Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 17, 2024, 10:58:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trigger  (Read 370 times)
Thendra

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: March 23, 2017, 11:00:35 PM »

It's been a year now and I am still thinking about my ex - I guess now especially because the break-up date was about a year ago this time. Why am I still so hurt? When I am working I'm fine, when I am alone, I am not fine. I am feeling sad and broken-hearted. I have sought therapy. I have read a great deal on this topic. I have watched countless empowering videos. I have journaled a great deal to epic proportions. I have socialized with friends. I have spent quality time with myself. And yet, I am now going through flashbacks - like PTSD - and I do not want to trivialize that disorder. I just feel that when I am triggered by her name or by anything remotely connected to my ex, I am weak. I had suffered three breaks from her in a period of three years. And the final break-up was very hard on me because I should never have taken her back the second time around. I feel I truly betrayed myself. Yet, I can't seem to let go. No I have not contacted her and never will - my dignity was robbed from me twice -I will not allow that to happen again. Bit even though I am intellectually aware of how toxic this person was, I am still attached.   I suppose the one year break-up anniversary is a trigger for me. And my sentimental and nostalgic side is doing more harm than good. I guess I need some help.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 01:10:17 AM »

How do you feel that you truly betrayed yourself?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
infjEpic

Relationship status: In a new relationship

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 01:12:08 AM »

It's been a year now and I am still thinking about my ex - I guess now especially because the break-up date was about a year ago this time. Why am I still so hurt?

Because it was one of the most emotional events of your life.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you.

Excerpt
When I am working I'm fine, when I am alone, I am not fine.

I can relate so strongly to that.

I think this article is really good.
https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=103396.0

I think meditation and gratitude journals are also very good.

Reading books and articles and everything helped.
But spending time on bpdfamily & trying to help others, helped more than anything.

Excerpt
I am feeling sad and broken-hearted. I have sought therapy. I have read a great deal on this topic. I have watched countless empowering videos. I have journaled a great deal to epic proportions. I have socialized with friends. I have spent quality time with myself.

This is the first week I've felt truely detached.

Up until this week - I alternated between sadness and anger.

I've been getting excited this week - because I've been getting to a certain point in the day - think about my BPDex - and then realise it's the first time I've thought of her in the day.

Excerpt
And yet, I am now going through flashbacks - like PTSD - and I do not want to trivialize that disorder. I just feel that when I am triggered by her name or by anything remotely connected to my ex, I am weak. I had suffered three breaks from her in a period of three years.

Sure - don't trivialise the disorder, but also don't trivialise what you went through... .Labelling yourself as weak, because of what you are experiencing. Don't do that.

Recognise you are strong - because you survived all that.

I think you must have more compassion for yourself.

A disordered relationship is one of the most painful experiences a human being can endure.
People who've not experienced it simply will never understand.

But we've experienced it. And we understand you.

Excerpt
And the final break-up was very hard on me because I should never have taken her back the second time around.
I feel I truly betrayed myself.

No, you didn't.
You didn't even betray your ex.
You did the best you could. There is nothing to feel guilt for. There is nothing to be ashamed about.

It was a disordered relationship.
It's not your fault.

Excerpt
Yet, I can't seem to let go.

I think - in making this post - and the thoughts and emotions you are describing - you are in fact in the process of letting go.
It's not a linear process.
And for some people, it's hard to truely let go - until they meet somebody else.

Excerpt
No I have not contacted her and never will - my dignity was robbed from me twice -I will not allow that to happen again. Bit even though I am intellectually aware of how toxic this person was, I am still attached. 

Feels like Cognitive Dissonance, doesn't it?

Yet it's completely routine for people who've been in disordered relationships.

The key that probably helps to unlock this door  - is recognising that you are attached to attachment - not to her.
You miss attachment, not her.

Excerpt
I suppose the one year break-up anniversary is a trigger for me. And my sentimental and nostalgic side is doing more harm than good. I guess I need some help.

I think you're being a bit too hard on yourself.
You are here.
You are actively addressing this.
I think you're doing pretty good actually. It just doesn't feel like that - and I totally understand it - because I've been there.

But Intellectual and Emotional alignment is a process, not a state.

I'm sentimental and nostalgic too. I look for meanings in things.
I kind of felt it was doing more harm than good... .for a while.
I guess I feel differently about that now - I realise it gave impetus to work through difficult thoughts and emotions, that I may otherwise not have had.

Do you feel lonely?
Are you dating?
Have you been involved with anyone since the Cluster B relationship ended?

What are you doing for self care - during the times when you are alone?
lovenature

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 10:29:41 PM »

Welcome Thendra

It takes what it takes to heal from these relationships; knowledge is helpful, practicing mindfulness, therapy etc.
I believe we need to process things and above all else be realistic about the overall situation, give yourself compassion and take it one day at a time.
Thendra

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 11:13:47 PM »

Thank you so much for responding and providing me with insight and compassion.You have given me much to think about.

To answer some of your questions: I'm taking care of myself by being  eating well, being physically active and socializing  when I can. I have also joined some social groups so as to meet new people who share similar interests - but I am not interested in dating anyone - I am simply not there yet. I am happy to enjoy my life right now on my own. I am also happy that I have the interest and the courage to go out on my own to meet new people - for some time there I was feeling like a loner and happy in that state. Now, I feel the urge to break free from my self-induced isolation. This is a very good sign for me as I am by nature an outgoing person. This means I am seeing my true self slowly re-surface.

But the work continues.

I will  read the article you have posted for me - thank you for that  and again thank you for taking the time to respond to my plight with such care and interest. I am grateful.

Sincerely,
Thendra

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest