Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 07:23:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to tell if my mom has BPD  (Read 493 times)
dogwasher

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: February 13, 2017, 10:28:39 PM »

Hi.  This is my first post here and I'm not very experienced with forums, but I am trying to follow the guidelines!

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 4 years ago.  As an adult child of a mom with what I until recently thought was just anxiety issues, I've had a very up-and-down relationship with my mom from the time I was honestly 7 until now. 

My sister has apparently always seemed to know something was not right with my mom, but I never really thought about it like something was actually wrong with her.  In the past few weeks with some extra-troubling events with my mom having occurred, my sister has mentioned to me that in reading countless articles online, BPD seems to really fit my mom.  After that, I've read many articles on it, and it does seem to fit.

Even with hours googling how to find out if she really does have BPD, I still find myself so lost.  For years I have struggled with my own emotions, so finally getting some validation that I'm not the only "messed up" one would mean so much, but I'm so lost on how to do that. 

Articles I've read caution against diagnosing her and I don't want to give myself some false hope with a fake diagnosis.  I know she will never ever go to therapy so I have no idea how to figure out if she actually has BPD. 

How do people who refer to their mother/etc. as an "undiagnosed BPD" get to that point?  What is the best way to find out for sure if my mom does have BPD?  If the BPD person does not want to go to therapy, how do people determine that their mom/etc. has BPD?  In those cases, is looking at the symptoms list objective enough?  Especially if articles caution against diagnosing someone?  How can I move on if I don't know for sure if she has BPD, or if I'm not allowed to sort of diagnose her?

I feel like reading self-help articles on a relationship with a BPD mother can't apply to me if I don't know if she has it, or if I'm not allowed to make an educated guess that she does.  If anyone can help guide me in the right direction I would be so grateful.  Thanks!
Naughty Nibbler

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 10:34:29 AM »

Welcome Dogwasher:    
I like your alias.  We need to get you an avatar of a dog with soap suds on him  Smiling (click to insert in post)

I'm sorry about your frustration and feelings about being lost.  You aren't alone.  Many of us have been/are in similar circumstances.

BPD can result from a genetic predisposition, environmental situation or both.  BPD is a spectrum disorder.  It usually doesn't stand alone.  It is common for people with BPD (pwBPD) to have one or more other mental health issues: depression, anxiety, bipolar, PSTD, ADD/ADHD, OCD and others.  Some people have BPD traits, but are a few traits shy of qualifying for the label.  Others are referred to as having "high functioning BPD" or "low functioning BPD".

Some people, who wear a label of normal, can still have some BPD traits in varying degrees.  Some of the traits can come and go, during a lifetime.  Life events can bring on some BPD behaviors:  a death in the family, loss of a job, major illness or injury, etc.

Environmentally, some of us see behavior in our home that becomes our "normal".  We don't know that our situation isn't normal.  We don't see good examples of managing emotions and emotional intelligence.

Don't get hung up on labels.  It doesn't matter if your mom gets an official diagnosis for BPD. It doesn't really matter how many of the BPD traits she has.  It seems like most people here are dealing with someone who won't admit they have a problem, and they blame everything on others.  The best that any of us can do is manage our selves and how we deal with each specific problem trait.

You can't change your mother.  What you can do is learn communication skills and strategy to use with your mother.  By setting  BOUNDARIES and using various  COMMUNICATION SKILLS,  you can make things better for you.

Quote from: dogwasher
In the past few weeks with some extra-troubling events with my mom having occurred  

Are you able to share details of the recent troubling events?

The links above (click the green words, "boundaries" and "communication skills" can be a good place to start with some lessons.  If you look at the very top of the screen, there is a large green band with a "Tools" menu.  There are links to more lessons there, as well as in the right-hand margin.

All this can seem very overwhelming.  Just take it a step at a time.  This is a good place to share and gain input for others who are dealing with similar situations.  When you are ready to share more of your story, we are here to listen.  

P.F.Change
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 10:14:23 PM »

Hi, dogwasher!

Welcome, and thanks for your post. It's okay if your mother never gets a diagnosis, or if you never know what it actually is. I mean, sure, it helps, but it's not the most important thing. In my case, my therapist told me it sounded to her like my mother may have BPD (while being clear that she can't diagnose someone she hasn't seen). It has helped me a lot to know there are skills I can learn to help me deal with her behavior, whether or not she ever gets an official diagnosis. In fact, they've helped me deal with a great many situations, even with people who don't have BPD.

We can help you if your mother has some of the traits of BPD, even if you never know for sure if that's the root issue. The links Naughty Nibbler has shared with you are good places to start. Would you like to share more about some of her behaviors and the issues you are having in your relationship with her? Are you talking with a therapist of your own who could give you some feedback?

Hope to hear more from you soon!

Wishing you peace,

PF

“If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.”--Lao Tzu
DaughterOf

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 08:45:25 AM »

Hi Dogwasher. I just did some dog washing myself; it's snowy here and my two dogs got really slushy and gross!

My mother is undiagnosed BPD. A therapist mentioned BPD to me about four years ago. I purchased the Walking on Eggshells book and started going through it with a highlighter. So much of it described her to a T. I then shared it with my brother, who agreed. It's her. She's never been formally diagnosed (and never will, probably), but there's enough confirmation from those who know her and therapists who have heard about her for me to feel confident calling her someone with BPD. You might try getting one of those books yourself and seeing how much rings true.

One thing: When first learning about BPD, I couldn't really take in all the diagnostic criteria www.spectrumBPD.com.au/pages/about-borderline-personality-disorder-BPD/formal-diagnostic-criteria-for-BPD.php in relation to my mother. For example, since I perceive my mother as strong and powerful, I couldn't make sense of the "chronic feelings of emptiness" criterion. Now I can see it, but it's taken me a few years. Another example: I have no insight into "transient, stress-related paranoid ideas or severe dissociative symptoms." So not everything was a perfect fit. But so much of it was--and I could easily see how she fit at least five of the diagnostic criteria--so I called it a fit.

The best thing about knowing about BPD is that it helps me be less crazy. It helps me see that my mother has an illness that is apart from me. It helps me say "this is the BPD talking" when she goes haywire. It also helps me avoid blaming myself.

Good luck.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest