone and stop whining and actually do something.

I don't believe any of this. There marriage is not "perfect" or uninterrupted. I can tell you that even while my ex was sleeping with the guy she worked with and I didn't know, our r/s was as far from perfect as you can get. He has not escaped "unscathed" while you bear all the burden. Stop telling yourself this - it's not true. He has a wife with BPD and you are likely not the first affair she's had. He knows, just like, in the back of my mind, I knew. I just didn't want to believe it.

Excerpt
My therapist is going on maternity leave soon, and I'm supposed to see a colleague of her's in her absence. Part of me would like to believe that this new therapist will be a better fit, but I'm pretty sure its going to be the same story all over again, because the problem isn't with my therapist. I think its with me. I can't begin to get well until I actually want to stop obsessing, but how do make myself want to stop? What am I missing? Can it be that my problems are just too severe for conventional therapy? I feel so overwhelmed, and a one hour a week therapy session just isn't cutting it. I feel like I'm trying to put out a forest fire with a water pistol.

Funny, this "changing of therapists" happened to me as well. I liked my first therapist, but it was my second therapist (who adheres to the view that trauma and it's aftermath is primarily a nervous system response that can be healed) that really helped me.

It's funny that you keep saying that you feel you need to "do" something. My therapist had me kick; squeeze a pillow; stand and push against a wall while I was talking... .we didn't do this at every session, but behind it is the idea that the body needs to "finish" the nervous system response that was thwarted during the original trauma. Believe it or not, it helped me.
Reforming

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2016, 03:15:23 PM »

Hi Nuitari,

I think jhkbuzz has offered some very wise advice.

It's not easy picking up the pieces and rebuilding your life but it's definitely possible. Forgive me for being a bit brutal but your pain is not unique. A lot of us here have experienced trauma and grief at the loss of families, marriages and long term relationships and damaged careers.  Like jhkbuzz my ex cheated on me in a long term relationship. It was utterly devastating and the chaos and hurt flooded through every part of my life. Whenever I allow myself to slip into a victim mentality I just end up angry and powerless so I make a conscious choice to reject victimhood and take responsibility for my own life and happiness in what ever way I can.

The cornerstone of this is personal responsibility. Owning our choices.

Excerpt
it is my fault that I lost my job. That's all on me. I knew from the very beginning that I was risking my job, but at the time that was ok because I thought I found something better!

This is the truth. Full Stop. You lost your job because you had an affair with a student. Everything else is just static.

You feel cheated that the gamble didn't pay off. I understand that it hurt and it's tough but nobody forced you to have an affair. You chose to. Your affair was not about her husband or the quality of their marriage. It was about you and her. Her husband had nothing to do with it... .

Excerpt
She spoke highly of her husband and said that they had always had a happy marriage

Excerpt
The husband returned home, and things got really messy. I get the impression that they had a pretty good marriage up to that point, and he couldn't understand her sudden animosity and lack of feelings for him. He blamed me for turning his wife against him. Long story short, he convinces her not to leave him. And now, two years later, she's convinced that he loves her and genuinely cannot understand her attitude toward him when he was away.

When you have an affair with a married man or woman you're getting involved with someone who:

1. is not fully available
2. is willing to deceive their partner, family etc
3. lacks the emotional maturity to confront / resolve the problems and challenges that come with most relationships
4. has chosen to begin another relationship without concluding the one they're already in

This is why the outcomes of affairs are typically very poor.

You've never gone in the details of how her husband contacted the school but given the circumstances his behaviour is hardly surprising. He had no reason to believe you when you said that relationship was over. Given the circumstances he had very good reason to distrust you completely.
He stood to loose an awful lot: his wife, his family, his home and his children. Most people would fight to try and keep their family together.

Excerpt
I need that marriage to fall apart"
Excerpt
All I keep thinking is how sick this world is if she and her husband can somehow reconcile and be happy after wrecking someone's life

When you think on your need for revenge - and yes we're talking about revenge here - it's worth thinking about the children. Do they deserve to be caught in the fallout?

Sending a letter to her husband is complete the opposite to detachment. Have you considered the that it's actually a way of reconnecting with her.

There are other strategies, skills and techniques which would probably help your ruminations. Mindfulness, journaling, inner child dialogues. All of these require effort and persistence but they do work. You might not believe that you can find the energy or the focus to do these but others have

I'm not judging your T but it might be worth both rethinking your therapist and the type of therapy you've chosen.

I also did a fair bit of research into different therapies before I chose one - Schema therapy. I also worked with a couple of different Ts before I found one I was happy with.

In my experience to get the best out of therapy you need to make a conscious effort to practice the skills you're trying to learn every day. It may well feel completely frustrating and fruitless but one day a week is not going to reboot your thinking.

The bigger question is why this relationship has had such a profound effect on you

Excerpt
Before my relationship with my borderline, I had been alone for several years. I didn't date much and considered myself a loner. I didn't feel a need to be in a relationship. I didn't need someone to complete me to be happy, and I was never lonely. At least that's what I always told myself. My borderline made me question all of this. She woke something up in me

Borderlines have a way of knocking down that walls that we build around ourselves. She seems to have opened up parts of you that were locked away. A lot of us have experienced this.

Excerpt
I've always had a low opinion of myself. I don't know where that comes from. I grew up in a loving family. But my insecurities have created huge problems for my social life. My ex is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. I never would have guessed in a million years that a woman like her, who could have her pick of any man she wanted, would be interested in me. I'll never know what she saw in me. I sometimes wonder if she sensed those insecurities and decided from it that I would be easy prey. Whatever the case, she put me on a pedestal. She made me feel special

This goes right to the heart of a relationship with a borderline. This is what you need to explore with your T.

Excerpt
She was unique, and I'm afraid I'll never find with someone else what I had with her. What I'm finding hard to process is the knowledge that, while she was unique, I wasn't.

This is hard - accepting that something we felt was very special and unique wasn't what we believed it was. It needs to be be grieved.

Change and progress is about tiny incremental steps - persisting with healthy strategies and skills. Often we don't even notice that we're making progress until one day when the world feels suddenly brighter.

Good luck

Reforming

Nuitari

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2016, 12:14:29 PM »

jhkbuzz,

I want to thank you for taking the time to reply to my comments in such a thorough way.  It is clear from your writings that you do get where I'm coming from, and just knowing that someone gets it is a huge comfort. Your post made my day a little more bearable, and I appreciate that.

Excerpt
Again, I completely understand - I was in a committed r/s for 8 years and my ex slept with a guy she worked with. I have NEVER experienced pain like that before in my life - I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. The images I couldn't get out of my head, my anger at how the words she said (loved me, needed me) were the exact opposite of her actions. All of it, I understand. This is where the "cry like a baby" kicks in - yes? For me, what was underlying all of this pain was a single cry from my heart: "How could you say you loved me and then do this to me - rip me completely apart?" I cried about this for months.

You nailed it. Now, even if I can put an end to my obsessive-compulsive thoughts, I still have no clue how I am going to remove that pain that you just perfectly described. At least I've been provided with exercises for reducing my OCD, but what in the hell am I supposed to do about the pain and emptiness I feel? Learn to live with it? I'm afraid it’s become debilitating. How can I ever trust anyone else again? I'm not sure I can handle another experience like this again. I hope you don't mind me asking, but have you dated at all sense your ex? And if so, how has that been going? Has your trauma had any lasting effects in terms of trusting and allowing yourself to actually feel things for someone? The only way I have found to detach from my ex has been to utterly exterminate those feelings. All I have left to feel now is hate. I'm left with a nagging sensation that I've killed those feelings permanently, not just where my ex is concerned. I don't know if I'll ever get them back. I'm not even sure I want them back.

Excerpt
Here is your story that is closer to the truth: I became romantically involved with an unstable woman who cared for me in her way, for as long as she could, but the disorder interfered.

Perhaps. But when the disorder interfered, she continued to use me and lead me on. If I am going to be completely honest with myself, she consciously used me, pretending she felt things she didn't. It is so obvious now when I look back. When I was no longer necessary to satisfy her sexual cravings and she dropped the charade of leaving her husband, she decided she still needed me for other things, namely to further her academic career. She was always making requests of me; meeting her for tutoring, helping her write papers (because English isn't her native language), and proof-reading papers for her, etc. All the while, she was still professing her undying love for me, but something had changed. She only came around when she needed something. It was so hard to refuse to help her. When I did finally get up the nerve to tell her that I no longer wanted to see her if we had no future together, she completely fell apart. She cried uncontrollably, calling herself selfish and worthless over and over, and begging me not to hate her. I had no idea what was wrong with her, but I felt like, for the first time, I was seeing the real her, and I figured that this was my chance to get some honest answers from her. I just asked her point blank if her feelings were real, or if she just made them up. She didn't say anything. There was this long awkward silence that seemed to go on for an eternity, and she finally said "I have to go." That says it all. She knowingly used my feelings for her own personal benefit. Even after this, the requests for help started up again. Even after I lost my job, she continued to ask me for help. When she was studying for her admissions test for dental school, she called me and asked that I tutor her for the math section of the test. I remember her saying "Won't you help me, love of my life?" and then she laughed. Those words were like a slap in the face. She said "love of my life" in such a sarcastic way, as if she was mocking herself. Somehow I was able to block these things out and not think about them while I was still talking to her, but now they're all coming back, and it only makes my hate grow. She's a monster. I finally got up the nerve to expose my feelings to someone that I trusted, and she used them for her own personal benefit. I remember the look on her face when I discovered her husband's fears of having HIV and asked her if that is why she weren't sleeping with him (as opposed to her being unable due to her feelings for me, like she tried to tell me). That look said it all. She had the look of a little girl who had just been caught in a lie. She had no hang ups about sleeping with me behind her husband's back, so she certainly wouldn't have any over sleeping with him behind mine, someone she never made vows to. And then there is the incident with her brother-in-law... .

When I remember all of these things, it’s very hard for me to buy that I was ever "significant" to her. No one is "significant" to her. She uses people like tools.

Excerpt
Some of your anger is tied up with your fears, and getting to the bottom of your fears (of getting close to and trusting people; of never being in another r/s) - THAT is your work today. But you can't begin that work until you resolve your bitter disappointment: that this person who "cured" your lifelong (negative) narrative about yourself suddenly cut and ran. Now you're left with the same narrative about yourself - one which honestly predates your ex - and it's easier to be angry with her than to examine why you have had these fears and issues for your entire life. Again, ask me how I know.    I FINALLY began to get past my anger and hurt at my ex when I started to recognize that my post b/u pain wasn't all about my ex: it was about all of my hopes and dreams for the r/s that were now dead - along with my fears about myself that were triggered when we broke up. My fear that I wasn't worthy of love; my fear that I could never have a r/s and all those things that go along with it. But then I started to get curious about WHY I've struggled with that for so long - which is a story for another thread. Suffice to say that no one else could "cure" these issues of mine with their love for me - just like I couldn't cure my ex's BPD with my love for her. My self esteem and feelings of worthiness have to come from within me - because placing them in someone else's hands is a dangerous proposition.

I would like to have that same kind of self-reflection. Part of me was hoping that therapy would help me learn something about myself, that I would see that my anger isn’t really connected to my ex, but comes from somewhere else, and upon learning the true source, I would become detached and free. But I can’t even calm down enough to think on those levels. I’m livid. Any attempt to try just makes me more disgruntled and tempted to lash out.

Excerpt
Perhaps you would consider that some of this intense anger you're feeling is an anger towards yourself? For remaining silent? For remaining calm? For not standing up for yourself? Your overwhelming desire to confront her husband is really about ALL of the occasions in your life that you were silent, you were calm and you didn't stand up for yourself in situations where most other people would have practiced self-care and said, "NO! That's not okay! You've crossed a boundary. I'm UPSET." Instead, you freeze. As if your life depends on it? Why? I'm guessing the bodily sensations you feel when you choose NOT to respond is an anxiety in the pit of your stomach. Am I right? If so, there are reasons for that.

Yes! Contacting the husband is my way of redeeming myself, not for having an affair with his wife (I will have to own that), but for remaining silent and calm when I shouldn’t have. I was in a situation where NO ONE should have remained silent and calm.

My therapist talks a lot about boundaries, and it’s made me realize that a lack of boundaries with my ex is what screwed with my head so much. When her husband was away, there were absolutely no boundaries between us, not mentally and definitely not physically.  I got a harsh dose of reality when her husband came back home and I realized she wasn’t going to leave him. Whenever I would ask if they were sleeping together, she would actually tell me that she didn’t want to talk about personal stuff like that.  After having no boundaries, there was suddenly a wall between us, and she didn’t want me to know what was going on on the other side. But I knew her well enough to know exactly what was going on. My ex was very hypersexual. That’s a side of herself that she chose to show me in her husband’s absence.  And then she tried to deny to me that that part of her existed when her husband returned. That is truly insulting, that we could have no boundaries and be so close, only to have her treat me like a stranger when her needs changed. Ordinarily I would agree that what a married couple does in their own bedroom is none of my business, but after everything that happened between us, I feel that she lost the right to say “that’s personal and I’m not discussing that with you.” That is why I feel so used by her. I had a right to know, especially given that she was so insistent on remaining in my life. She tried to play the “It’s none of your business” card while still asking so much of me. I felt used. It was ok for her to have boundaries but I wasn’t allowed to have any. I couldn’t even leave town for a few days without her calling me and demanding to know what I’m doing. I made several attempts to get out of that situation, but she’d always resurface.  I finally reached a very low point where I broke down and sobbed uncontrollably. The husband evidently took my breakdown to be part of a ploy to steal his wife. That’s why I’m so upset. Everything I did, even my attempts to distance myself from her, was seen by him as part of a scheme to get his wife. I never had any schemes! Her husband just decided for me what my motivations were and what I was “really” feeling. He shouldn’t get to decide for me what I’m feeling. We met face to face that day, and he was very willing to have a dialogue with me, but I was in such an emotional state that all I wanted to do was flee from that situation, just like I flee from all emotional situations. And now I can’t live with myself until I can have that dialogue with the husband one day. 

Excerpt
There marriage is not "perfect" or uninterrupted. I can tell you that even while my ex was sleeping with the guy she worked with and I didn't know, our r/s was as far from perfect as you can get. He has not escaped "unscathed" while you bear all the burden.

Given her problems, my brain is telling me your right. But sometimes I’m not sure. What little interaction I have had with him suggests that he is so in the dark about everything it’s ridiculous. He thinks I led his wife astray. My big “crime” in all of this was getting involved with a student. That was wrong because I was in a position of authority, and so the burden was on me, not her, to keep things professional.  But that doesn’t necessarily mean that I initiated the relationship. I think her husband is confusing those two issues. He is thinking “he was in a position of authority = he started it.” He is so arrogant that he can’t conceive of the possibility that his wife got involved with another man without the man having to seduce her and brainwash her? That’s what he accused me of. I wish he could have been a fly on the wall in my office the day she first came onto me.  If he could have witnessed her that day he would feel very foolish telling me to “stop pursuing” his wife. I’m also pretty sure that he isn’t aware that she kissed his brother, or that she wanted to have sex with me after he came back home because she couldn’t get it from him due to him thinking he might have HIV. Instead of having to live with all these horrible facts about her, like I do, I’m seen as the terrible guy who he has to protect his innocent wife from. People keep telling me that it doesn’t matter who initiated the affair, but I can’t believe that. I know it would matter if it were me. I think it would hurt him so much more to learn of the things I outlined above, and part of me would get a grim satisfaction at waking him up to that reality. It’s hard to have that kind of ammunition against him and not use it after he called the school.

Excerpt
He knows, just like, in the back of my mind, I knew. I just didn't want to believe it.

If he does indeed know, then I am even more confused at his actions. Why would he fight so hard so save a marriage to a woman who can be so unfaithful? It doesn’t make sense. My ex used to tell me that she wished she’d met me first. I cringe now when I think about that. I feel like I dodged a big bullet. If she’d met me first, it might be me she was married to and cheating on. My therapist said that she doesn’t envy anyone who is in a relationship with her, and neither do I. No self-respecting man would want to be in that kind of relationship. He’s not only fighting for it, but he’s willing to step on other people to do it. It makes me sick.

Nuitari

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2016, 02:41:24 PM »

Excerpt
You lost your job because you had an affair with a student. Everything else is just static.

But its all the "static" that I'm so hung up on. I'm not singling you out or anyone specifically, but when I share my story with others, I sometimes feel like they stop listening once they learn that I had an affair with a married student, and aren't hearing anything else I say. When you say that everything else is static, you're speaking from your own perspective. It is static to you, but not to me. What you call "static" is to me very relevant.

Excerpt
You feel cheated that the gamble didn't pay off. I understand that it hurt and it's tough but nobody forced you to have an affair. You chose to. Your affair was not about her husband or the quality of their marriage. It was about you and her. Her husband had nothing to do with it... .

You think this is just about me being a sore loser. It isn't. This also isn't about me blaming someone else for the affair. I'm sorry if I'm giving that impression. I've tried really hard to elaborate on what this is about. Putting it all into words is a difficult and tedious thing to do, but that doesn't make it static.

Excerpt
He had no reason to believe you when you said that relationship was over.

I'm lost on why it was my place to assure him that the relationship was over. Shouldn't that burden fall on her? You know, the person who made vows to him? She's not inanimate. Why does he need the assurance of an outsider, unless he felt he couldn't trust the woman he was married to. If he did think that the relationship was ongoing, then he also knew his wife was untrustworthy. Why was the burden on me to end a relationship with his wife? She is just as sentient as I am, and her actions should matter more to him that mine. Many people have tried to explain to me the husband's reasons for doing what he did, and all the arguments I have heard seem to be based on the premise that she is an object that he has to fight to protect. I don't get it. I never saw her as an object that I had to fight for. I never even tried to fight for her. Why? Because she's a person who is making her own decisions and is responsible for her own actions. As devastated as I was, I respected her decision to remain with her husband. I wasn't fighting for her. He didn't have to do what he did. He was the only one "fighting" for her.

Excerpt
Given the circumstances he had very good reason to distrust you completely.

He made some pretty unjustified assumptions about me. Did it ever occur to him that she was lying to me? That I thought his marriage was already ending? Instead he saw it as me persuading her to leave him, and he lashed out at me on that basis. Now, what I did was wrong no matter how you look at it, and I can completely understand his reasons for being hurt and angry. What I cannot understand are his thoughts. He seemed insistent on thinking that I somehow corrupted his wife and made her behave in the ways that she did. I was just as hurt and as much of a victim (perhaps moreso) of his wife as he was. I don't like being a scapegoat for all of his problems at home. I was not what was wrong with his marriage.    

Excerpt
He stood to loose an awful lot: his wife, his family, his home and his children. Most people would fight to try and keep their family together.

If he felt that he was in danger of losing those things, I wasn't creating that feeling for him. She was doing that. I was only a threat in his mind. That's what makes the whole thing so tragic.

I honestly feel like I got myself involved in a situation without knowing the rules first. When a married woman has an affair, is it normal for the husband to automatically assume the other guy is seducing her? Is the husband supposed to  assume the other guy started it? Is he allowed to make up anything he wants? Is the woman by default seen as somehow playing a passive role in the affair, even though her actions are driving all the drama? Are the husband and I supposed to see her as some kind of trophy to be won? I saw her as a human making her own decisions, and I just assumed he would do the same. Does a husband supposed to care if his wife is untrustworthy? Or is it enough for him that he can just forbid affairs without having to worry about her desires or happiness? None of it makes sense.

Excerpt
When you think on your need for revenge - and yes we're talking about revenge here - it's worth thinking about the children. Do they deserve to be caught in the fallout?

I try thinking about the children. They are definitely a reason not to seek "revenge," and I wish I could say that's why I haven't done it. But it isn't. I'm too angry to think at all. I'm hanging on by a thread. Its not fair that I lost so much and I'm still left with the burden of worrying about other people's feelings. Why do I have to care about other people's feelings when no one gives a damn about mine? No one else in my place could have gone through what I have without having an emotional outburst of some type. I feel like I'm being asked to do something unnatural.

Excerpt
Sending a letter to her husband is complete the opposite to detachment. Have you considered the that it's actually a way of reconnecting with her.

I have, and this is a big reason why I've gone so long without doing it. In a weird way, it feels like going backwards, not forwards. But its hard to see how I can go the rest of my life without getting so much off my chest. The belief that I will one day contact the husband has been the only thing that's kept me sane to this point.

steelwork

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2016, 05:31:11 PM »

Hey Nuitari,

I've followed your thread, though I haven't always read every word, I admit. I just want to say, from me to you, that I sense that you have a real need to feel understood. I do too. Who doesn't? But I feel like I need it a little more than most people, for a lot of historical, personal reasons. I  find myself worrying the facts with people like a dog with a bone, trying to get them to come around to my way of understanding. It can be exhausting, and some people just make up their minds and nothing will change them, and it drives me mad. It seems like an existential imperative that I convince them. I sense a little of that happening with you.

So, from me to you: you don't have to get all the nuances of your situation across to an anonymous collection of forum-posters. After a while, the effort becomes a matter of diminishing returns. I think some of us take in the details a little more than others, and some of us just have immovable values such that we are always going to come back with "you had an affair, that's all that matters" or "you aren't taking responsibility for your part" or whatever it may be. I feel like your job is to sift through it, keep an open mind, take what is valuable, and keep growing.

Did you have a conversation with your T about therapeutic approaches?
steelwork

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2016, 05:37:55 PM »

Come to think of it, I wonder if some of your desire to contact her husband has to do with being misunderstood--being cast as the predator, the lothario--when you know different.
Reforming

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2016, 04:52:58 AM »

But its all the "static" that I'm so hung up on. I'm not singling you out or anyone specifically, but when I share my story with others, I sometimes feel like they stop listening once they learn that I had an affair with a married student, and aren't hearing anything else I say. When you say that everything else is static, you're speaking from your own perspective. It is static to you, but not to me. What you call "static" is to me very relevant.

I actually shared my own experienced of having an affair because I wanted to make it crystal clear that I had made similar mistakes.

This isn't about more judgement or condemnation but moving forward begins with taking responsibility for our own choices and actions. For most of the this thread you have tried to shift responsibility for losing your job onto your exes husband - blaming him for damaging your life. I understand that it's painful to accept this but it was your choice to have an affair with student that got you fired

Excerpt
You think this is just about me being a sore loser. It isn't. This also isn't about me blaming someone else for the affair. I'm sorry if I'm giving that impression. I've tried really hard to elaborate on what this is about. Putting it all into words is a difficult and tedious thing to do, but that doesn't make it static.

You stated that you need their marriage to fail… Perhaps static is the wrong word but I think a lot of this seems peripheral. And we're talking about you blaming your exes husband for losing your job. Choosing to have a relationship with a student is why you lost your job.

Excerpt
I'm lost on why it was my place to assure him that the relationship was over. Shouldn't that burden fall on her? You know, the person who made vows to him? She's not inanimate. Why does he need the assurance of an outsider, unless he felt he couldn't trust the woman he was married to. If he did think that the relationship was ongoing, then he also knew his wife was untrustworthy. Why was the burden on me to end a relationship with his wife? She is just as sentient as I am, and her actions should matter more to him that mine. Many people have tried to explain to me the husband's reasons for doing what he did, and all the arguments I have heard seem to be based on the premise that she is an object that he has to fight to protect. I don't get it. I never saw her as an object that I had to fight for. I never even tried to fight for her. Why? Because she's a person who is making her own decisions and is responsible for her own actions. As devastated as I was, I respected her decision to remain with her husband. I wasn't fighting for her. He didn't have to do what he did. He was the only one "fighting" for her.

Again it feels like you're trying to shift your responsibility for choices and behaviour elsewhere. You chose to have an affair with his wife even though you knew she was married. You could hardly be blind to the hurt or damage it would cause him. She is culpable for her behaviour, but so are you. We're not talking about a teenage fling - we're talking about a marriage, a family with children. How you would you feel if you were in his shoes?

Excerpt
He made some pretty unjustified assumptions about me.

He assumed you were having an affair with his wife - he was right wasn't he? He also concluded that as someone in a position of authority and responsibility you abused the trust you were given. Do you think he was wrong?

Excerpt
Did it ever occur to him that she was lying to me? That I thought his marriage was already ending? Instead he saw it as me persuading her to leave him, and he lashed out at me on that basis. Now, what I did was wrong no matter how you look at it, and I can completely understand his reasons for being hurt and angry. What I cannot understand are his thoughts. He seemed insistent on thinking that I somehow corrupted his wife and made her behave in the ways that she did. I was just as hurt and as much of a victim (perhaps moreso) of his wife as he was. I don't like being a scapegoat for all of his problems at home. I was not what was wrong with his marriage.

I think you have already answered this in one of your earlier posts. See below

Excerpt
I get the impression that they had a pretty good marriage up to that point, and he couldn't understand her sudden animosity and lack of feelings for him. He blamed me for turning his wife against him. Long story short, he convinces her not to leave him. And now, two years later, she's convinced that he loves her and genuinely cannot understand her attitude toward him when he was away.

Very few marriages are perfect but an affair will undermine the foundations of even a good marriage. And yes people in happy marriages can have affairs

Excerpt
If he felt that he was in danger of losing those things, I wasn't creating that feeling for him. She was doing that. I was only a threat in his mind. That's what makes the whole thing so tragic.

You weren't just a threat in his in his mind - you were having on affair with the man's wife and she was threatening to leave him for you. You need to take responsibility for your own behaviour and recognise the impact it has one the lives of others

Excerpt
I honestly feel like I got myself involved in a situation without knowing the rules first. When a married woman has an affair, is it normal for the husband to automatically assume the other guy is seducing her? Is the husband supposed to  assume the other guy started it? Is he allowed to make up anything he wants? Is the woman by default seen as somehow playing a passive role in the affair, even though her actions are driving all the drama? Are the husband and I supposed to see her as some kind of trophy to be won? I saw her as a human making her own decisions, and I just assumed he would do the same. Does a husband supposed to care if his wife is untrustworthy? Or is it enough for him that he can just forbid affairs without having to worry about her desires or happiness? None of it makes sense.

There are no rules when it comes to affairs - they frequently get messy and someone always gets hurt. I don't believe that you're naive. But it's worth reiterating that it wasn't the affair that got you fired - it was having relationship with a student.

Excerpt
I try thinking about the children. They are definitely a reason not to seek "revenge," and I wish I could say that's why I haven't done it. But it isn't. I'm too angry to think at all. I'm hanging on by a thread. Its not fair that I lost so much and I'm still left with the burden of worrying about other people's feelings. Why do I have to care about other people's feelings when no one gives a damn about mine? No one else in my place could have gone through what I have without having an emotional outburst of some type. I feel like I'm being asked to do something unnatural.

Do you think your own behaviour was fair? You're also assuming that other people involved - her husband - is not feeling any pain. Believe me he is and their children will also be effected by what's been going on.

Nuitari a lot of people here are genuinely rooting for you. We are not here to judge you. We all want you to come through this, to heal and find happiness. There are lots of things that might feel natural - perhaps instinctive is a better word - but are deeply destructive. Anger, violence, retaliation. We learn to control our urge to act in these ways because we learn that it's counterproductive and destructive.

Excerpt
I have, and this is a big reason why I've gone so long without doing it. In a weird way, it feels like going backwards, not forwards. But its hard to see how I can go the rest of my life without getting so much off my chest. The belief that I will one day contact the husband has been the only thing that's kept me sane to this point.

You may feel it's keeping you sane but if you re-read your thread from the very beginning it feels like you're directing more and more anger towards her husband.  I'm not a T but perhaps this is because the the relationship and your therapy is opening up wounds that you didn't realise you have. Incidentally I thought I had a very happy childhood until I went to therapy. I'm not suggesting that your parents were not loving or devoted but one's childhood doesn't have to be traumatic or abusive to leave a mark.

Keep posting

Reforming

Nuitari

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2016, 10:09:59 PM »

I  find myself worrying the facts with people like a dog with a bone, trying to get them to come around to my way of understanding. It can be exhausting, and some people just make up their minds and nothing will change them, and it drives me mad. It seems like an existential imperative that I convince them. I sense a little of that happening with you.

Yes! Your above passage describes me perfectly. My T and I have talked a lot about this, and she thinks this is what is driving my need to contact the husband. My anger with my ex's husband doesn't so much lie with his actions, as it does with his mentality. That's what I cannot accept. My T tells me that he has his own version of events, that his truth isn't my truth. I can't buy that. There is only one truth. There aren't different versions of it. He may have his own version of what happened in his head, but its wrong. Plain and simple. Atoms are real, we landed on the moon, and my ex's husband is wrong. Those are facts.  It just eats away at me when I see people "choosing" their beliefs, just pulling them from the air. Its irresponsible thinking. My actions were wrong, that is also a fact. But that does not equate with the fact that he had problems with his marriage. If I had turned her down, it most likely would have been some other guy having an affair with his wife. He was bound to come home to that situation no matter what. Many members here, as well my T, have remarked that she's most likely had affairs before. If that's true, it makes it even more difficult to understand his mentality that somehow removing me from the picture was the thing that was going to fix his marriage. It just seems like shallow, shortsighted thinking to me. At some point, he's got to wake up realize who the real problem is. Being in a marriage to an unfaithful spouse shouldn't entitle one to invent their own reality. Sorry for rambling. I wasn't intending to type all that. I mainly just wanted to say that I can identify with what you said above, and its a big part of what I'm going through now.

Excerpt
Did you have a conversation with your T about therapeutic approaches?

Not yet. My T had to have her baby early because of emergency issues, so I won't be seeing her at least for a while. I'm supposed to start seeing another therapist in her stead. I've known for a while that was coming, because of my T's pregnancy, and I've been hoping that it might be a breath of fresh air to see someone knew, but now all I want is my regular T back. She knows me and my past pretty well now, and I've grown very comfortable with being able to share personal stuff with her. Its going to be hard having to start all over with someone new.

Excerpt
Come to think of it, I wonder if some of your desire to contact her husband has to do with being misunderstood--being cast as the predator, the lothario--when you know different.

That's a huge part of it. Maybe ALL of it. I always felt like I could easily let this go if he just knew the truth. I have no problem owning up to my mistakes and admitting my wrong doings to him. I just want him to know how it all really went down. One day, if I can lose my anger and desire for revenge, maybe I can remove from that letter the part about sleeping with his wife. But at the very minimum I need to voice my side of what happened. That is very important to me.

Thank you for your post. 

Nuitari

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2016, 01:53:42 AM »

Excerpt
And we're talking about you blaming your exes husband for losing your job.

This right here is where we need to start. You're not understanding that this isn't about blaming him for my job loss. I would have such an easier time accepting what happened if I thought that my relationship with my ex had been something meaningful, even if unsustainable. My ex knowingly played with me. I can no longer believe that her actions were motivated by any real feelings for me. She was exploiting me. No human being deserves to be on the receiving end of that, not even a teacher who had an affair with a student. Regardless of how big of a part I played in all of this, I do not believe my ex could have so easily forgiven her husband for his actions if she really loved me. She could not have so easily shrugged the whole thing off and remained with him like the whole thing never happened. At the very least, she should have told him about our affair. If it had meant anything to her, she would have told him. But it evidently wasn't even important enough to mention. That relationship meant so much to me that I was willing to put everything on the line for it. It wasn't even worth acknowledging to her.  It was easier for her to accept that I lost my job than it ever was to accept that he learn some harsh truths. I had to deal with losing a job that was, before she came along, my only love in life and the realization that it was only because I allowed someone to exploit me on a very personal level while he is allowed the comfort of believing that I was the perpetrator, the "lothario," as Steelwork put it. Its hard being accused of those things after all of her manipulations. After being the victim of her cruelty, can't you understand my temptation to expose her? Does she even appreciate that I never called him and told him? No. She just took for granted that I'm just going to remain silent and "move on" after losing everything so she can pick up her life with her husband. My feelings aren't even considered. She made me feel so small and insignificant, and its hard to see how I can move on without doing something, anything, to redeem myself. I accepted that she was going to remain with him. I never asked her to leave him. All I ever wanted from her was some gesture that I meant something to her, that it was real for her too, that I didn't lose my job over nothing. If I discovered today that she told him, I feel like this would all go away. That's all I need. She should have told him. That one gesture would have meant everything to me. It would have freed. Now do you see? I don't think you can paint all of what I'm going through under the broad and oversimplified brush of blaming the husband for my job loss. My need to contact my ex's husband is being driven by other things. You can call it all static, peripheral, or whatever, but I guarantee you that you would suffer these same feelings if you lived through these events.

Excerpt
He assumed you were having an affair with his wife

No. Again, he doesn't know anything about the affair. That's the problem. He should.

Excerpt
He also concluded that as someone in a position of authority and responsibility you abused the trust you were given. Do you think he was wrong?

No, he's not wrong about that. I owned up to this in my letter didn't I? Again, this isn't about trying to shift blame or avoid responsibility. It's been hard enough admitting the things I am guilty of. I certainly don't like being the scapegoat for the things I'm not, in particular the problems with his marriage, problems that extend well beyond me. Yes, I had an affair with his wife. And yes, I abused the trust I was given. It hurts to admit that. I don't talk about that much here as a I do with my therapist, but its something I'm having a difficult time with. That job was the best thing that ever happened to me, and I threw it away. I still haven't found a way to forgive myself for it. I'm not sure I ever will. That is my emotional baggage, not his. So it doesn't make sense that he should care if I abused my authority. If I had had an affair with some other student, would he have cared? No. If he had been able to trust his wife 100% to not get involved with me, would he have cared about any unethical behavior on my part? No. So you see, this for him wasn't about my code of conduct at all. If he truly trusted her, he wouldn't have felt threatened by me, and probably wouldn't have called the school. His real problem was that he couldn't trust his wife. Wasn't that the real, most immediate threat to his marriage? Shouldn't he care about that? But its like she was inanimate in all this. The school had every reason to fire me.  His, on the other hand, was not concerned with my misconduct, but with maintaining a marriage to a woman he knows he can't trust.  The bottom line is he lashed out at me because he couldn't trust his wife.

Excerpt
You weren't just a threat in his in his mind

I don't buy that. You wouldn't say that if you knew what I was going through at the time. Always staying with family members because I couldn't be alone with my thoughts. Going to school everyday knowing that I'll see her, that she'll insist on asking me for help and me feeling too guilty to refuse her after what we had been through, but inside just wanting to scream at her to leave me alone. Always on the verge of breaking into tears until I finally did.  I was going through hell, and all I wanted to do was forget that I ever met her. No, I wasn't a threat to his marriage.

Excerpt
But it's worth reiterating that it wasn't the affair that got you fired - it was having relationship with a student.

My point exactly. But we both know that wasn't what motivated him to call the school. He called the school because he was in a marriage to an unfaithful wife, and decided to make me the target. He can't trust the woman he's married to. That's his emotional baggage, just like my unethical behavior is mine. I'm angry because not only do I have to carry my own emotional baggage, but he tried to hand me his too, somehow blaming me for his wife's (who is again sentient and has freewill) behavior. I shouldn't have had an affair with a student. But the fact that I did doesn't mean that I initiated it, or that I seduced and brainwashed her. That these beliefs are the first place his mind would go when his wife showed an interest in another man makes it look like he's thinking of her as a mindless object, a piece of property. He claimed that I was smart enough to make her believe that she started it when it was actually me. My ex should be offended by that statement. Its demeaning and it objectifies her. As far as the school is concerned, it doesn't matter who started it. I broke the rules, plain and simple. But as far as he is concerned, I would have thought it would matter a lot. I'm just trying to understand his logic. She initiates the affair, convinces me she's leaving him, and then he accuses me of trying to steal his wife from him and absolves her of all blame as if her actions were my fault. He's either delusional and has serious mental problems of his own, or he's in complete denial. After all the trauma I had to endure at her hands, I can hardly be blamed for wanting to destroy his delirium.

I just want her husband to live in reality. Is that too much to ask for? So many members here, and my T as well, have told me that their marriage doesn't sound like it stand much of a chance. If I believe my ex, even some of her husband's own immediate family told him he never should have gotten married. It seems pretty obvious to everyone else that their marriage is doomed. Why I can't he see it? Did he really think that my being fired was this magical thing that was going to make his marriage OK? It just seems extremely shortsighted on his part. I was a victim of her mental illness, only to have him make me the personification of all his marriage problems. Its like he got to construct out of thin air his own reality and live it. That's why I'm angry. If there is any part of my that wants revenge, it isn't against his actions, its against his mentality. Now, before you say its silly to worry about someone else's mentality, its no sillier than a person washing their hands every ten minutes because of a fear of germs. Simply pointing out the absurdity of one's obsessions doesn't relieve them for that person. But the OCD aside, I can't help but feel that in some way I have a legitimate desire to make myself heard to the husband. My ex said she loved me right up until I lost my job. I never heard it again after that. Instead all I heard afterwards is how sorry she was, how she never meant to take things so far. How can I not feel like a victim? The only two people on this planet who really knows what happened between us is myself and my ex. When I think of how she apologized for what happened over and over, and how she was initially so angry with her husband, it is obvious how she saw the situation. I never blamed her for my job loss, so why the constant apologies? Why get angry at her husband? Because she knows she played me with, and it went too far. Because she knows I wasn't any real threat to their marriage. Her reactions to everything suggests that her assessment is the same as mine. She used me. She took advantage of my feelings for her own personal gain, knowing that I needed to let go, and it messed up my whole life. My T tells me to take this as a learning experience and not allow myself to be abused anymore in future relationships. That's all well and good, but what do I do about the present? I was violated in a very personal way, only to be further stepped on by her husband (and yes, he called the school because of his twisted view of what was happening. That was his motivation.) What am I supposed to do to recover from that, if not speak for myself?

A big reason why I haven't called the husband is because of my new job. I see it as a chance at redemption, to not make the same mistakes. Its been hard accepting what I did, but I hope you can understand that my standing with my former employers is a completely different issue than the more human tragedy that I need to speak out against.     
bestintentions

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2016, 07:43:54 AM »

Nuitari -

I haven't read every post of yours, but I can sympathize with the ruminations you've been having.  Have you thought about talking to your doctor about getting on an antidepressant?  Mine started me on Lexapro in August.  Lexapro is often prescribed for people with OCD.  I had to up my dosage after 4 weeks but about 8 weeks in... .it really made a huge difference with ruminations.

Good luck,

bi
Sunfl0wer
`

Relationship status: He moved out mid March

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2016, 08:13:36 AM »

Excerpt
My anger with my ex's husband doesn't so much lie with his actions, as it does with his mentality. That's what I cannot accept. My T tells me that he has his own version of events, that his truth isn't my truth. I can't buy that. There is only one truth. There aren't different versions of it. He may have his own version of what happened in his head, but its wrong. Plain and simple. Atoms are real, we landed on the moon, and my ex's husband is wrong. Those are facts.  It just eats away at me when I see people "choosing" their beliefs, just pulling them from the air. Its irresponsible thinking

This thread seems painful... .
Have you looked at the lessons?
Where does RA fit into this?

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
drained1996

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2016, 09:09:30 AM »

Nuitari,

I feel you and hear you on your thoughts and feelings.  I've beat my head up against many walls when met with what my mind may define as illogical thinking.  This has helped me tremendously... .many times in life we just have to accept people for who they are and how they are... .Radical Acceptance is a powerful concept once understood and put into use.  Read the whole post here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=90041.0
Let us know what you think... .
fromheeltoheal

Relationship status: Broken up, I left her

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2016, 12:33:28 PM »

Staff only

This thread has reached its posting limit.  Please feel free to continue the conversation in a new thread.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest