Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 07:52:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Girlfriend suffers from BPD.  (Read 340 times)
Don8219
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: April 26, 2017, 02:14:41 AM »

Hi just wanted to get advice and also support so I can be a better support system for my girlfriend. She has suffered from BPD for a long time but lately she has had to take on a lot more responsibility and it has caused her BPD to become much worse to the point of hospitalization. I know I can't completely help her but I want to find ways of helping not harming. She has been self medicating with alcohol which is something new that she hasn't done before. If I mention it at all she gets angry but it seems her emotions get worse with the alcohol use. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

JoeBPD81

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 04:49:14 AM »

Hey, wellcome to the family,

your position is not easy, and it's great that look for ways to make her (and yours) life better. We are a lot here that are, or have been, in your shoes, you are not alone. We will listen to your concerns, and give you our best, and you can have a look at the first steps section, because every little piece of learning opens a window that lights what was a dead end before.

I don't know much about your story. People with BPD have emotions that are so strong that hurt in an overwhelming way, they will do "whatever to end the pain". Alcohol is one of the "exists". You can help by making sure she knows you understand her pain is overwhelming, and you understand she needs to do something about it. Also that she has this new situation that is demanding and stressing. Validate her experience and her feelings... .While you don't validate the solution (alcohol) but you don't shame her about it either. When her feelings are a bit down, you can tell her you are worried that alcohol might make things worse for her while not improving her situation in any way, it shoothes the feelings, but does nothing to change what caused them. And also, after validating, and seeing it helped her with her feelings, you can ask if she wants you to help her in any way.

The situation makes her nervous, but then she is ashamed that she can't handle it (and assumes anyone else can), so shame makes it way worse. Then she is ashamed that she can't control her feelings, and so on. If she hears someone tell her sincerely it is normal and understandable that she feels so distressed, it brings the shame down.

Good luck and keep it up!

We are in this together.
Don8219
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 08:37:52 AM »

Thank you so much. It's good to have other people to talk to so that I can better understand the do's and don't's. She's had it really rough in her life so I definitely don't want to be a huge stressor even though I know she can't control it.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest