Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 01:25:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: working with ex  (Read 370 times)
vanx

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: April 26, 2017, 11:36:29 AM »

I haven't posted in a while, but have been reading the boards to help. I did have something come up recently though and thought people here could have helpful opinions.
I was dating a woman I worked with with BPD and she ended the relationship about 6 months ago. Following the breakup I left my job to get some distance to heal.
Recently, that employer contacted me about returning. I'd really like to because I loved the job and am still currently unemployed. I have some concerns that it could be difficult to see my ex, but I also have accepted that a romantic relationship between us is no good. Furthermore, I feel that the security and other positives of having the job again could outweigh the negatives of having to see her again.
 I am also concerned about being harmful to her. I reached out to her recently to let her know I was interested in maintaining a friendship if she wanted to, and she wrote about not wanting to talk to anyone she had dated, who had "seen her in a certain way or she had seen in a certain way". On one hand, I'm thinking I should not worry too much about what she thinks and just do what makes sense for me, but on the other, I am concerned about disrespecting her boundaries. She might find it sneaky if I email her about catching up, she says no, and then I'm back at work.
It's a small business so there's no avoiding each other, but I was thinking I could just tell my boss the situation and see if she'd consider not scheduling us together. I didn't mention anything before because I wanted to avoid extra drama. My boss emailed me because she was contacted about a recommendation for another job I applied for, and she wanted to check since I left maybe temporarily for personal reasons. I feel compelled to be honest about leaving because of dating my coworker, because I want her to know that I really want the job still, but that is the only reason I am conflicted. Is that sharing too much with my boss?
I know this is not exactly a detachment post, but thought maybe others out there had been in a similar situation. For me, the BPD is a factor because I don't want to trigger more bad feelings in my coworker, and because in this situation, there was no final conversation to reassure me we could get along working together. Thanks for the continued support!
Rayban

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 11:53:08 AM »

I worked with my ex and it was hard having to see her every day. This is a difficult decision.  I would say in an ideal world, you'll find a job elsewhere.  If push comes to shove, and there are no other employment opportunities then you have to prepare yourself by having an honest discussion with your boss. Lay it all on the line, be honest with her and with yourself.  You'll need to be strong reminding yourself you are there to do work.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 11:57:56 AM »

I was thinking I could just tell my boss the situation and see if she'd consider not scheduling us together.

this seems pretty reasonable to me. id keep it light and not elaborate too much.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
vanx

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 03:05:16 PM »

thank you both for your feedback. it helps to have validation of the difficulty as well as support for my plan
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest