Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 09:50:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Popular books with members
Surviving a
Borderline Parent

Emotional Blackmail
Fear, Obligation, and Guilt
When Parents Make
Children Their Partners
Healing the
Shame That Binds You

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: She Texted Me...  (Read 630 times)
_Joy_

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: March 23, 2017, 09:01:52 PM »

Hello all!

I posted on here about a month ago because I was struggling with how people were trying to guilt me into talking to my BPD mother again. Back in November she said some incredibly hurtful things to me and I cut off contact. I am pregnant with my first child and I decided that I didn't want her to have a relationship with my child if she doesn't get help. I haven't heard from her in months until tonight. She's asking if she's going to get a relationship with my child. Does anyone have advice on how to effectively communicate to her that she needs to get help before she can get back in our lives? I feel the need to protect my child from her and I can't let her back in with how she currently behaves. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
Naughty Nibbler

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 06:34:07 PM »

Hi _Joy_:  

One possible way to answer is to use a group of "I" Statements, as a reply to her text.  Perhaps it would be best in an email.

First, check out the info. below to either get acquainted with or refresh your understanding of "I" Statement:

The 19-minute video at the link below is a helpful tutorial for using "I" Statements:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDExNRJCUp0

The template and sample below could be helpful as well.

How To Use I-Statements:

Start by identifying how you feel: mad, sad, frustrated, etc.
I feel __________

State the reason you feel this way or what happened that led you to those feelings.
when __________

Try to identify the reason the person’s actions led to those feelings for you.
because __________

Let the person know what you want instead.
I would like __________ .

Example:
Your spouse snaps at you during dinner and it really hurt your feelings. Here’s an I-statement to use with this scenario:

I feel hurt when you snap at me like that because I worked hard to cook this nice dinner for us. I would like you to use nicer words and tone with me, and to know if something happened today that has led you to be in a bad mood.

Sample 1
I need interaction between us to be mutually respectful and supportive.  I am fearful to let anyone into my child's life, unless they demonstrate that they can consistently treat me with respect.  if I'm not treated with respect, then I have to assume that my child won't either.

Sample 2
I feel insulted when I'm called names.  It is disrespectful.  I don't have the power to stop anyone who participates in name calling, but I can choose to not associate with them.

What would you like to tell your mom?  Want to take a crack at your own "I" Statements?

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest