Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 15, 2024, 10:25:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Hypervigilance?  (Read 385 times)
Artemis_bpd

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: January 15, 2017, 04:14:33 AM »

I need to ask what Hypervigilance is because I read that it is not good. I would like to know if this is Hypervigilance : Last November, I triggered an emotional storm with my high functioning uBPD, I did or said something that triggered his fear of abandonment. Things became haywire, he was clingy, then frantic, then he painted me black for something I am not very sure why. I detached for a whole month, let his black emotions die down.

Anyway, last holidays, we reconciled, and as a classic pwBPD would have it, as if nothing happened and he painted me white all over again. He has this all or nothing intense emotions, and now I am afraid that I might trigger him back again to painting me black. I am very careful in what I say or do, such that our rs has lost its spontaneity. Is walking on eggshells considered as Hypervigilance? What is it exactly?

I feel constrained, almost fearful that anytime he might turn what I do or what I say against me and the negative cycle will begin again. like before.  So I detach but it is not healthy. I'm pretty confused. Thanks for your replies.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 08:20:31 AM »

That's exactly it. Hypervigilance is an inability to relax around your pwBPD. You constantly are looking for signs that he is about to be triggered, and even trying to prevent those triggers. You watch your words/behavior to make sure you never upset them. Walking on egg shells is the perfect term. You tip toe around, hoping that you don't do anything to make the egg shells crack.

This type of behavior is almost like a mild for of PTSD. It can cause depression, anxiety, and other forms of neurotic behavior in you. It also can lead to extreme co-dependent fixing type behavior and control issues.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

ElinorD

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 11:02:29 AM »

Is hypervigilance also what BPD people do when looking for threats of abandonment or rejection? My uBPDh is always scanning the environment for threats. Is there a man my wife is talking to or about in a positive way? Is there a tone of insubordination in my child's voice? Is my wife dressed in a way that makes me notice an attractive part of her body when she's leaving the house? It's like he's always on alert for that kind of thing. 
Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 08:15:51 AM »

Is hypervigilance also what BPD people do when looking for threats of abandonment or rejection? My uBPDh is always scanning the environment for threats. Is there a man my wife is talking to or about in a positive way? Is there a tone of insubordination in my child's voice? Is my wife dressed in a way that makes me notice an attractive part of her body when she's leaving the house? It's like he's always on alert for that kind of thing. 

Yeah, I would classify it as that. My uBPDh does the same. He is constantly looking for signs of rejection from me. He studies my tone of voice, the way I'm dressed, etc. Danger when in public. It's as if he is expecting bad to happen to him so he looks for it to be prepared.

For my H I'm pretty sure it's because he never knew when or why he would be hit when he was a child so he constantly had to be aware of his surroundings, of his dad's mood, etc.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

Artemis_bpd

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 03:55:17 AM »

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. Like mentioned, I was painted white last holidays, we were so happy... .And now it seems I am painted black again.
Now I know No amount of hyper vigilance on my part or carefully walking around eggshells can prevent a pwBPD assume a black episode or emotional dysfunction as it is called.  At first glance, I didn't know what I did to trigger him. But on hindsight, my "carefulness" or detachment may have been perceived as abandonment again... .No matter what I do, he gets triggered. If we are close and loving, he pushes out of fear of engulfment. When I detach, he sees it as abandonment ... .The classic double bind, it is like this over and over again... .Never a normal moment. And to think he is a very high functioning uBPD, if only his work associates and followers knew. It is sad, this life with a pwBPD. Where do we who relate with them go from here? Sigh... .
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest