Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 08:13:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Help - BPD Spouse taking ADHD medication  (Read 521 times)
mecalecalec

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: April 18, 2017, 10:25:53 AM »

Hello - I have posted here before and the people here are wonderful.

By BPD spouse has been (in the past) physically, emotionally and verbally abusive.  In the last event (two weeks ago) I was trying to leave, but she wouldn't give me my phone.  She pulled out a 12" butcher knife and threatened to cut my car tires.  I went back inside and she started to wave the knife and the look in her eyes - I locked myself in the backyard and called the police.  I did not press charges and I did not tell them there was a knife - I just wanted to leave the house in peace.

we have two children (6 and 4) who have been witness to the violence and arguments but have never been physically abused.

Past 72 hrs  - we are going to do a couples intensive counseling and the wife in the counseling team tells my wife that she needs to be checked out before couples counseling for bipolar and / or BPD.  She tells my wife that she sees a number of indicators that leads the counselor to strongly believe there is something that needs to be checked out.  My wife states there is no issue and instead decides to go to a different counselor for assessment.  This new counselor tells my wife she has ADHD and prescribes Vyvanse.

The couples counselors refuse to see us because they feel so strongly that either bipolar / BPD is at hand.

My question to a more tenured team -

what do I do? Am I rational in thinking things will get worse with my wife if she is taking ADHD medication?  is there any chance that Vyvanse could actually help my wife?  The husband in the counseling team told me that I am at a crossroads.  that if I go along with her I am not helping her I am only letting it get worse.  I have heard this from a different counselor before.

I have a busy day but will be checking back here - I am hoping for a couple of words of wisdom. 

and I will Pray.

thank you in advance

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 11:02:46 AM »

What a scary situation! I am very concerned for your safety and well being. Threats are serious but actually threatening with weapons is a sign that things are escalating quickly. Things may be safer now, but what happens next time? It's very important since physical abuse has been present in the past and seem to be heading in that direction again that you set up a safety plan for yourself and your family. Please check out or resource on Safety First.

https://bpdfamily.com/pdfs/safety_first.pdf

As for the medication, I do not have any experience with these medications. It is possible that perhaps your spouse may respond well to ADHD medication if ADHD is a co-morbid condition. It could also cause things to tip over the edge since it is an amphetamine (basically it's legal speed). In the event that she begins to become paranoid, have delusional thinking, may become hyperactive/aggressive, etc. how are you prepared to respond?  You cannot physical stop your spouse from taking this medication, but you can control how you react to her when she does use it. You are in a very tough spot.

Getting people with BPD into counseling and to stick to it is very difficult. The nature of the disorder itself prevents people from sticking with anything for long periods of time and then add the burden of acknowledging weaknesses in counseling. Add a diagnosis of an incurable mental illness into the mix and it's a recipe for rejecting help. 

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest